Mile Deer Idaho Unit 40

Maine1970

FNG
I didn’t draw in Nevada this year so I bought a OTC tag in Idaho. I’m gonna hunt Unit 40 just because it’s closest to my house . I’m going scouting this weekend and am trying to decide between the Silver City or South Mountain areas, any suggestions? If not I’ll just flip a coin

I didn’t draw in Nevada this year so I bought a OTC tag in Idaho. I’m gonna hunt Unit 40 just because it’s closest to my house . I’m going scouting this weekend and am trying to decide between the Silver City or South Mountain areas, any suggestions? If not I’ll just flip a coin

Are you aware of the fact that you can only take a two point buck with the general tag?

OP
M

Maine1970

FNG
Are you aware of the fact that you can only take a two point buck with the general tag?
I am , I just want to hunt for meat this year . I checked some other areas this summer and now they are on fire so 40 it is

Spoonbill

WKR
Flipping a coin is likely going to be your best bet. Being so close to boise and an open unit, you aren’t going to find much help on the interwebz.

Whtail101

FNG
Be prepared for tons of people and atv/motorcycle traffic. Seems like it’s hard to get far enough away from the roads or trails.

I do a lot of hunting in 40 both areas you mentioned have a ton of Private land. Not sure where you are coming from sounds like out of state , all of the Owyhee units 40 41 & 42 are 2 point only . If your coming from Nevada you have as good a chance at a forkie in 41 or 42, the deer population in these units has been " MANAGED " by our wonderful Fish & NO game people that said the #s are WAY down. I used to see over a 1000 deer a day in the winter trapping & hunting yotes in one of these units, last 2 years combined have Not seen over 400 !! Good luck

I have been all over unit 40 since July this year and haven’t seen much. Few 130-140 bucks and a couple forkie’s with the does. I was lucky enough to draw the November tag this year in unit 40 but the deer sign has me a little nervous. I would flip a coin on area and get a little ways away from the trails and put your glass to work.

Wassid82

WKR
if you are headed from NV then I would do South Mountain or juniper Mountain. Spend ample time glassing. You should be able to fill at freezer with meat