Mid-Level Spotting Scope Review

Ram94

WKR
I recently had the opportunity to compare a few different spotting scopes side by side and figured I would share my thoughts.

I had been using the 20-60x80mm Vortex Viper for the past 4 years and got by okay with it but was struggling with its size and weight in the pack so decided to go for a smaller 65mm scope. I had read nothing but good reviews about the Athlon Ares 15-45x65mm and had seen it compared to the Vortex Razor many times. When they went on sale, I went for it and ordered one up. A friend of mine was generous enough to lend me his 65mm Gen1 Razor to compare so that I could see for myself. If the Athlon didn’t stack up, I would return it and look for a used Razor. A couple days later, a coworker decided to also lend me his Pentax 65edii with a fixed 28x eyepiece to add to the mix.

Later that week I received the Athlon and was a bit taken back at the compact size. It really looks more like a 50mm than a 65mm but if it can hang, then that’s a great feature. I got out yesterday and put them to the test.

Really, the 65mm Pentax, 65mm Razor and 65mm Athlon beat out the 80mm Viper pretty easily. I set up on a hill off the side of the highway and was looking at two trucks parked 950 yards away. With the Viper, I couldn’t read the license plates through any of the zoom range. I really could barely make out that there was letters and numbers there. The Pentax, was the nicest image but I was not quite able to read the plates either. (maybe with a higher mag fixed eyepiece or zoom eyepiece, but this is what I had to compare) The Razor and Athlon I could read the license plates from about 30x to 45x and there was not a noticeable difference between them. A bit better eye relief on the Razor but wider picture on the Athlon. To my eyes, it was too close to call one better than the other.

I’m very impressed with the Ares as it is considerably less expensive than the other scopes and boasts the same no fault warranty as Vortex. All this in a smaller/lighter package. Needless to say, I’ll be keeping the Ares simply for the fact that it is smaller and performs identical to the Razor. I don’t think you can go wrong either way though. Reading a plate at nearly 1000 yards is pretty impressive in my mind without taking out a second mortgage to buy glass.

80mm Viper
65mm Razor
65mm Ares
2a8826a0b095fbed5f92fbcf1676453d.jpg

65mm Pentax
65mm Razor
65mm Ares
77daa869d11d0f7298313c72b8e499ab.jpg

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
Vortex Viper 20-60x80mm - 67 oz

Pentax EDii 65mm fixed 28x - 54 oz

Vortex Razor 15-48x65mm - 52 oz

Athlon Ares 15-45x65mm - 48 oz

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
Thank you! I was actually having fun obsessing over the small details for a while. In the end, I’m happy to not be lugging around that huge 80mm anymore.

Decker9

WKR
Great comparison! That Athlon is a sweet lookin little scope. I’m a big fan of the pentax ed65 with the 20-60x. I compare it to my swarovski ats 65 quite often, the difference is very minimal, optically.

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
I have used all 4 in low light and would still rank them about the same. That Pentax with the fixed power is super bright! The Viper isn't impressive even with the extra lens size. I honestly cant tell a difference in performance between the Razor & Ares.

Nice write up 👍. I'm looking to buy my first spotter and have been told from several others to not go with anything less than the 80mm but it seems like many of you like the 65mm. I would be using it for a western hunt and carrying it around in my pack so I like the smaller size of the ares...

The low light is awesome on the Ares 65mm. I can’t see anything around me outside the scope and I’m admiring critters on the hills. Once you get used to the size and weight of this scope—and the fact that it’s a 65mm not a 50mm— it’s hard to consider anything else. I love mine.

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
Nice write up . I'm looking to buy my first spotter and have been told from several others to not go with anything less than the 80mm but it seems like many of you like the 65mm. I would be using it for a western hunt and carrying it around in my pack so I like the smaller size of the ares...

I had been steered that way with my first spotter as well and was kicking myself for it afterwards. It just kind of made sense that a larger scope would perform better but after being able to get behind them all side by side, I was pretty surprised. I’m sure with the top end scopes, you will see that benefit with a larger objective, but on the mid level scopes anything over 45x or so is basically unusable anyways. When I was judging my ram this year for legality with my Viper, I had to turn it back down to 40x or so as it was way more clear. That’s what got me looking into a smaller scope.

Good to know! Do they make this in a straight version or only angled? I was thinking straight would be my choice but haven't seen this unit in a straight version. Seems like people are split on which is better...

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
The new gen 2 version comes in a straight and the ability to change eyepieces from straight to angled to fixed power. From what I understand, they also changed what they call the glass (ED is now called UHD) but it is the same glass and they changed the exterior of the scope for some zest!

The new gen 2 version comes in a straight and the ability to change eyepieces from straight to angled to fixed power. From what I understand, they also changed what they call the glass (ED is now called UHD) but it is the same glass and they changed the exterior of the scope for some zest!

I may be wrong, but I dont think the new ones have the ability to change from straight to angled. The eyepieces change from variable power to fixed power, but your scope is still a straight or an angled.

I love my Ares scope!

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
You could be right on that, I got the gen 1 on blowout sale and haven't looked too far into the new version.