Mid Weight Jacket

I'm looking for a quality mid weight jacket and was considering either the Sitka Jetstream or the Firstlite Catalyst. It's use will be for early to mid season whitetail, elk and antelope hunting. I already have a Kifarui Lost Park Parka so I'm good for a think insulating layer. Does anyone have any experience with these two jackets or can you guys recommend any other ones to look at? Thanks

I have had both - I sold the Jetstream because of the fit - I have a long torso, its a great jacket if the fits is right. If you bowhunt the catalyst is as good as it gets for quietness. The Jetstream definitely blocks the wind better, but the catalyst does a pretty good job as well.

If you’re more stationary while wearing the jacket I’d got Jet Stream. I concur with it blocking wind better out of the two. I do not find mind to breathe all that well in comparison to others I have. I use it mostly now for late season hunts and coyote hunting in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Funny you mention the fit of the jetstream. I was just reading reviews about how it fit funny. I normally wear a xxl in jackets so I have room to layer underneath but it sounds like I may need a xxxl or even a xxxl tall. Are the weight and packabilty similar in both jackets?

Weight and Packability are similar, maybe a slight advantage to the Catalyst. I wish Sitka would make the Jetstream in a tall version, maybe they do and I just haven't seen it. Either way, I'm very happy with the Catalyst.

OP
T
Sitka actually does offer a tall in their jetstream. At least from the websites I was looking at them on.

How does the sizing compare with other jackets? From the sounds of it if I go that route I will need to size up one size.

I just purchased a Jetstream in large tall about a month ago. So far I have been pretty impressed. Haven’t wore it hunting yet but around town and yard. It blocks the wind very well and is warm for the weight. I was shoveling snow in -60 wind chills and it was perfect. The torso could be a little longer but it’s not too short, and the sleeves are good for my monkey arms. I’m 6’3” 180.