Mid Layer help late season Montana Elk

I've tried searching the forum but couldn't find exactly what I am looking for. Here is the scenario: I am going elk hunting in Montana in late November for the first time. Camp elevation is around 8,000' and hunting will be around 9-10k. I have a 250g merino base layer, De Havilland pants, Pnuma Tenacity pants and a Pnuma Waypoint Jacket. BUT, I cannot figure out what I need for a mid layer. I have 1/4 zip athletic long sleeve shirts I can wear but the expected temps will be highs in the 20's-30's and lows down to -20. Do I need to go with fleece since it appears to be more breathable "active" or should I go the puffy jacket route? No brand loyalty, don't care if it's camo or not. I plan to be fairly active for what it's worth. Thanks in advance.

I've just used a sitka traverse style shirt / hoodie. Did that with wool shirt, traverse and then a down jacket with shell to address the wind. When moving stripped off the down / shell. Starting temps were -20 highs were single's to 20's for me in november in casper a few years back. When you are stationary at -20 you are going to want every bit of insulation you can get. bomber hat / neck beanie are a life saver. When it gets cold like that having something to breathe through and pre heat air you are breathing is critical for me to not kick off my asthma. You are going to be stripping clothes on / off no matter what you do. Make sure your vehicle is prepped...texas windshield wiper fluid needs to be drained otherwise it will freeze solid have something to clear out ice in locks all the usual nonsense. Make sure you have some handwarmers next to your water bottle so it does not hockey puck on you. It can be brutal. Hope that helps.

In my opinion you need a fleece and a puffy. I use a KUIU Strong fleece 260 and it's been great. Can't give you an honest opinion on a puffy because all of them that I've tried have been a disappointment so far. I'll get one that works eventually.

jd1006

WKR
I feel like a thick fleece vest would be the best route. Maybe even the Sawtooth Vest from First Lite being that it has light insulation, heavy 300gram wool. With being on the move, you still can vent out the heat with a vest on underneath something with some pit zips. As a standalone mid layer, I really like the Voormi High E Hoody...ton of features packed into a thick wool blend mid layer.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
For a mid layer, I'd say go with a fleece. I wear a Sitka Core Heavyweight or First Lite Klamath. But you'll definitely want puffy gear while glassing or just hanging around camp. During late season I have a First Lite Chamberlin Jacket and Kuiu Super Down Pro Pants.

jd1006

WKR
The new Kenai Jacket from Kuiu might be the ticket. It has pit zips and synthetic insulation, versatile enough to be a mid layer and an outer layer.

OP
DaleGribble
I've just used a sitka traverse style shirt / hoodie. Did that with wool shirt, traverse and then a down jacket with shell to address the wind. When moving stripped off the down / shell. Starting temps were -20 highs were single's to 20's for me in november in casper a few years back. When you are stationary at -20 you are going to want every bit of insulation you can get. bomber hat / neck beanie are a life saver. When it gets cold like that having something to breathe through and pre heat air you are breathing is critical for me to not kick off my asthma. You are going to be stripping clothes on / off no matter what you do. Make sure your vehicle is prepped...texas windshield wiper fluid needs to be drained otherwise it will freeze solid have something to clear out ice in locks all the usual nonsense. Make sure you have some handwarmers next to your water bottle so it does not hockey puck on you. It can be brutal. Hope that helps.
Good to know and I appreciate the vehicle prep info. Does it matter which insulating layer has a hood?

I kind of like to keep the outer layer as hood only. You run two or three pieces with a hood you end up with a hump under the pack.

406unltd

WKR
That time of year I go with a silk weight base, hw fleece and or sitka active depending on temps, puffy, rain jacket. Really it just depends on how hot or cold you run.