Mil-Surp gear: notes for those interested

22lr

WKR
I wanted to start a thread covering some ins and outs of mil-surp gear for those who have ever been tempted by the price point. What is it, what is it not. Note, if buying used individual condition can vary widely. My experience is largely with BDU, ABU and OCP stuff. If there are some Army, Navy and Marine guys who want to comment on their specific stuff that would help. This thread is just supposed to help people make an informed decision on if they even want to try using mil-surp on a hunt. The appeal is budget, this stuff can be found super cheap, especially in older camo patterns. But another disclaimer for individual care of an item is important and will affect usability of the item.

ECWCS Gen III:

The hardshell gortex ABU parka: Overall a pretty good jacket for what it is. Keep in mind its not a purpose built hunting jacket, and its focused on durability for mass military issue vs a piece of technical gear. The sleeves are velcro adjustable, with zipper vents for the arm pits. Some zippers work better than others, I almost always have a hard time closing mine without removing the parka. The elbows are reinforced with a piece of uniform fabric, and each arm has a velcro closing pocket. The chest has 2 zipper pockets and the bottom of the coat has 2 large velcro pockets as well. The hood is tucked into place with velcro and is not insulated. Be warned, its a mass issue jacket and not many people treat their gear correctly. Following the laundry instructions matter or the jacket will start to soak through pretty quickly. Before taking into the field test the shell in multiple places by pooling some water and seeing if it will absorb. If your getting water to absorb then you will need to retreat the shell with a waterproofing spray or other simalier treatment. Properly treated this is a dynamite jacket for staying dry. Final note, this is designed as a uninsulated cold weather outer layer as much as it is a rain jacket. Not a quiet/stealthy jacket, but will hold up to extremely tough field use/busting through brush better than a lot of hunting rain jackets on the market. Mine weighs 20oz flat.

The gortex ABU pants: same as the jacket, the pants are more focused on durability for the masses. Velcro adjustable ankles with zippers up to just below the knee for easy on and off over boots. Cargo pockets on each leg, and pass through hip pockets, with a velcro closure tab that allows access to your pockets underneath. The waist usually has a bungee cord adjustment, but you will find a few different options out there. Same warning as with the jacket, test the waterproofing before using in the field. Not quiet but will hold up well to busting through tough brush. Mine weigh 14oz.

The fleece jacket:

Nothing special, just a solid fleece jacket. Zipper closures on the 2 waist pockets and elastic wrists. 100% polyester, very quiet but again, it's a mass issue jacket. Worn under the hardshell outer layer your gonna be comfy in the higher 30s to 40s range. You will want another base layer for much below that.

The puffy parka:

My favorite bang for the buck military gear is by far the ABU puffy parka. Actually a decently packable heavy puffy (I pack mine into a 12L compression bag and it compresses down very nicely) and super warm. Filled with synthetic down, and the shell can be waterproofed easily with a spray on system, but its not meant to be a true rain jacket like the outer shell. That said, after a good treatment my parka is just as water proof as my shell and will not absorb water that's pooled on the surface for 12+hrs. Has an insulated hood. Will be solid ABU green in color and 2 zippered pockets. Worn over a fleece or waffletop, and under the outer shell its gonna keep you warm into the deeper freezing temps freezing but your not gonna want to do a ton of hiking in it. As far as best bang for the buck, this is it. Its not super loud but its also not designed for busting through brush as it is designed to be worn under the hard shell in those scenarios (like all puffys). But, perfectly suitable as a stand alone puffy that is more durable than most commercial puffys on the market. Mine weighs

Puffy pants: I don't own a pair but they do exist. I understand they have zippers up to the knee for donning over your boots and they have through pockets for the waist.

Will add some more on the regular uniform items as I have time to write it up. There are some good hits, and some real misses with military gear in the woods. Im not proclaiming myself to be an expert end all be all opinion, I welcome other peoples feedback to help make this a more robust thread as well.

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Cautions for mil surplus gear:

Not all gear sold as mil surplus is actually mil spec. And not all gear sold as mil spec is mil spec. Tons of knock off gear out there targeting the budget tactical/mall ninja market. The real stuff you find should have a Defense Logistics Agency label on it, and the standard green label with the NSN and laundry care instructions. Also, different countries have different specs and designs, but it should be assumed everyone has the same issues with not following laundry instructions, so test it and apply waterproofing as required. There is nothing magical about mil-surp gear. Its designed for mass issue to people who usually need durability more than stealth and packability. But, its usually available on the used/surplus market for dirt cheap. If you paying more than $30 for pants, or $60 for the gortex jacket, your not shopping hard enough. The puffys should be $60-70 for the coat and $30-40 for the pants. *caveat, OCP stuff is easily worth double all other patterns on the surplus market, but its probably not worth it for hunting purposes.

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Boots:

There used to be 3 main options, a jump boot, a jungle boot and a garrison boot. There are seemingly hundreds of options now. So no sense going through them all. Every major shoe/boot manufacturer will make a uniform boot. They usually seem to focus on breathability vs waterproofing and the waterproof ones seem to all be insulated. They are tactical boots, not really focusing on ankle support. Buy with caution and do your research for the exact manufacturer and model. Not all boots currently sold as uniform compliant are Berry Admendment complaint. The nice tennis shoe comfort level boots are usually advertised as "garrison" or "training" and can be legit tennis shoe level comfy. They also usually last as long as a tennis shoe. The more durable ones are usually advertised as a field boot and can last for several years of daily wear. Comfort level varies widely like all boots. Zipper boots can be nice for easy on/off, but as a note, I've never had a pair of zippers last half as long as my non zip ups and the zippers themself are almost never repairable. Most tactical boots are decent work boots, they can work good for some hunting applications but as with all boots, thats a call your gonna have to make.

Socks:

Same as boots. So many options. But I wouldn't wear the issued DLA socks if you gave them too me. Look at what makes a good sock that you like (wool or not, heavy or light), and you can find something out there thats uniform compliant and probably Berry Admendment as well. Some of the tactical socks seem slightly cheaper than simalier featured hiking/hunting socks.

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Uniforms:

ABUs:
USAF standard issue, 2 key varieties that I
have ran into. The 50/50 nylon and cotton with the visible ripstop and a slightly heavier weight version of the same 50/50 composition but no visible ripstop threads.

Features button closures on all pockets, no velcro and reinforced everything (knees, elbows, seat). Key note, its virtually impossible to have an article of ABU anything match shade with any other article of ABU anything (unless both items were purchased at the same time, and washed the same number of times). If that bugs you, skip this pattern forever. That said, the ABU pants are dynamite! Button closures in all pockets, reinforced seat and knees, cargo pockets, and a smaller pocket down on the ankle. The blouse has 4 button pockets and pen holders on the sleeve, and reinforced elbows. There is also a 100% cotton variant for specialty career fields, but I have no experience with them. You can find these in the $5-10 range at thrift stores, a little more at your local mil-surp store. These are amazing pants for hunting. Super durable and full of features you will use. There is no reason to ever wear the blouse/top unless you just want the camo. It is super heavy if all you want is a light, noninsulated longsleeve jacket. It is durable, so I guess there is that... the stuff that doesn't have the visible rip stop is a heavier construction but also fades to near white in about 2.3 seconds so most of it you find out there is pretty faded out.

OCP:

Major differences from previous ABU and BDU systems are the inclusion of velcro and zippers for the pockets. For hunting purposes id stear people towards the ABU and BDU stuff for the all button closures. OCPs seem to have been designed as more garrison friendly uniforms with zippers and velcro. The pants still have button closure cargo pockets and fly, but velcro on the back pockets. If you find sets available there is a standard garrison set and a fire resistant (FR) set. The FR stuff is identified by little square OD green patches on the sleeves and cargo pant pockets. The FR material is much quiter and way more comfortable to wear, but seems significantly less durable and fades way quicker. The spec-ops folks run the Crye Precision uniforms, I have no experience to talk of with them are they are virtually unseen on the surplus market.

Anobody

WKR
Keep eyes out for the old black polartec fleece lineups. Both pullovers and bibs. Also the everyone’s favorite poly pro. If your lucky enough to find old wool sweaters and Austrian military uniform items.. if u can navigate the euro sizes are ya good gear for its age

I have the FM for the ECWCS and it is a pretty solid source of info as far as layering and use of the system. It was included in the first generation issue of the Patagonia made Protective Clothing Uniform I was issued in early 2002.

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Cool info. You have an online source you like for buying this stuff?

Thanks! I find online to be super hit or miss on gear. Tons of junk, and the real stuff seems to be priced pretty high. But MidwayUSA has a decent mil surplus section, and thats how Sportsman Guide got their start. Just beware, tons of stuff like Tru-Spec out there is sold as Mil-spec but it isn't. I've always had better luck finding it local in the classified apps or at thrift shops. That said, im also still active so I get most of mine issued/or I buy new... :)

Anobody

WKR
I’m also military if anyone has a Multicam fleece lined soft shell in medium let a guy know

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
I’m also military if anyone has a Multicam fleece lined soft shell in medium let a guy know
Those are nice! But dang $$$$, lol. I have one, love it, but had to go in a tour of Afghanistan for it... so... cost vs benefit is a little skewed...

Its nice for uniform wear, but dang, the commercial stuff is way cheaper. I think mine cost the unit $650ish (also FR which adds to the price)... I have seen them (or a knock off brand, didn't get a good look) in the $75 range used. Thats probably a good price point for em looking at value for the dollar.

Anobody

WKR
Those are nice! But dang $$$$, lol. I have one, love it, but had to go in a tour of Afghanistan for it... so... cost vs benefit is a little skewed...

Its nice for uniform wear, but dang, the commercial stuff is way cheaper. I think mine cost the unit $650ish (also FR which adds to the price)... I have seen them (or a knock off brand, didn't get a good look) in the $75 range used. Thats probably a good price point for em looking at value for the dollar.
Completely agree ocp uniform/tactical gear is ludicrous in price but they also know the govt will pay it

ECWCS Gen III:
Puffy pants: I don't own a pair but they do exist. I understand they have zippers up to the knee for donning over your boots and they have through pockets for the waist.
Primaloft and very warm and durable. Not as heavy as they look. The zippers are full zip, ankle to hip with velcro at the hip to cover the zipper. Only 2 pounds 2 oz with the suspenders, which are necessary IMO if you plan to walk with them on. Fine in a stand without suspenders, but even in camp suspenders are a requirement to keep them up.

So, not heavy, but bulky synthetic. I run an Exo 6400 with lid for all hunts, so plenty of room even for these. Smaller pack put in dry bag and attach outside.

Very warm. Saved me on an 18 degree night when my sleeping pad catastrophically failed. Excellent for deer stand or glassing in coldest weather.

20210124_195612.jpg
20210124_195728.jpg
20210124_195720.jpg
20210124_195656.jpg

Last edited:
OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Primaloft and very warm and durable. Not as heavy as they look. If mine are legit the zippers are full zip, ankle to hip with velcro at the hip. 2 pounds 2 oz with the suspenders, which are necessary IMO if you plan to walk with them on. Fine in a stand without suspendsrs, but even in camp a requirement.

So, no heavy but bulky synthetic. I run an Exo 6400 with lid for all hunts, so plenty of room
Thats the ticket! I love the parka!

Thanks for the pics, ill try to go back and start adding some in.

gumbl3

WKR
I wear a PCU level 2 grid fleece top nearly day framing when it's cold and it only has one small hole near one of the cuffs.. Probably gone through 5 pairs of tenny runners since i've had this thing.. It's legit

I still wear the East German wool pants. They are starting to get hard to find. My other go to is a wool v neck sweater. I think it is either Swiss or Italian. I’m a wool junky.