mid-weight pants

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m very happy with my lightweight pants, Sitka Ascent and also very happy with my late season pants- Sitka Timberline. I’m looking for a mid-weight pants in between.

I thought the Mountain pant would be a logical choice, but looking at the specs they are only an ounce lighter than the Timberline’s.

Doesn’t have to be Sitka, just a quality, durable mid-weight pant AND with two decent sized cargo pockets.

Thanks

kipper09

WKR
I wear all the Sitka pants you mention. For something in the middle I have become really fond of the Duluth flexpedition. I think it’s somewhere in the middle there. Stretchy and fit what I consider similar to the Sitka pants. I’m a huge fan of the attack pants from Kuiu as far as material and layout but I don’t particularly love the fit. They are a little too tight for my liking in the thighs.

Probably way off from what you are expecting but hope it helps. I caught a sale a while back at a Duluth store and got them for like 25 bucks a pair. For that price it’s a huge bargain in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at kuiu s attacks. I find them to be my favorite pant from 70* down to snow conditions. Super comfy. Fairly durable. I have a pair of their pro pants, which I like a little less well due to a more skinny fit.

FL obsidians are also great but you give up the water resistance. Mine feel like pajamas.

Probably not the answer you’re looking for but why wouldn’t you just wear some fleece (or wool) long johns under your light pants to accomplish the same goal for less $?

*zap*

WKR
The fl pants that have hip vents are in a league by themselves when it comes to mid level temperatures. Zip off bottoms also offer another dimension when dealing with mid range temps.

matthewmt

WKR
I really like the attack pants, cargo pockets aren't the most generous but they do.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks for the suggestions, will check into the Attacks; looks like FL Corrugates might be in that weight I'm looking for as well

Probably not the answer you’re looking for but why wouldn’t you just wear some fleece (or wool) long johns under your light pants to accomplish the same goal for less $?

I will wear light base layers under the Ascents when the temps call for it; I'm looking for a heavier fabric as well just for durability sake- the Timberlines are great in that respect, but too warm other than late season

I would say attacks. I’m really liking the SG DeHavilland too after a year of use mixed with my other pants. The huge hip vents on the SG allow them to be worn during 60s maybe even a shady/windy or low 70 day and then zipped up will be right there with the timberlines but cut wind better. They are not light though.
unless it’s a fit preference or affiliation, Sitka pants just don’t perform with KUIU and others that offer venting. I’ve tried Sitka pants twice now because I thought I missed something the first time with everyone claiming how great they are. Felt like my legs were in a sauna.
I tried FL guide pre vents and they were very comfy but just didn’t perform. Hot and next to no DWR

I would say attacks. I’m really liking the SG DeHavilland too after a year of use mixed with my other pants. The huge hip vents on the SG allow them to be worn during 60s maybe even a shady/windy or low 70 day and then zipped up will be right there with the timberlines but cut wind better.

For the SG's do you have the OG or the Lite?

Kuiu attacks are alright, I personally don't understand the hype and think they're overrated. They get absolutely shredded in a season for me, burns, brush, and rocky areas are their enemy. Pro's are better but they can be a bit hot. One thing I like about the Attack's and Pro's is I can walk up on a bedded mulie and they don't seem to hear me coming.

IMO for a midweight pant the Pro's are superior to the Attack's in every way and have a similar temperature range.

For the SG's do you have the OG or the Lite?

Kuiu attacks are alright, I personally don't understand the hype and think they're overrated. They get absolutely shredded in a season for me, burns, brush, and rocky areas are their enemy. Pro's are better but they can be a bit hot. One thing I like about the Attack's and Pro's is I can walk up on a bedded mulie and they don't seem to hear me coming.

IMO for a midweight pant the Pro's are superior to the Attack's in every way and have a similar temperature range.
Originals purchased in spring 2020 maybe even February it was pre COVID here

Sturgeon

WKR
I think the attacks would fit the bill for your mid season needs. I have some First Lite guides and think they are a bit lighter than the attacks

Last edited:
When I think mid weight I think of the kuiu guide pants. I wear mine for stand sitting from 50-35ish. They have a light layer of insulation similar to the Eddie Bauer’s. I feel the attack pants are light weight and would be best served 80-50 range. This is just 1 opinion though, best wishes to you. Lots of choices out there.

thanks for the suggestions, will check into the Attacks; looks like FL Corrugates might be in that weight I'm looking for as well

I will wear light base layers under the Ascents when the temps call for it; I'm looking for a heavier fabric as well just for durability sake- the Timberlines are great in that respect, but too warm other than late season
I'm a huge fan of the Attacks but I wear them as my heavy pants. I wore those Corrugates for a couple years as my mid weights but trying the Obsidians this season. The Accents and EB Guide pros are my light weights.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do like the idea of a venting zipper in a mid-weight pant as sometimes it can be quite cool mid-season, but can also warm up a fair bit

how is the sizing on the Attacks? Just looking at the picture of them, does the waist sit low? I prefer a slightly higher waist (tend to stay up better)

I do like the idea of a venting zipper in a mid-weight pant as sometimes it can be quite cool mid-season, but can also warm up a fair bit

how is the sizing on the Attacks? Just looking at the picture of them, does the waist sit low? I prefer a slightly higher waist (tend to stay up better)
I have found the sizing on attack pants to be closer to normal than tight like Kuiu is known for. The waist also seems like a normal height. I have the solid colors and wear them all the time . I really like hip vents because of them.

The attacks are a lower waist than sitka pants in my opinion. SG would be a little higher waist.
Attacks sit just right for me and waist matches a soft fabric tape held to the same taughtness you want the pants to fit. Read the tape number and order the closest whole size attack.

I have found the sizing on attack pants to be closer to normal than tight like Kuiu is known for. The waist also seems like a normal height. I have the solid colors and wear them all the time . I really like hip vents because of them.
I agree with this assessment, the Attacks are the only Kuiu pants I've bought that fit like my "normal" (Duluth, Jeans, etc.) pants.

Frazier

FNG
For the money it’s hard to beat wrangler outdoor pants. Layer underneath when it’s cold. Mine have pulls and some fraying but still going strong after 3 seasons