Mil is SUPERIOR

Tmac

WKR
I was a little confused to begin with, but once you figure it out you will get rid of every MOA scope you have! There are a lot of different resources to get different explanations from!
Will you explain to my wife why I need to convert 7-10k+ in scopes from moa to mils? Joking around, but I will stay moa.

I don’t compete and stalk closer if windy or pass. This whole idea of seeing my shots and making corrections for hunting, is not something I’ll do. My preference is to range for distance and have a turret or taped turret to dial the yardage if needed. I know my holds to 400 just off my crosshairs and won’t shoot far if windy. Quick, fast, simple and no math. I rarely dial when hunting.

I’m not saying you can’t make it work, the inches argument. I’m saying, if you have a ruler in your reticle why not use it. On top of that if your shooting a distance where wind matters you should want a ruler in there. The well it’s too complicated argument is complete bull. Train with your scope and it becomes second nature. It has for me. It’s a fricken ruler. Can you measure the same 3” on a ruler as guessing 3 inches by looking when your measure it something right in front of you? Which is more accurate? Same can be said for holding for shot drops, how do you do that?

Most guys can’t tell the difference between 5 and 7 inches looking down two feet, and your going to tell me you can accurately measure variable size target 600 yards away looking through a magnified tube? It’s a guess, where we don’t need to guess. Want to see how much your off? Shoot paper at 400 yards a foot right and a foot up from your target with no aim point, does group look like the same one when using the center of your reticle?

If your serious about shooting as you seem to be on the internet it would be atleast worth it to test.
we sort of say similar thing, I say the ruler is everywhere in that image, not just on the crosshair, it's on the animal(parts of animal, rib, eyeballs, antlers, etc., the bushes, trees, we know our environments, we know our kill zone sizes, we visualize lungs/heart, if you can't visualize then don't do it...if you can and are familiar with measures and the natural world you live in and the game you chase...it's pretty doable, most of us seem able to visualize the size of a heart behind the hide, or the lungs, yet we can't visualize or reference against that on the hide above it? we choose some aim point on the animal that we feel is best centred in the 'kill zone' so we are visualizing anyways....why add more steps when you don't have to?

I always love it when guys say 'shoot a group' like that...it'll be in the kill zone every shot...how bout that. ;) Yup you may shoot a smaller group holding a crosshair directly on a bullseye but does the game actually have a bullseye? your still choosing to hold whatever inside a visualized kill zone on an animal, you're mixing things up that aren't relevant to hunting when it comes time to close the deal. Shoot your group on a rib cage with your mil holds and I'll do same with my inches hold...bet we're close lol. Although the damn critter will already be dead from the first shot which I'll have got off before you...your elk may have left the country by the time you're done horsing around with your target gear lol...kidding but you get the point.

and elevation and windage are in two completely different categories, 10 mph wind is 28-30% of the drop, so the typical modern cartridges .8 second tof's that hunters stay under is 6' to 6.5' dial up but 10 mph wind is only 22"...less than 2'.

you're gonna have fun with this but I have another decal I keep on scope tube in front of my turret that shows my 1', 2', 3', 4' and 5' yardages as I like to keep those mental notes when hunting should a weird situation arise where it could be useful but also to practice with and also I think it's important to have a good mental picture of your bullets entire flight path period, that sort of data keeps you perspectived an prepared...my slow ass 16" Grendel zero'd at 200 with the 123 eld-m's...300 is 1' hold, 375 is 2', 425 is 3', 475 is 4' and 500 is 5', which is as far as my speed dial turret dials (Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 only 12 moa per rotation but absolutely perfect for .8 sec tof hunting rigs zero'd at 200 imo). redundant data but I like it there anyway and it could come in handy (ie; coyotes, no time to dial type thing but you may score if you range ahead, or you ranged ahead before you started calling, I hate not being as prepared as possible for those flea bitten mongrels, we have time for more precision on big game so I can spin the cap off and dial up)

I have tested moa wind hold reticles, I have tested elevation hold reticles. I've made both work. I am serious about hunting inside about .8 sec tof capabilities as that makes sense for live animal max distance...I'm not serious about anything else though. So I've migrated back to dial up for elevation and target reference inch holds for wind as the simplest fastest system to land in the boiler room.

I'm sure I could figure out mils pretty quick and make it work but completely unnecessary for my needs and won't be as quick for me as another system. I'd choose moa before mils for .8 sec tof distances. Going beyond that and prs I can see the 10 factor of mils adding value, you gotta get a ridiculously long ways out there before that system adds value imo.