Migration

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
What triggers the migration in south central idaho, reason I ask is when I talked to biologist back couple months ago he said the deer were already moving by the time rifle season starts has me second guessing my decision to be there the last week . My plan was to get up high and glass but should I start at lower elevations any input is greatly appreciated,Billy

kiddogy

WKR
snow, cold, the rut, hunting pressure??????? take your pick

I would pick a ridge above the major drainages that are in their migration path and glass.
there are still lots of deer up high but they will be heading for the winter ranges very soon. and the bucks are soon gonna be heading for the does. supposed to be some storms coming through end of the week. if they haven't started moving yet this round will probly get em going. good chance that while weather may be miserable , this is likely to be the sweet week where you'll catch them on the move.and then the rut will follow soon after.

IMO these next few weeks is THE prime time to be out hunting.

NW Wyoming, they seem to be moving quite a bit right now. I've gotten onto them by ramming through the forest and covering lots of ground. Last week saw a tone of does in groups of about 5 or so, but no bucks. This week I've seen a lot of groups made up of 5 or so does, and maybe 2 bucks. Finding a lot more bucks this week.

But, I'm a dummy and was on some elk so passed up on two beautiful muley bucks yesterday. I should have shot one...broad side 109yards, clear shot from uphill. Doesn't get any better than that, but I had bull fever and lost my mind.

Some will move. Some will stay high. You can decide which you think is the larger group and what’s in it.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input should be on the mountain by the 26th . Hopefully I’ll be able to get chance at a respectable buck if not still will be a great adventure Thanks again,Billy

zankuleg

FNG
if you call one of the local dnr guys up there, they will give you a good explanation of what happens, where and usually when.

For the most part deer up there will migrate to lowland swamps when the snow starts piling up. Of course there is a resident population in these swamps.

Biggest migration effects will be noticed with Huron Mtn deer moving to southern marquette swamps. Most other deer that have swamps near by will just move out of the hardwood ridges and into the lowland.
'

I have heard reports of migration trails being 100yards wide with hundreds of deer running through these swamps...all depends on the snow though

Rico : The deer from your area migrate in two directions. Some of them go east and others go south accross M 48. Where they actually winter may vary as there are quite extensive yarding areas in each direction. Migration routes are learned by the fawns from their mothers and perhaps other related deer. In the past any deer that didn't migrate from you area were invaribly orphaned fawns that had no mother to learn migration from. In more recent years some deer have stayed on their summer range because late season baiting has held the deer until they have become trapped by deep snow. The result of not migrating to their winter yards is always the same. Without the shelter and extensive network of deer trails provided by the deeryards they eventually all succumb to predators.