Mid layer help

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I am in the market for some mid layer pieces, I have good base layers and good late season outerwear, I am lacking in the mid layer/ mid season outer layer department, i am mostly tree stand deer hunting but do quite a bit of duck hunting and can see some western hunts in my future as well, I would like a multi purpose
mid layer clothing item that would work for all of my activities, not sure on the whole puffy vs fleece thing but ideally it would be quiet and somewhat windproof, a few pieces I have looked at have been the firstlite klamath and uncompahgre and the sitka traverse hoody and gradient hoody, I am on the right track here? Any input and reviews are appreciated and I am open to suggestions for other items that you think would work, thanks

Chuck44

FNG
Man...there are just so many options out there and everyone is going to have their own opinions and favorites based on what they have used.

I happen to use a setup similar to what you are suggesting for both Waterfowl, Deer and Western. I wear a merino baselayer, then a Sawtooth and add the Uncompahgre if 30s or below followed by a Sitka Delta Wading Jacket when Waterfowl Hunting and Rain Gear as needed otherwise. In extreme cold, I can add a fleece layer or Uncompahgre vest.

I love my (2nd gen...stay away from 1st gen) Sawtooth (once you get used to the tighter fit in the upper torso) but hear great things about the Klamath also but have no experience with it. I don't know anything about the Sitka hoodys either.

Good Luck!

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
You could give a Poncho Liner (Woobie for the Army) hoodie a try. I ordered one from amazon as my early season outer layer and my rest of the year mid layer. It’s made out of a legit poncho liner so it’s a rip stop nylon outer fabric with poly fill. Super warm and light weight, mine packs into its own hood and compresses really well. I’ve used a poncho liner from the Philippines, to okinawa to the Mojave desert. They dry fast, block wind fairly fast and they are warm. Best thing is it’s only $50 through amazon or Black rifle coffee company (only two places I’ve seen one).
I’m looking forward to testing it this spring for black bear, around town it’s plenty for our current mid 40s rainy weather.

Lawnboi

WKR
With your use in mind I wouldn’t go with a puffy jacket unless you can assess it to see if it’s quiet enough for the tree stand. I’d get a heavy fleece, or a quieter puffy