Mid range bow upgrade?

BryceB

FNG
So I have been shooting my Samick sage for a while and now I am looking to upgrade. I do not have the money for a custom bow. What are good options in the $200 to $400 range? Are the bear bows a step up in performance from Samick? Is Samick still selling hunting bows in this price range? I would like to try a left hand one piece recurve 45 to 50 pounds.
Thanks for your help.

Beendare

WKR
Oh, you are a fellow lefty.

You can buy a used riser and pretty darn good ILF limbs for about $400. Or you can find a used bow for that price.

FWIW, I'm probably going to list my LH Tradtech 17" Aluminum riser soon on AT for $275.....it will go quick. I've got 5 risers and think I'm going to stick with the 19"ers now.

______

rms gear have an incredible selection of used bows. That's where I'd go, or maybe check out Big Jims used bows.

I think there are so many quality used bows out there that shoot like new that unless you are buying a new custom (for a timber traditional bow) its worth buying second hand as you'll get a much better bow for the price than a new samick/bear/martin ect...

OP
B

BryceB

FNG
Thanks for the replies. Buying something used is at the top of my list right now. Just wondering what I should be looking for. Are some the Bear bows an upgrade from the samick I am shooting?
Also I am not against an ILF set that is just unfamiliar to me and I would want one with more of traditional style.

jwal

FNG
You can get very nice used bows on most of the traditional forums. You are going to just have to try a few until you find out what you like.

oldgoat

WKR
So I have been shooting my Samick sage for a while and now I am looking to upgrade. I do not have the money for a custom bow. What are good options in the $200 to $400 range? Are the bear bows a step up in performance from Samick? Is Samick still selling hunting bows in this price range? I would like to try a left hand one piece recurve 45 to 50 pounds.
Thanks for your help.
You need to save up another $150-200 and buy a better quality used bow! That's almost all I buy is used! Tons of great customs out there for just a little more money!

Wrench

WKR
The tomahawk can be had used in that price range and is a tremendous value. Its good to look at and performance is right in the hunt with the big dogs.

Save up and buy used....go on trade talk or archery talk. Lots of really nice custom bows going for good prices. 700$ is a good mid way price for a used bow. Lots of cheap options that will fling an arrow but I think you'll upgrade again anyways...just my opinion.

Ddog

WKR
You can find a hell of a used bow in your budget range. On the cheaper (vintage) end, look at Damon Howatt bows, Bear, Shakespeare, etc...

For $400 you could find a good deal on a used custom that's considered middle of the road, or luck into a really nice one for close to that. My advise (which I can never follow) is to be patient and keep watch until something you'd like to try pops up. You can also go to CTAS HIgh Country shoot this year and try different bows, plus I'm sure there will be folks there selling them.

As mentioned, RMSGear by Denver is an awesome shop with tons of used bows. Last trip through, I dropped way too much money.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Keep an eye out for an RER one piece if that's what you are wanting. Should be in your budget. Keep an eye on Leatherwall. If you can get to one of the big trad shoots you'll get to try a bunch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk