Mid Sept Tactics for Elk

Deadfall

WKR
You new guys would be very wise to get that elknut app. I think anyway. To have real time access to what and why elk are doing what they are doing.....when you don't know....absolutely priceless. I don't know much about that app. From the 2 videos I watched of Paul....I would and do guess he is the best kept secret that's not secret for new guys just getting going. Or for guts that been at it a few years with limited success.

10 or 20 bucks for a lifetime of knowledge...lethal knowledge....come on...

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've pulled in multiple bulls by pretending to be an elk milf with child in tow. I do a long sexy cow call or two followed by a whiny little calf and then make like a "shut up" noise (to the calf) with the cow call. It's kind of hard to explain but it works.

Also I make cow calls and a small sounding bull in a set. This is to make the bigger bulls think a satellite has some cows. It works too.

cnelk

WKR
If you’re hunting with a couple buddies, we like to use the ‘Triangle’

Everyone calls and is a shooter in the triangle. If someone sees an elk coming in, they stop calling and the other 2 keep calling.

The elk comes right past the shooter and Whack!

We’ve killed so many elk doing this

My son killed his first elk this way.

rgwaldron

FNG
Ever run into a big bull with cows? Can't figure out how to get him away from the cows. Most will say it can't be done. It's very doable. Takes patience and timing.

This is a tough situation. One I absolutely live for. At the end you should be completely wiped out, physically, mentally, emotionally exhausted.

Firstly, you absolutely must have a idea of what the bull is saying and be able to tell when he is getting emotional.

If he won't come in, make him think another bull has come and is stealing a hot cow. For this make him think a cow has been trying to coax him over. Then move back a few hundred yards like 6 or 8 and talk to the hot cow. Then come back up and be the hot cow and move away from the target a hundred yards or so. Then go be the other bull except only go a couple hundred yards away. Then come back. If done properly the bull should think another bull has found a hot cow in his group and is taking her. Pretend you are a cow that wants the other bull. Don't bugle anymore. Become a excited cow and slowly moving away from target toward the other bull.

I've seen it take 3 or 4 hours to coerce the big bull with cows away from his herd.

Be gentle, patient and slow. Its a chess match. Once you unlock the sequence in this scenario your elk hunting life will change forever.

I've seen big bull come a long long ways. To retrieve his hot cow.
Sounds like this would be way easier to do with 2 hunters.

NRMike

FNG
Been elk hunting a couple years now. I do all of the research, escouting, done the online modules etc. but there were still a lot of unanswered questions I had. I have yet to fill a tag, but this will be the first year using the knowledge i have learned this past year from Elknut's App. and this thread is just the icing on the cake.

feel that i will now be hunting with a purpose as opposed to just hikin around with a bow hoping to get runover by some elk. I hope to fill that first tag this year, but I am very confident that if I don't, i will at least have some encounters to start learning from and gain experience on.

I used to pour over unit data and compare stats etc. , you know, cause that's what everybody does.....

None of that amounts to squat if you don't know how to find th em or what to do when you do find them.

This thread is gold IMO.

The answer for every first time hunter that posts questions about units, areas, etc. should be read this thread, throw a dart at the map and go hunt.

Thanks Deadfall, Elknut, and the other posters here for the info!