mid range (600yd) scope insight and experience

mdkelley

FNG
My brain is exploding trying to research a decent scope to put on a 7mm-08 compact rifle. I always have kept my shots to within 250yds so I haven't had to mess with adjusting the scope. This year will be my third and fourth trips out west hunting (I normally hunt Michigan where shooting distance where I hunt is less than 250) I am wanting to buy a decent optic that I can use for punching paper out to 600yds and eventually hunting medium sized game out to 500-600yds and probably steel gongs at random distances for fun. On this rifle I currently have a diavari C 3-9x36 MC so there is no knob twisting or usable reticle markings for what I am looking to get into. I was originally thinking of going to a Z5 3.8-18 BRH reticle but after researching it seems the erector can be suspect on that scope. I also looked at the NXS which led to the NX8... and also read some about the Mark 5HD 3.6-18. I have read a ton of posts on here and some shooting specific forums and all the extra info doesn't help since I am starting out clueless here.

So, hoping those with a bit of experience can chime in with what they would buy based on their experience. Also, any comments on a good hunting reticle for a mid range scope like this? I don't know if I would prefer twisting dials or ballistic style reticles, only ever used duplex type scopes. Looking for insight from others who have been here (starting out learning to shoot farther) and what works and what to avoid. Would like to keep the price under $2K but most importantly I want to buy something reliable that will work for me for many years. I won't be getting into any 1000yd stuff with this rifle either.

So, based on all my research so far, these two are kind of standing out from the crowd based on my criteria:
NXS 2.5-10x42
MK5HD 3.6-18

EDIT: I guess include NXS 3.5-15 since it is similar mag as the leupold...

the very popular SWFA 6x and 3-9x are all on backorder but I have read good things about those also.

But like I said, I have zero experience and reading specs online won't really get me very far so hoping people who have already went through this and tried a few different setups can short cut my process or at least throw a compass or map in my hand and point me in the general direction.

summary:
Primary use - Hunting
Primary distance - 100-600yds
Primary concern - reliability
secondary concern - optical quality
know I don't know - Reticle style
Budget - <$2K

Matt

Last edited:

JakeM51

FNG
You can find used 4-16 nightforce ATACRs right at, and below $2,000.

I'm not sure how many times a bunch of us have recommended this in the last month. Do some searching.
Ziess v4 demo from Redhawk rifles.

Flogger

FNG
For sub 600 yards the Leupold vx5hd 3-15x has been a great scope on my .280. You could put the savings towards ammo or a reloading setup.

Take a look at the Vortex Razor LHT. Pretty solid reviews with a hunting season under its belt. I have three older Razor LHs (predecessor to the LHT) that have served me well. One (on a T1X in 17 HMR) literally gets dialed several hundred times a year and has been flawless.

I have two VX5HDs and a VX6HD that have been dialed a lot and have been issue free.

Lots of options out there.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
thanks guys. I have done a ton of searching and reading but thanks for the suggestion!

Seems the zeiss is definitely loved by many but my searching had seemed to highlight that zeiss still suffers from erector issues as well. Maybe my search terms are inaccurate or the "anything other than nightforce" crowd just floods the forums and spreads rumors about other brands.

I appreciate the help, I don't know about this topic and so can't sort the garbage from the goods.

I have been reloading for over 20 years so good there 🙂

going to dive deeper into the v4, thanks again!

You're find poor turret system reviews on V series scopes?
I haven't seen one yet.
The Ziess scopes prior to the V series were actually produced by meopta

I like everything about the Vortex Razor LHT except that the zero stop is 5 clicks "below" your zero. I'd rather just have it go to zero. I like everything about the Zeiss V4 except the elevation turret will spin without lifting it. I wish it were like the Vortex and you had to lift to turn.

So I'm trying to decide between those two and which is more important to me.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
@BRTreedogs - I committed a generalization error. I have read that the Zeiss scopes in general (not V series explicitly) are not considered as reliable/repeatable as offerings from Nightforce or SWFA (and some high end brands that cost more than I want to spend) so I automatically and ignorantly excluded all Zeiss models. The same could be said for Leupold (many reports of reliability/repeatability issues across models) yet many people claim they have seen great reliability/repeatability from the MK5 over the last couple years so I had excluded all Leupold models other than the MK5.

So, bottom line, thank you for helping me see the light! I am now reading up on the V series Zeiss line. I am not even sure how much reliability/repeatability I actually need (part of what I am trying to find out with this thread, what has worked for others starting out like me), I just want to get a really dependable optic and it just doesn't seem cut/dry on riflescopes. I went through a similar process in choosing binoculars (8x and 15x) and it seemed to be pretty universally accepted that you couldn't go wrong with swarovski so it made the process easy - just had to save up for a couple years. I was going to buy a swaro riflescope but reading about repeatability issues on their Z5 line is what started me down this rabbit hole!

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
Does anyone have any suggestions on reticle style or features? Say a ballistic ranging like ZBR2 vs standard MOA hash reticle like the ZMOA2? Is illumination necessary? I know when I used to hunt with a sight on my bow the lit pins didn't help me at all, hunting hours were over before it was dark enough to need them around here.

I'm running zmoa 2 on both of mine.
But I believe something with a 1 moa mark appears to be more universal as far as different brands across the board say if you end up mixing and matching different models or brands on different rifles.
Friend also just picked up a V4 with the T30 and says the dots are so small he doesn't really notice them and he likes it.

Illumination is completely unnecessary for me. Only a very few circumstances is night hunting legal in Oregon

TexasCub

WKR
Does anyone have any suggestions on reticle style or features? Say a ballistic ranging like ZBR2 vs standard MOA hash reticle like the ZMOA2? Is illumination necessary? I know when I used to hunt with a sight on my bow the lit pins didn't help me at all, hunting hours were over before it was dark enough to need them around here.
You really need to hit up a store that has a decent optics inventory and try to look through the different scopes. Not everyone likes all the mil /x mas tree reticles. You also need to look through a first focal plane reticle to see the difference between a first and second focal plane reticle at the lower powers on said scope, with and without illumination, It’s going to be really hard for guys to decide for you what you’ll like. They are all really different and spending in excess of a grand for something with no idea how youll like it is quite the gamble.

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
A store with a good inventory would be a good start but there’s nothing like actually looking through a scope out in the field. I have a v4 and have had no problems with it it’s a great scope. I’d say I love it but looking through my brothers z5 out in the field makes me a tad bit envious every time. You wouldn’t be wrong going either way but if I could go back I would’ve spent the extra couple of $ and got the z5. The glass in swaro is just too damn good.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
never read much about trijicon hunting scopes and repeatability. I have a good friend that has 20+ years working there so he could probably educate me on his optics reliability. Usually they tout the acog line. I know he said they released a bunch of new stuff a couple years ago.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Watch the SWFA samplelist, snag a 3-9x42 MQ next time one pops up. One just sold for $450. It’s absolutely ideal for your primary and secondary concerns.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
I ordered a Credo HX 2.5-15x42 MOA reticle. I know Trijicon has great glass, I've looked through many of their optics over the years. Like was mentioned about the Zeiss V4 line, I can't seem to find anything but positive stuff about Trijicon being durable/repeatable as well. It was a bit cheaper than a MK5 or Nightforce so like someone said, I can use the extra $$ to put toward overpriced ammo/components to practice more. I think I was getting caught up in the "nightforce is the only reliable option" talk that is prevalent on some long range or tactical forums. Thanks for expanding my options guys!