Midway Movie!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever read about the rape of Nanjing,aka Nanking? It's just one of the reasons the Chinese hate the Japanese. They killed by most accounts up to 300k civilians. I'll give them this, when they say all's fair in love and war the Japanese took that to heart.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have not read that but I do know about the history of what the Japanese did to the Chinese. And they mention that in the movie that after the Doolittle raid that the Japanese killed a quarter million of the Chinese for helping Doolittle. Makes ISIS sound like kindergartners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Nah, I’m only 60 years old. Raise your hand if you really think Dick Best bounced his plane off of the fore deck of Hiryu?
OK, I see where you are coming from...and of course you bring up some points on accuracy.

Its a Hollywood movie... not a documentary ...and I'm Ok with that- grin

Do you really want to see a war movie that accurately depicts the reports that approx. one out of ten soldiers actually did the fighting?

Grumman

WKR
I watched it last night with my 11 year old son. We both needed a drink refill by 15 minutes in but we never got up to go get it due to not wanting to miss anything. Great movie!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I watched it last night with my 11 year old son. We both needed a drink refill by 15 minutes in but we never got up to go get it due to not wanting to miss anything. Great movie!

me too. Drink a big Diet Coke right when we got there and regretted it the whole time

So you didn’t feel it was inappropriate for your 11-year-old son? I’m taking my 13-year-old here pretty soon

Grumman

WKR
me too. Drink a big Diet Coke right when we got there and regretted it the whole time

So you didn’t feel it was inappropriate for your 11-year-old son? I’m taking my 13-year-old here pretty soon

No not at all and we are a pretty conservative family. He declared it the best war movie he has ever seen and can’t stop talking about how brave the dive bomber pilots were. While watching it I had the thought that this should be required viewing for all high schoolers to really appreciate what the generations before us went through. Many thanks to all of those who have served this great country!

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
Even after the nukes the Japanese military wanted to fight on, even tried to depose the Emperor. What really made them surrender was the fear of the USSR entering the war against them. The greatly desired to surrender to the US, not the USSR. We rebuilt them and turned them into a powerhouse economy, you know what the Soviets would have done!

kiddogy

WKR
Even after the nukes the Japanese military wanted to fight on, even tried to depose the Emperor. What really made them surrender was the fear of the USSR entering the war against them. The greatly desired to surrender to the US, not the USSR. We rebuilt them and turned them into a powerhouse economy, you know what the Soviets would have done!
yup. nothing is better for a nation then losing a war to the US

Jimbob

WKR
My 12 yr boy and I went last night. I gotta say it messed with me, I just cannot comprehend how different life was for those men.

The idea of jumping into a plane for an attack and KNOWING you do not have enough fuel to return, that is a level of character that cannot be seen today.

Great movie.

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
The idea of jumping into a plane for an attack and KNOWING you do not have enough fuel to return, that is a level of character that cannot be seen today.

I think you sell our modern warriors short. I recall that on 9/11 one of the women flying a fighter to intercept an aircraft and perhaps bring it down took off unarmed- there was no time to arm it before it scrambled. She knew what that meant; the only way to "shoot down" the plane was to ram it in midair. Luckily she didn't have to do it but that was the plan if it came to that.

And have you heard of Taylor Morris? He was an Navy EOD/bomb disposal guy. Got blown up and watched both arms and legs fly away in different directions. After losing both arms and both legs the last thing he was able to managed to do was to try to yell to his buddies not to try to come help him as he thought there were more IEDs. Then he also had the guts and the will to live and carry on as one of a handful of quadruple amputees to survive the war.

Every day we have young folks out there putting everything on the line for us. Respectfully, the Greatest Generation has nothing on them.

Billinsd

WKR
Nah, I’m only 60 years old. Raise your hand if you really think Dick Best bounced his plane off of the fore deck of Hiryu?
How about when he almost crashed in the ocean after taking off, BECAUSE THE SHIP WAS MOVING TOO SLOW!!!! Very dramatic scene, but OMG, so ridiculous. I did really enjoy the movie, though!!!

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Never meet one uncle, death march on Bataan. Most people in this country have no idea of how cruel/unforgiving the world can be and we have become very soft as a country.
And China and Russia are not soft at all. They are strong and tough as hell as countries. There are still many brave men in US, overall in the country not so much.

Billinsd

WKR
yup. nothing is better for a nation then losing a war to the US
Look at what happens to counties that don't lose, like Vietnam. The US didn't lose in Vietnam. We won all the major battles, however, the media and left where against the US and the communist Vietnamese were willing to fight to the last man. The South were very corrupt old French Colony. Very sad, complicated deal. If I've heard the put the friendlies all on a boat and then......story once I've heard it a thousand times from officers who were there.

Billinsd

WKR
You need to read Shattered Sword...We would have won, it just would have taken longer. The idea that Pearl Harbor decimated our fleet is also somewhat false. We lost some old out of date battleships and some smaller ships. The meat of the modern naval force was alive and well in our aircraft carriers. 6 battlewagons, 3 cruisers, 3 destroyers, and 4 auxillary ships were damaged, 2 battleships were destroyed. The truth is our naval forces were not very large or modern at the start of WWII.
Two different opinions. I got a third. You don't hear it much, however, Roosevelt was probably the most incompetent, political, conniving, wartime President in US history to date. His political maneuvering and shear incompetence started us off so handicapped it was criminal. So many brave men died needlessly, because of him. My Grandad swore up and down that Roosevelt allowed the Japanese to bomb Pearl Harbor, so the US would want to join the war and help his Soviet brothers. I never bought into that. To me many world leaders at the time where pacifists. Terrible too how the Navy Admiral and Army General at Pear Harbor got scapegoated. They still have not been exonerated, however there are people working tirelessly to make this happen.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think you sell our modern warriors short. I recall that on 9/11 one of the women flying a fighter to intercept an aircraft and perhaps bring it down took off unarmed- there was no time to arm it before it scrambled. She knew what that meant; the only way to "shoot down" the plane was to ram it in midair. Luckily she didn't have to do it but that was the plan if it came to that.

And have you heard of Taylor Morris? He was an Navy EOD/bomb disposal guy. Got blown up and watched both arms and legs fly away in different directions. After losing both arms and both legs the last thing he was able to managed to do was to try to yell to his buddies not to try to come help him as he thought there were more IEDs. Then he also had the guts and the will to live and carry on as one of a handful of quadruple amputees to survive the war.

Every day we have young folks out there putting everything on the line for us. Respectfully, the Greatest Generation has nothing on them.
Respectfully, from someone with multiple combat deployments to the middle east, the Greatest Generation is still the standard and the modern warfighter isn't at that level. Especially when it comes to humility and selfless service. Today's generation talks incessantly about their service to get attention, and is more concerned with free meals and discounts. The Greatest Generation did their job, came home, didn't brag about it, and lived their lives. Most of their friends and family had no idea what they did in the war. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

sneaky

"DADDY"
How about when he almost crashed in the ocean after taking off, BECAUSE THE SHIP WAS MOVING TOO SLOW!!!! Very dramatic scene, but OMG, so ridiculous. I did really enjoy the movie, though!!!
Without having seen the new version, what is so ridiculous about the ship moving too slow? That would have been a legitimate concern in those days to achieve enough lift coming off the flight deck.

gfreidy

WKR
Looking forward to seeing the movie during Thanksgiving. Father was A US Marine stationed at Midway Atoll. My destroyer refueled there when I was a young officer.

The attached analysis on youtube is worth a watch:

Took the wife last week, came away feeling slightly let down. Seemed a little rushed and incomplete to me , crazy for a 2 1/2 movie. It was not bad, had some great scenes, but after seeing the older versions... I just had higher expectations.

Jimbob

WKR

My comment was not meant to diminish the sacrifices made by men and women today, I just think things were different back then. The culture was different, tactics were different, the mindset was different and character was different.

We simply do not do the same things today as we did back then. I think it took a different breed (character) of man to perform in wars of the past than it does nowadays.

Maybe character is not the right word but I stand by my idea that things were different and as such men were different.

And to be clear this does not diminish what those in service do today. Their sacrifice is immense and worthy of full honour and gratitude.