Midwest Pike County Illinois Whitetail hunting?

April 1st I will be headed to Chicago for a temporary work assignment that could last up to 8 months! I have always wanted to hunt Pike county for Archery whitetails and this may be my opportunity. Have any of my fellow Roksliders hunted Illinois? Im hoping to make contacts and do some scouting while Im there with time permitting... Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hardway

FNG
Bearhunter the hunting over there is usually pretty pricey.... that being said i might have a lead for you send me a PM and i might be able to help you out.

reid

FNG
Bearhunter sorry to hear you have to stay in Chicago for that long I do whatever I can to leave.that being said pike County is great if you want to go see all the fancy logo trucks from all the outfitters and tv shows.their is some of the biggest whitetails in the state just outside of the city limits take a walk in some of the forest preserves looking for sheds this spring and try to find small Parcells that border up that are privately owned for permission. If your set on west central ill try looking into cedar glen state property. In Hancock county just 60 miles north of pike.hunted it last fall and saw some good deer and low pressure.

OP
Bearhunter
Thanks for the info guys, Hardway Ill send you a PM. Reid, it should be a fun experience and it is only temporary! I not set on West central, you always here about Pike country thats all. Im really open to any options in Illinois, I fiqured if Im gonna be there I might as well ad it to the have dones List. Ive killed a few Whitetails over the years, but it sure would be nice to find a good P&Y book buck! You in the Chicago area? Ill be brining my bow and plan on hitting as many 3d tourneys as my time off from work will allow...

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Make the drive up to Wisconsin, we have way more to offer than IL. Cheese, beer, and bigger bucks! :) Pike Co IL and Buffalo CO WI both known for trophys, but there is great hunting around either that isn't all leased up and over-hyped. I haven't hunted IL but if you end up wanting to look at WI let me know.

OP
Bearhunter
Will do Goober, Thanks for the offer. Once I get to Illinois Ill let ya know, its gonna be an interesting year to say the least in planning different hunts especially if i decide to try the Midwest this year!

reid

FNG
Bearhunter do you know where you will be staying? I live about 30 miles south of Chicago on the by the Indiana State line. I know the south and West suburbs pretty well and might be able to help you get started. Suburban hunting is hard to get used to especially for someone from out west. I hunt a 5 acre 20acre piece that at times are world class but at other times don't have a deer on them. You have to think outside the box. I have a lease in West Central that I hunt when I can get away and for gun season but always seem to shot a bigger deer close to home. I would post some trail pics of deer from the suburbs but I don't know how yet. Any help on posting pics would be great. Any more questions?

Bearhunter - you'll still be a non resident right? How's your budget time and money wise?

I would tend to suggest going with goober.

I hunt both IL and WI and will be glad to share my reasoning and any info I can. Send me a PM.

OP
Bearhunter
Ya Non-resident I was be in a bad spot if I ever had to call this place home LOL, even thou Im having fun there are no mountains here LOL... PM's sent...

Best of luck, I grew up hunting in WI, even in Buffalo county a few times... I have also hunted Pike county twice and those two hunts were some of the best I have ever been on... for a whitetail that is :)

Enjoy!

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be happy to help out. I don't guide or lease, just enjoy sharing with others. Last year a complete stranger invited me into his elk camp. Then he left to go to work for 4 days, and just left me there and said make yourself at home! I was pretty free before that, but now I try to follow that lead. It was a big deal to me, it was my first time elk hunting, solo, for 4 weeks. By the 4th week when I met this guy, I was mentally and physically beat. Really restored my faith! So come on to Wisco, we'll find some bucks!View attachment 8625 (this is the smaller of the 2 I got in 2011) :)

Goober - Where in SW WI are you? That driftless area is some cool country. Shorter drive for Bearhunter by almost half as a bonus. If you or Bearhunter want some insight into a few areas up North, let me know. I'm glad to share what I can too.

Did you get your elk?

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, no elk. I learned a ton though, and had a blast. Passed an opportunity early on that I maybe shouldn't have, but no regrets.

My parents farm is halfway between Richland Center and Madison. My father-in-laws farm is smack dab in central WI between Marshfield and Stevens Point. I am working on moving to Eau Claire. So I have most of the state covered. I plan on starting to hunt some of the northwoods next fall.

If you are ever going to hunt any of those areas, shoot me an email. [email protected] I'm always open to sharing a beer and a campfire!

Goober- I hope that my schedule eases in the next year so that I can take you up on that. Let me know when you get to Eau Claire, I've got a spot you should check out.

jljmonky

FNG
So what did you decide? Where are you hunting? Plenty of trophies get taken in the otherr 101 counties of Illinois and there is a decent amount of public land scattered. Like everywhere else you have to walk farther than other hunters are willing to walk to get to the best spots. You can also take out adds on CraigsList and such to try and get permissions on private land.

I grew up hunting in Hamilton County on private land, lost it about 10 years ago due to sales and such. I hunted a few years in Johnson County near Shawnee and lost that due to a divorce/sale/lease. I am down to my own 12 3/4 acres in Champaign County now, had a huge construction project on it last year and traffic has yet to improve but there are some deer on it. With 8 months of "living" here you could apply for an IL License and such and get resident status, I believe 6 months gets you enough time for resident status.

Oh, and chicago bites, get out of there any time you can, there is a giant state here with a ton to offer outside of that cess pool.