Mid Layer Pants for Stands

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I am needing some recommendations on mid layer pants for stand hunting.

Last Saturday I hunted in 25* with a north wind at 10-15 mph while sitting in the shade of a cedar tree all day. My upper body felt fine my my lower body and feet were freezing unless I was up moving around.

My base is a 200 weight merino wool union suit. On Saturday I also had a pair of Under Armour 2.0 pants, a pair of 32* joggers from Costco and then Cabelas bibs.

I ordered the UA puffy pants that are on sale and some insulated muck boots for the feet.

What I’m looking for now is better mids to replace the UA and joggers. Any thoughts on the R1 every day pants?

*zap*

WKR
Feet are key. Dry socks and dry footwear....Icebreakers overboots or some down booties and no boots. Hand warmers in bootie or overboot. If you have warm enough bibs they should do the trick...if they are not then it would be best to upgrade to a quality warm bib. Sitka fanatic and Cabelas stand hunters are what I use for real cold.....I dress cold for the walk in. Be Bold and Start Cold.

Puffy pants under bibs may get crushed and loose their insulative value...just depends on how you size that stuff.

jimh406

WKR
It's a little work to carry, but I like Insulated Coveralls that I put on after I get to the stand, sized a little big to allow for air. The problem with pants is the air gap. A warm hat and neck protection is important, but I avoid hoods since they prevent left/right head movement if they are thick enough to do a good job.

OP
B

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll try the puffies under my bibs but I suspect they will be crushed like you suggested.

I was thinking about trying my wool base, new mid layer if I find one, fleece lined Eddie Bauer/Orvis pants to hike in and then put the puffies on in the stand.

Some of my hikes are basically out the back door and some are close to a mile.

Bib upgrades are the next step.

*zap*

WKR
goosefeet gear makes a down balaclava that can be purchased with overfill....darn warm headwear and very light. I have a regular fill one and am ordering a max overfill one this week.. Those are very awesome for sleeping while camping also.

For stationary make sure your keeping your feet and head very warm....

Put on boot blankets and Toss in two hot hand. This is doing two things keeping your boots off the cold metal stand and adding chemical warmth. Also allows me to run uninsulated boots down past freezing. The artic shields also block the wind

Look at the pad on your stand. I bet you're getting cold soaked there too. Like a bad sleeping pad.

I bet you legs are getting cold from the wind pulling heat off you. Look at the Sanctuary bibs. They will roast you. Just don't brush bust with them! I pack them to and from the stand. You will sweat if you hike in them.

When it's cold I run first lite Kiln long handles, fleece wader pants all under my hunting pants (Kuiu attack). Hit the stand and bibs go on!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear these SKRE kodiak pants https://skregear.com/products/kodiak-pant
They are pretty similar to their soft shell jacket-- fleece lined good wind blocking quality and things don't tend to stick to the outer shell material. Hip zippers to regulate heat walking in or as the day warms up. They are my go to pants down to mid 30s then I'll need heavier thermals or step up to puffy pants or bibs.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

brandr67

FNG

These things are pretty sweet!
One of the pictures describes them as "waterproof in some degree" lol.

ckk416

FNG
I really like the Sitka Midi pants as a mid layer under my bibs - I put them on under my Nomad Harvester bibs, which block the wind, and I was fine in ~20 degree temps and wind here in MI the other weekend.

Cold feet: I used to get cold feet until I did two things: 1. I got a pair of boots 1 size larger than I'd typically wear. 2. I got IceBreaker boot blankets. When it gets cold enough I use the ice breaker boot blankets - your feet will tell you when you need to be using them. Depending on the size of your boots they can be tricky to get them on, especially in the dark. And when it gets really cold I throw a handwarmer into each and my feet stay nice and toasty. The boot blankets were a game changer for me....

jd1006

WKR
I like the Kuiu Kenai pants. Quiet, easy on, don’t take up too much room. I also like that the Jacket has pit zips and can allow you to walk in wearing it, if you want.

I’ve been curious about the Traverse Bib; the hoody is very warm, but I wonder if that would be too much build to bring in.