Military sleep system

I used bivy and patrol bag last year in Colorado on Backcountry elk hunt it got down to mid 30s and I like to froze my rear off but it was doable. I saved and bought a new down bag this year but if I used that system again it would be with a Sea to Summit liner.

*zap*

WKR
The mss kept me warm and dry sleeping on a trailer in 30-40 degrees and pouring rain.....used the whole thing, all three bags. It was like being in a tomb...but I was not getting out.....:love:

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the responses, I know this is not the ideal setup but its what I have and cant afford to spend a lot. but for all of the real answers, I appreciate it.

there are a WHOLE bunch of good bags "out there", the whole spectrum of prices too … there is NOTHING that will screw up your next day worse than a COLD night in a bag that didn't do what you'd thought or hoped it would
From an outfitter I hunted with many seasons then worked seasonally for him as well I learned some important lessons - He swore by a military surplus down bag inside a "cowboy bedroll" and he looked like he was ready for a day in the canyons as he wriggled into his bedroll - I'm a hobby "seamster" (due to the fact that my grandmother was the sewing teacher for Singer Sewing Machine in Portland on Morrison St for 26 years I suppose) One winter after hunting was over I started messing around with "bedroll ideas", came up with a simple design using 10 oz 100% cotton marine canvas (and ZIPPER rather than the "burrito fold system") My outfitter friend AND his kids who took over the business use them to this day - It changed the way I choose and use sleeping bags and when I'm in a tent camp now often I'll completely slip out of the bag and sleep on top of it, but in the bedroll envelope (YKK zippers to control outside air too) Just a thought but I backpacked my bedroll system once and it was a bit heavier so probably not totally relevant here …….. sorry

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a bedroll many times at branding camp and gathering, however I don't feel like packing 20+ pounds in sleeping system 5-8 miles in hahaha

I just sold mine and bit the bullet on a WM bag. The MSS is fine if you are car camping, but it SUCKS for anything backpack related. They’re better options for the same price if you want something for backpacking.

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Ha! Missed that part... I’ve used the MSS plenty. Packing it numerous miles on the USMC and used it out west last year. It worked, but it was literally the first thing I upgraded for next season if that tells you anything.
I understand it isn't my best option, I like the idea of the bivy, and a tarp, vs. a tent, I will see how it goes, I know I wont take both bags and the bivy, just one. Thanks though.

I understand it isn't my best option, I like the idea of the bivy, and a tarp, vs. a tent, I will see how it goes, I know I wont take both bags and the bivy, just one. Thanks though.

Bottom line, it’s going to work. It’s been working for thousands of Soldiers and Marines for decades, in all kinds of climates.

Rinella made a good point not to long ago on his podcast, if you are considering not going because you don’t have great gear just go. Hunting with crappy gear is still better than not hunting. 30 years ago the MSS was probably top of the line. We didn’t have Gore Tex, great technical clothing, etc. Guess what? People still killed Elk.

I went out with a MSS, ILBE pack and 3 season tent last year solo... Could’ve I been more comfortable? Sure.

But guess what, I had a blast, killed a nice Pronghorn buck my first day, and learned a ton for this next year. None of that would’ve happened if I hadn’t just gone with what I had.

That said when you do upgrade, buy once cry once. You are going to spend more money in the long run if you just buy middle of the road gear. I bought a Cabelas O2 octane puffy jacket and pants for last year. They work, but I’m already wanting to upgrade to some better first lite stuff. I’ll probably take a 50% loss when I sell them in a year or two.

I have the same one I used in the Corps. I recently used it for Rifle season in MT this year. The temps dropped to around -10 and I was warm in the complete system. It is heavy and I often feel claustrophobic in it, but it keeps me warm. Also, as said previously, make sure you have the black bag when it's below freezing. I used to bring just the bivy and green bag to save space while active duty, and regretted not bringing the black bag because i woke up freezing!

I can’t afford a new bag this year so I’m hoping a good pad will help my mss be more comfortable. The few times I use it in September my pad was only an inch thick and it wasn’t comfortable on the ground at all. Also I have used the system in the back of my van with temps in the low 20’s and I was plenty warm. I was on a cot also with some foam on it.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Any of you guys use the military sleep system? I got one from a buddy and am thinking take one bag and the bivy. I know it a little heavy but it’s cheaper than an ultralight bad and tent haha. Let me know your opinions

Archery season in eastern Oregon
I hunt eastern OR archery every year. I use the military bivy all the time. This year I bought an OR bivy to cut weight but I’ve got more nights than I can count in the military one. Get a cheaper and lighter quilt, marry it up with the bivy and you’re good to go.

I've used the sleep system for several years. I generally don't backpack with the whole system as it's just too big and heavy. In warmer temps (>40) I've backpacked with the heavy bag only and been warm.

I've used both the light and heavy bag together when car camping in temps around 25 degrees. I was a bit uncomfortable. Adding the bivy would give me a few more degrees of comfort, but under 20 degrees I don't think I would be too happy.

Generally I don't think the system is very effective at keeping you comfortable at colder temps. Actually I think that's a feature and not a bug. The military, when spec'ing these out, focused on the cost to keep the soldier alive, rather than toasty warm on a cold winter's night.

Everyone's different though in how warm or cold they sleep. Another variable, since these bags are milsurp, some systems were stored compressed or not cared for correctly, which adversely affects the sleep system's performance. Bottom line, like several others have said, I would test your system out at different temperatures (including the temps you are expecting to use it at), and see how you like it.

*zap*

WKR
Generally I don't think the system is very effective at keeping you comfortable at colder temps.

I would agree with that. The bivy sack is the best part of that 'system' and 2nd best would be the e-z open zipper.

Last edited:
There are plenty of nice sleeping bags out there that are much lighter and have better warmth/weight ratios than the military system. I spent a lot of nights in my military bags, and they are tolerable at best. Not bad for car camping, but I would never want to pack one in. Cabelas has some nice bags that won't break the bank. I have a Cabelas brand Getaway (i think thats what it is called) that I paid $76. It weighs 2lbs 11oz, has a 15 degree temp rating. I have used it in Colorado and NC down to the teens. It's tolerable in the teens and comfortable at 25 or above. Or look at some of the Eddie Bauer bags. They run them 50% off quite often and they have great reivews, and are pretty lightweight.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
It will work just fine for you. It may not be the best or lightest, but it was free and in your case budget is of upmost concern.

You will be fine with it. Bring the entire system or part of it depending on conditions.

+1 on a tarp as well

zacattack

WKR
Anybody used the British army version? It has a couple of things like a larger hood, bigger size bag and mesh pockets that seem pretty nice. I was about to pull the trigger on the US system but saw a video comparing the two and am now seriously considering the British version.

Yorker

FNG
It will work just fine for you. It may not be the best or lightest, but it was free and in your case budget is of upmost concern.

You will be fine with it. Bring the entire system or part of it depending on conditions.

+1 on a tarp as well
I agree, it works and gotta start somewhere. I used it for 2 elk hunts

I used that system in some nasty weather on rhe ground (tarp for a tent) in the army froze! You are most likely much tougher than me, but living in Colorado now, I don't think I would recommend packing into the mountains with only a bivy and bags. The weather can turn on a dime if you are at any elevation and I couldn't imagine not having a crazy warm bag or a wall tent and stove when the winds start and temps drop.