Midlayers for backpack hunting

idig4au

WKR
What midlayer tops are you guys using for extended day(+10 day) backpack hunting for Alaska/NWT in August type temperatures/conditions?

I'm running 185 Merino Kuiu top as my next to skin. I was thinking of augmenting this with my 250 Merino Kuiu top or maybe having a look at the Sitka Traverse, but a little worried about the funk as its synthetic. I'll go with two of whichever is better for this trip. I do think the Traverse will provide a little more wind protection for temps when my outer layer isn't required.

Thoughts or inputs based on your experience?

Thanks

I don't have any experience with AK, but I do have experience with the traverse top, it doesn't take much for it to start smelling pretty bad! I'd go with anything merino... KUIU or First Lite...

Gman

WKR
No experience with AK, either, but is a mid-layer top necessary? I don't even use one any more. My system is merino t shirt, KUIU 185 top, spindrift insulation, guide jacket, and rain gear if needed. I also have the KUIU vest which I love but on a backpack hunt might get left behind. Anyway, with the system I mentioned I'm covered in Colorado with no ceiling on the high temps and below freezing on the cold.... I found that if I'm moving a mid layer is too much and if sitting not enough so I just started leaving it. When I stop for lunch or to glass the spindrift comes out to block wind and retain body head and I'm good to go. Just another way to go.

Mike7

WKR
I'm completely comforable with the following at that time of year regardless of the weather:
Base layer = Core 4 element or First Light Merino
Next if needed = Kuiu 250
More rarely needed = Down or Primaloft sweater (e.g. Spindrift)
Outer = breathable rain/shell jacket

For me, gaiters, rain shell mittens if I'm sitting and its wet, and a good hat are equally as important to staying comfortable.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd take my Sitka Traverse Hoody. I've not had any stank issues with any of the newer Sitka base layers with the silver stuff in them.

With a Merino base layer you shouldn't have any problem with a Traverse top getting funky for a 10+ day hunt. I just got back from a 14 day horse pack-in mission up in the Yukon and wore a Sitka Merino base layer every day with a synthetic over top. No funk!

swat8888

WKR
I wear a very lightweight t-shirt and then on top of or standalone a lightweight merino long sleeve. That is all I need 80% of the time in AK. I am not taking a heavier mid-weight since I have the early hunt in August, but if I were going later like you I'd probably bring along 250 merino. Then I always have my puffy jacket and a rain shell. I don't run an additional softshell like some do, just extra weight for me that I would rarely use. Used to drag around my Sitka jetstream...heavy, and I rarely wore it. As for the traverse top I will not take it on any more 7+ day hunts. It does stink and it takes too long to dry out once it gets wet, which is too bad because it is super comfortable and a great baselayer....IF you keep it dry, which you won't in AK.

2rocky

WKR
I'll leave the answer to the AK guys but mid layer is always a tough one for me. Trial and error based on current conditions for sure. One advantage to wool is a broad range of temperature suitability. In my Avatar I had a Woolrich 100% wool shirt that was alternated with a microtex shirt over 9 days. Those were my choice mainly because the chest pockets that I like.

I have a sitka mountain shirt (pre traverse) that gets a lot of use too. Usually as an insurance layer in a pack.

tstowater

WKR
If I remember correctly, I wore a KUIU 185 base layer under a Sitka base layer (not merino) and a Sitka insulation layer under a 90% jacket. It was cold enough (started around 0 every morning) that I did not get overheated. Did this for close to a week and seemed to get along fine. I'm going to have KUIU 185 and 250 with me this year and will wear both if needed. I would rather wear the vest than the Spindrift, but will have both. I'm sure that the terrain and weather will dictate what I wear.

tstowater

WKR
Tstowater, what temps were you in?

Started about 0 or lower every day and warmed to probably the 30's. Was a full moon in early November at about 5000-7000 feet. Enough wind to notice. Snowed a couple days. Unit 231 in eastern Nevada. Great elk hunting.