Migratory vs. Non-migratory elk

Are there any maps or descriptions that distinguish the different ranges of migratory vs migratory elk? From what I've seen populations from wetter and warmer areas like the northwest coast with roosevelt elk generally consist of nonmigratory (resident) elk where as colder drier areas like the rockies of Colorado and Wyoming are home to more migratory populations. Was just wondering if anyone knew where more detailed data on exactly where the boundary between these two elk distribution patterns can be found. Thanks

Mcribs

FNG
Colorado CPW has a map that show migratory routes and also a separate layer that show areas with resident herds. Can’t speak about other states, but here in CO, we have both in similar areas.

The unit I've hunted for decades is non migratory based on talk with CPW officers over the years. One of the reasons (if not the main) that unit had severe winter kill last year. Went from 325 total cow tags for all rifle seasons combined a year ago to 10 tags per season this year.

Last edited:

Jaquomo

WKR
Where I live in CO the herds are about evenly split between migratory and non-migratory. The big herds that roam around all year between 5K and 7K don't mind if it's 95 degrees in July and the nearest tree is two miles away. The migratory elk travel 30 or more miles, some from 12,500 all the way down to 5-6K winter range, then back again, following the snow line up.

As Mcribs suggested, the CPW interactive maps show all sorts of good data, and at least in my area it can be surprisingly accurate.