Midwest hunting bino help

Kgartside

FNG
Hey guys I’m looking for some advice on binos. I hunt whitetails in Michigan, and mostly hunt in the timber. I currently have a set of vortex diamondback 10x50 that use for hunting and for glassing fields from my truck. My plan is to get a set of Maven B1 8x42 for hunting and at some point set of B5 15x56 for my tuck (it’s real hard for me to tell how big a buck is at 400 yards with the 10s, and when I get a new set for the truck the wife can use the 10s). So 2 questions

1) should I stick with getting the 8x42 Mavens or should I save a little more and try and pick up a used set of swaro SCLs for 1,200 to 1,500 range. For the price difference is there really a big difference and will I notice it for whitetail hunting.

2) would the 15x56 be good for the truck or would you go with a 18x, or something completely different?

Thanks for the help, sorry for the long post

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I’d go B1 or B3’s. I have the B3s in 8x30 and will probably end up using them more than my B2 9x45, but we’ll see. It’ll be my first full season using both. Depending on how much walking you’re doing you may appreciate the weight savings of the B3s. And you don’t need a big objective for timber. Save you decent coin as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've made due whitetail hunting with an old set of nikon monarch 5s? Never left me wanting more a buddy picked up some mavens and I'm really wanting to upgrade now

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I'd say stick with a decent set of 8x or 10x binos and get a spotting scope for the truck instead of 15x binos.

Last edited:

ncossey

FNG
If you want very nice glass in a 10x, check out the Athlon Chronus G2. A lot of folks won’t give them the time of day, but I also own Swaro ELs and those Athlons are pretty dang close as far as clarity, they are just heavy. Get a spotting scope for the long range stuff, the 15x from a truck isn’t going to give you that much more.

WRM

WKR
Meopta 8 x 32 or x 42 depending on what you want to carry. All I use for hutting turkeys and deer in the east and I have never felt I needed anything more. I have the 15 x 56s also. Great glass.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
1. Buy the swaro - if you don't do it now you'll always chase a pair and end up buying twice.

2. Get a spotter with a window mount. Ever plan on coming out west?

OP
K

Kgartside

FNG
At some point I will go west but it’s not a big priority right now.

Rob5589

WKR
Well, if you're willing and able to save up for a set of Swaro's, it's a no-brainer. You'll have a lifetime optic, regardless of what and where you hunt.