Mid priced western hunt this fall - find me a guide

Throwing this out there to see what comes back.

My buddy and I live in the east and have been bow hunting white tails for two years with good success. We had been circling the idea of a 2018 western trip but may move it up and try to go this fall for various reasons.

Mule deer or elk. Primary consideraions would be having a good time, meat in the freezer, decent rack and nice scenery, in that order. We want to do something backpacking with modest mileage. We are both 40s, good shape, former army and capable shooters with bow and gun at mid distance.

We have no plans or experience in western hunts so are scrambling to put something together. We realize a guide is going to be needed to pull this off.

So...who can put me onto an outfitter or guide that can help me?

topher89

WKR
Have you given any thought to an antelope hunt? To me, it is a classic western hunt albeit different than packing into the mountains for elk. You get big, wide open country, plenty of time glassing, some great spot and stalks and the potential to have a couple tags and take multiple pronghorns.

Lots of opportunities to be guided in Wyoming or even an easier DIY.

Since drawings for all western states should be over by now, you would be limited to over the counter tags in Colorado or Idaho. Hopefully someone who has done a guided trip in one of those states will chime in soon

Have you given any thought to an antelope hunt? To me, it is a classic western hunt albeit different than packing into the mountains for elk. You get big, wide open country, plenty of time glassing, some great spot and stalks and the potential to have a couple tags and take multiple pronghorns.

Lots of opportunities to be guided in Wyoming or even an easier DIY.

I like this idea, and not difficult to be successful without a guide

OP
Desk Jockey
I think we are set on deer or elk. Mountains are preferred.

How do I pair up an OTC tag in Colorado or Idaho with a guide service that can help me put it together?

Is Western Canada worth looking into?

Hall256

WKR
There is a booking service called Got Hunts...and they got really good reviews by several members on here in the past. Given that it looks like you are starting from scratch and your looking this year they might be a good place to start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
I would pay a consulting service and go do it yourself. Might check with Robby Denning.