Middle Tennessee

Hello from Middle TN. My name is Kalob (pronounced the same as Caleb), I am an husband and father of two. I am also an avid fly-fisher and hunter. I am aspiring to hunt the western US for Mule deer, pronghorn and eventually Elk.

Any other hunters from middle TN?

OP
TheTinkeringEngineer
I am from the Murfreesboro area. Love the mountains, especially for fly fishing. However, lately the Mountains have been calling my name to hunt Mule deer and elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Be sure to share the lessons learned. Am curious to know what gear type and experience you guys have.

We've all hunted everything that lives in the southeast all our lives and all camped a good bit but no western or elk experience. I'm the only one who has much backpacking experience. We all have hammock camp gear, mid grade packs, good boots, decent clothing, and rifles we're comfortable with. If there's any particular gear you have questions about let me know. We did a lot of research here and other forums for our gear list and we've escouted a lot but i think the biggest thing is we all have reasonable expectations. We're looking at this like a camping trip and hoping we have the opportunity to take a legal elk, mule deer, or even a predator. Hoping this is a good learning experience and the first of many hints.

Poser

WKR
I am from the Murfreesboro area. Love the mountains, especially for fly fishing. However, lately the Mountains have been calling my name to hunt Mule deer and elk.

I lived in M-boro for a few years back in 99-08. I had a dump of a house that costed 60k there on 2nd Ave and walked to work at the college everyday and hunted Percy Priest. I’d cut a toe off for a plate of fried chicken, collard greens, apples and hot water corn bread from Kleer Vu.

OP
TheTinkeringEngineer
@Yellowhammer what kind of packs did you end up with? I have spent a lot of time researching many different packs, and honestly, I would feel better trying one on before dropping the cash on one.

@Yellowhammer what kind of packs did you end up with? I have spent a lot of time researching many different packs, and honestly, I would feel better trying one on before dropping the cash on one.

I got an eberlestock and my buddies got the horn hunter full curl system. I got a good deal from here so figured i wouldn't lose too much if i didn't like it but i have had no issues with it, although i haven't hiked with it really heavy, 40lbs is comfortable with it and I'll probably be a little over 50 when we go in. They seem to like their bags as well. I couldn't really see dropping the cash on a kifaru system when i had to buy so much other stuff and I'm only going to use it every year at best. If we like it and wanna go every year or if this one gives me any issues I may upgrade but i feel good about being able to do what we've planned with what i have.