Midway Movie!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
was totally awesome! I'd read reviews that the hoity toity said Midway was too hard to follow. OK, fine, there is a bunch going in in the movie, but when Dick Best puts that Douglas SBD Dauntless into a dive and opens up that 50 cal Browning, you won't mind the story a bit!

I'm going to see it again, on the big screen. Haven't done that since the '70s when Star Wars came out, ahahhahah

go see it, it's a great tribute to our men of the Pacific war theater too. 132872

sneaky

"DADDY"
My great uncle missed out on Midway because he was wounded at Coral Sea about a month prior. I'll have to check this one out as I've seen the original about 1k times. He lost half his stomach and spent the rest of his life eating poached eggs and lightly browned toast. That kind of sacrifice makes me want to punch some of these entitled brats today right in the throat. He never complained one time. Just lived his life as a veterinarian, and had more animals than most zoos. Used to love going to his house as a kid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
We were just talking about going to this movie. My grandfather joined the Navy right after Pearl Harbor and was all over in the Pacific as most of them were. We traveled to Hawaii to visit the memorial after his death, and when yuh standing above the scene, thinking of the kids that never came up, one of the most powerful humbling moments in my life. I can’t imagine the guys who err there, the emotions, fears, strength it took to live through that and then rotate back to civilization and try to fit in. Some seriously tough guys who came home and didn’t make a big deal of their sacrifices.

Billinsd

WKR
It was a really good movie. Some of the flying scenes were arcade like and ridiculous if you know anything about airplanes and flying and physics, however it seems like anything with computer graphics is like that....

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My great uncle missed out on Midway because he was wounded at Coral Sea about a month prior. I'll have to check this one out as I've seen the original about 1k times. He lost half his stomach and spent the rest of his life eating poached eggs and lightly browned toast. That kind of sacrifice makes me want to punch some of these entitled brats today right in the throat. He never complained one time. Just lived his life as a veterinarian, and had more animals than most zoos. Used to love going to his house as a kid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, thanks to men like your uncle. They had a scene of one of the battles at coral sea in this movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
Bad reviews but I still kind of want to see it. I can tell by the trailers that it has way too much unnatural looking CGI for my tastes but that's most films nowadays. Great casting!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bad reviews but I still kind of want to see it. I can tell by the trailers that it has way too much unnatural looking CGI for my tastes but that's most films nowadays. Great casting!

Yeah you notice the CGI a little bit, but it’s such a dang good movie and to think that those men had to go through that. I can’t imagine putting my plane in a nose dive through antiaircraft fire to fly right through it to try to get a bomb on their flight deck.

kiddogy

WKR
good to hear. I sort of figured Hollywood would have the japs winning in this flick.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
good to hear. I sort of figured Hollywood would have the japs winning in this flick.

Oh they definitely try to humanize them in the movie and show that some of them were pretty conflicted with all this. The truth be known, their people too and I would imagine some of them were just going along with the emperor‘s wishes. But they don’t let them win in this movie.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a huge WWII buff, and try to teach my kids about the sacrifices our veterans have made for our country. For those that have seen the movie, would it be appropriate to bring my 8 year old son? I’m guessing it may be too intense. I’m not necessarily concerned about bad language that he’s probably already heard already. Thoughts?

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely on my list to go see shortly. Been into WWII since I was a kid.
My 92 year old grandpa enlisted as soon as he was able, and was sent to the Philippines. The things he saw and lived through are unbelievable.

So grateful for every one of the men and women willing to put their life on the line for their country.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've always been a fan of the original, not sure I can handle Hollywood's newer take on it. I can't stand all their action movies that you can't even watch because of all the movement and computer generated crap. I'll wait until it's on my TV and then decide if I'll watch it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m a huge WWII buff, and try to teach my kids about the sacrifices our veterans have made for our country. For those that have seen the movie, would it be appropriate to bring my 8 year old son? I’m guessing it may be too intense. I’m not necessarily concerned about bad language that he’s probably already heard already. Thoughts?

If not worried about language, prolly ok. Show some burned bodies, super intense dogfights...

my grandfather was on a minesweaper that I believe was associated with the Enterprise group. I know he came into Pearl harbor shortly after the attack so he saw the aftermath and he was at Midway I used to watch the old midway movie with him every time it came on. some of my fondest memories are going out to breakfast every saturday morning before I would go to the shooting range with him where he was a range master. we met the same group of veterans every Saturday morning and I listened to the same stories from them a thousand times. i loved them so much. i wish i could go see this movie with my grandpa.
favorite quote from the original is when Nimitz says. " That might be the smart play, trouble is I WANT THAT FOURTH CARRIER"... just always loved that.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah you notice the CGI a little bit, but it’s such a dang good movie and to think that those men had to go through that. I can’t imagine putting my plane in a nose dive through antiaircraft fire to fly right through it to try to get a bomb on their flight deck.
Saw it on your recommendation....

You are spot on....... they did a fantastic job of capturing those planes going on and off the carriers....diving a plane into that flak- WOW (which is just crazy, I can't even imagine!)

The camera work is what makes the movie. They did a good job of profiling the screw ups too....you have to give Admiral Nimitz kudos for his decision making.

I would recommend sitting a little closer to the screen than you normally would......and get where you can max out the surround sound.

I walked away from that with HUGE respect for the sailors and pilots of WWII....

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Saw it on your recommendation....

You are spot on....... they did a fantastic job of capturing those planes going on and off the carriers....diving a plane into that flak- WOW (which is just crazy, I can't even imagine!)

The camera work is what makes the movie. They did a good job of profiling the screw ups too....you have to give Admiral Nimitz kudos for his decision making.

I would recommend sitting a little closer to the screen than you normally would......and get where you can max out the surround sound.

I walked away from that with HUGE respect for the sailors and pilots of WWII....

Good to hear man! And yes, I’m going to move up a little closer in the theater next time