mid range (600yd) scope insight and experience

I went down this rabbit hole as well and ended up with a Leupold Vx-5. Second focal planes scopes using reticle for holdover require you to be at a specific magnification adjustment. Holdovers are possible, it's just a variable you need to pay attention to. With a first focal plane the reticle grows and shrinks with magnification but your holds don't change based on your magnification setting. They tend to be heavier and the reticle is small on low magnification setting. So I found a SFP with a dial to be the preference for me. Dial for elevation, hold for wind. It's not so bad estimating what 6,12,18 inches of wind hold is when settling in on deer sized game. You don't need big magnification to shoot long range. 10-12 is adequate. 15 is nice to have, anything more imho is overkill.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
Thanks for the offer, backcountry, but I picked up a credo hx, not sure now if it will go on my 7-08 or not. Pretty darn large for my compact little a bolt micro medallion. I may have to start looking for a 7 mag to put my new scope on :)

Thanks for the offer, backcountry, but I picked up a credo hx, not sure now if it will go on my 7-08 or not. Pretty darn large for my compact little a bolt micro medallion. I may have to start looking for a 7 mag to put my new scope on :)
how are you liking that scope?

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
I actually haven't used it yet. It is considerably larger than the current scope i have on that gun so I decided to stick with what I had. I am thinking of getting a 7mm mag and using that scope or maybe putting it on my AR for coyote hunting

Ssmith6

FNG
Zeiss V4 fits your needs perfectly. On my rigs I'm weight conscious on I run the Leupold Vx-3is and their equivalents and have been nothing but happy with them. If i recall correctly its 15 oz for the 4.5-14x40mm and 600 yd is no problem at all with them.