Mid/Low Price Binos

KineKilla

WKR
I've been using Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42's for several years and have loved them even though they are low priced. I'm feeling it is time to upgrade but will not be spending $1,000 + for binoculars in the near future. I'm currently looking at something in the $3-500 range. Specifically, I'm considering these ones but welcome any other suggestions. I know binoculars and their image quality is subjective and I will look through the ones I can in person before buying but like to have an idea of what to look for when I walk into the store.

Zeiss Terra ED
Leupold BX-4
Vortex Viper HD
Nikon Monarch 7

All those are in roughly the same price range, oh and warranty does matter....any input would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Vortex Viper HD...no complaints here and have used the higher end optics as well. I feel it's a fair balance between quality and cost. You are going to get fan boys of every brand named. Loopy is great too. Both have great warrantys and track records. Good luck!

OP
KineKilla

KineKilla

WKR
Thanks. I forgot to add that I only use an elastic type bino harness so whatever they are they have to include decent lens caps....may seem trivial but it's important to me.

ZMT588

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used them but don't rule out Mavens! Heard good things about them.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I would give Doug at Cameraland NY a call. He could recommend some great glass at that price range. I have some at that price range that perform very well.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Vortex Viper HD...no complaints here and have used the higher end optics as well. I feel it's a fair balance between quality and cost. You are going to get fan boys of every brand named. Loopy is great too. Both have great warrantys and track records. Good luck!
+1
f.png

OP
KineKilla

KineKilla

WKR
I would give Doug at Cameraland NY a call. He could recommend some great glass at that price range. I have some at that price range that perform very well.

I've been looking at his site and he lists MANY binos in that price range.
I'm hesitant to ask a sales person that sells that many options for suggestions because if he doesn't recommend them...then why is he selling them?
Just my thoughts. I may end up calling him anyways to gain perspective on the situation.

I love my Maven C.1s, but if you wanna spend more, the nikons or Leupolda. Vortex warranty is great, but you will probably need to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rj2

WKR
Definitely give maven C1's a look, and even the B3 8x30. I think they might be running 15% sale right now

blktail74

FNG
I run the Vortex Vipers 12X50, about $550; night and day difference from the Vortex Diamondback. I recommend looking through one and then the other immediately thereafter to compare the two. They've worked very well for the type of hunting I do, though I am looking to upgrade my spotting scope to a Vortex Razor.

OP
KineKilla

KineKilla

WKR
Just noticed that Maven has a try before you buy program...I'll add them to the short list

LightFoot

WKR
I have a pair of Maven C.3 10x50s. Good glass that I bought as a backup pair to my Leica 8x42s. The maven has a good strap and covers that come with, but I use a harness/pack, so those don't matter to me.

The Mavens are great for the low cost. I'm gonna run them exclusively on my next hunt to see how they hold up and perform over a week or so of hard hunting.

Before I sprung for Leica, I was using Nikon Monarchs. They were (are) good. Too many models to choose from Nikon now. Cutting hairs between each model.

Leupold is also a solid choice.

Hard to make a bad buy in that price range so long as you stick with well known companies.

>>>----JAKE----->

ChrisAU

WKR
Out of those 4 I'd say the BX-4 followed by the Vipers. I really love the diopter adjustment of the BX-4's, you aren't going to accidentally move it. @Newtosavage has compared them to a lot of binos and the glass holds up very well.

Out of those 4 I'd say the BX-4 followed by the Vipers. I really love the diopter adjustment of the BX-4's, you aren't going to accidentally move it. @Newtosavage has compared them to a lot of binos and the glass holds up very well.
The view from the BX-4's really remind me of the Maven C3's but with a little better ergonomics and construction and a slightly wider field of view. But brightness and sharpness, they are comparable, and really leave nothing to be desired.

Rodéo

WKR
In my search for $3-500 bino's I tried vortex vipers (8x42 and 10x50), maven C.1 (10x42), Tract Toric 1st Gen (8x42), and Bx-4's (10x42). And those are only the ones that I remember.

The BX-4's, Toric, and Maven stood out. I ended up with the Tract since I felt they had the sharpest and brightest view of all the bino's I tried. Only complaint with them is non-locking diopter but I think they updated that in the new version they have for sale now. The BX-4's are right behind the Toric's optically imo and I liked the ergonomics better on the leupold but just barely. Not enough to keep them over the Toric.

Returned the C.1's because the view at the edges just wasn't as sharp as I wanted, keep in mind, you save about $200 by choosing the C.1's over the Toric so you should do the comparison yourself if possible. Other than slightly higher CA and smaller sweet spot on the Mavens, the glass was very good for the price, better than the made in japan vipers (10x50) and made in phillipines viper (8x42) that I had.

Hope this helps.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Nikons which are great but a little heavy. Haven’t tried their binos but like the Leupold scopes I have.

Don't leave out the Meopta Meopro out of your search. To me, they're better glass than the Viper as I have compared them side by side. I do not have any experience with the others you've mentioned.

Doug can definitely help you out with several pairs in your price range. Also if you call in and talk to him he will usually quote you a better price than what is advertised on his website. Good luck

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running the vipers for a couple years and really like them. Was just posting the same on a similar bino question today-> I think they are some of the best bang for the buck all around 10x42s you can get.

Definitely encourage looking through a few different binos if you get the chance. If you are going in store, go late as light is fading.Will be easier to pick out differences. Otherwise it can be hard to tell some binos in the same class apart aside from weight, fit, feel, finish, etc.