Mid/Low Price Binos

OP
KineKilla

KineKilla

WKR
Thanks for all the replies! The search continues. Haven't made it into a store here yet. There is a guy locally with a good deal on BNIB BX-4's...might be bale to work something out there. If not I'll have to keep looking obviously.

Thanks for all the replies! The search continues. Haven't made it into a store here yet. There is a guy locally with a good deal on BNIB BX-4's...might be bale to work something out there. If not I'll have to keep looking obviously.

I think Leupold got a lot of things right with the BX-4 open hinge bins. They don't lead the pack in any particular category (except maybe ergonomics because of the open hinge) but when you add all the features together, they are really hard to beat for the money.

I can afford any pair of binoculars I want. And those are my daily drivers now.

cowsandgrass

Lil-Rokslider
I tried vipers monarch 7s and Maven C.1. Maven impressed me the most so I bought them. Not that the others were bad but the Mavens gave me somewhat of a wow factor at a lower cost with a great warranty.

mechengr

FNG
I definitely recommend considering the Maven C-series as well. As a bonus, they're running a 15% off sale right now through the end of April. Pretty hard to beat the performance for those prices in my opinion

OP
KineKilla

KineKilla

WKR
Now I just need stores to get over there Corona fears and allow people to come in and actually touch their binoculars for demo....

Spoke with the gents over at cameraland this afternoon and while they do have valuable insight, even they say that optics and optic quality is so subjective it's impossible to tell someone what the best for them is going to be.

Last edited:
I’m in the market for a pair of binos before the start of the season. My intention all along has been to purchase the Meopta Meostars but I‘ve been hearing a lot of the Maven’s. How do you get your hands on a pair Without buying first?? They’re not sold in stores right?

I stopped in Cabelas yesterday and looked at the Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid and Vortex Razor All in 10x42. I wouldn’t even have looked at the Vortex if the employee hadn’t pulled them out of the case. Truthfully I liked them the best of the 3. I know it’s hard to judge inside of a store but my eyes like them the best. Seems like a quality build As they all did. Too bad there’s no place to go to compare them all at 1 time.

HuntNTag

WKR
I’m in the market for a pair of binos before the start of the season. My intention all along has been to purchase the Meopta Meostars but I‘ve been hearing a lot of the Maven’s. How do you get your hands on a pair Without buying first?? They’re not sold in stores right?

I stopped in Cabelas yesterday and looked at the Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid and Vortex Razor All in 10x42. I wouldn’t even have looked at the Vortex if the employee hadn’t pulled them out of the case. Truthfully I liked them the best of the 3. I know it’s hard to judge inside of a store but my eyes like them the best. Seems like a quality build As they all did. Too bad there’s no place to go to compare them all at 1 time.

Meopta Meostar/Cabelas Euro HD or Maven B3/B5 are the 2 best out of this group. I have both but I tend to favor my meopta’s out of this bino group.

If you want the mavens to test, they do a demo program. Order whatever you like and you pay for it up front plus shipping. You then send back any/all of them and get a refund for whatever is sent back. If you keep anything, you already paid for it and the demo program gives you a small discount on the product. They send you a return shipping label in the box as well so you aren’t paying for shipping both ways.

Hope that helps!

Out of the ones you’ve listed I’d go with the vortex vipers. I got the old lady a set and I feel like I got a great deal. Really good quality at that price range. I have some really nice $2000 binoculars, but every time I look through hers I’m always like “These are are really good” especially for what I paid

Rob5589

WKR
I bought a pair of MeoPro 10x42 from Cameraland. Clear, good eye relief, smooth focus, no eye fatigue. Solid set of bino's for a touch over 400.

Meopta Meostar/Cabelas Euro HD or Maven B3/B5 are the 2 best out of this group. I have both but I tend to favor my meopta’s out of this bino group.

If you want the mavens to test, they do a demo program. Order whatever you like and you pay for it up front plus shipping. You then send back any/all of them and get a refund for whatever is sent back. If you keep anything, you already paid for it and the demo program gives you a small discount on the product. They send you a return shipping label in the box as well so you aren’t paying for shipping both ways.

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot! This is really useful info. I checked out the Maven website and really like the custom color optiones but I assume you wouldn’t be able to do the demo program with a custom color combo. Also interested in seeing what the changes in the new Meopta binos are going to be later this. Decisions decisions

HuntNTag

WKR
Thanks a lot! This is really useful info. I checked out the Maven website and really like the custom color optiones but I assume you wouldn’t be able to do the demo program with a custom color combo. Also interested in seeing what the changes in the new Meopta binos are going to be later this. Decisions decisions

Doug from cameraland could tell you more on the Meostar B1 as it’s being named B1.1 but I think it’s the body of it with the same glass. The body is moving to an open hinge design. Might be lighter as well.

The demo can’t be custom colored but they do demo different patterns that they have made and or are open box returns that someone might have not wanted in the end. I demoed a pair that had the Kings camo and it was pretty sweet to get something you wouldn’t have made and then think it looks great. Almost like a little surprise.

OP
KineKilla

KineKilla

WKR
I contacted Maven and their demo program is a decent option and really their only option since they are going the way of KUIU and not selling in retail stores. I just couldn't bring myself to pay (non refundable shipping fees) to look through a set. I think I will wait until our next outdoors expo and stop by their booth. May not be in the market for binos at that time but I'll still stop in and check out their offerings.

I can't help but wonder if Vortex isn't simply popular due to their marketing or due to the "fanboy, do as I do" clubs out there. You find more of their products in the classifieds than any other which begs the question...if they really are as good as they say they are then why is everyone selling? I will still test a pair out in store though to find out what MY eyes say about it.

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
Spend an extra hundred or so and get a pair of the Nikon HG. I have owned the vipers before and they are average. Had a pair of Swarovski SLC and sold them and bought the HG. Great FOV.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Spend an extra hundred or so and get a pair of the Nikon HG. I have owned the vipers before and they are average. Had a pair of Swarovski SLC and sold them and bought the HG. Great FOV.

Did you sell the SLC to recoup some money and buy a bino that is close to the SLC for much less money or are saying the HG is a better bino than the SLC??

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
Did you sell the SLC to recoup some money and buy a bino that is close to the SLC for much less money or are saying the HG is a better bino than the SLC??
I didn't like the focus knob on the SLC. Great optics but I like everything about the HG. Happy with my decision. Thinking about the HG in 10x also

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I've been looking at his site and he lists MANY binos in that price range.
I'm hesitant to ask a sales person that sells that many options for suggestions because if he doesn't recommend them...then why is he selling them?
Just my thoughts. I may end up calling him anyways to gain perspective on the situation.

Ha-I totally agree with you-I have a buddy that sells trucks, and was second guessing him at times!

My question would be more along the lines of does the bino salesman ACTUALLY hunt/glass/spend time in the field using them.

To your original question-Leupold hands down 👍 🇺🇸