Military style slings?

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
So as a former soldier I love a sling that allows the firearm to be carried in the upright position across the front of the torso. I dislike slings that put the forearm over the shoulder. what slings could I find for my preferred style of carry that can be used on a bolt gun. Thanks.

Randle

WKR
I have been using a boonie safari sling for years. Have one on every rifle. They keep the rifle at the ready and very comfortable

For bolt guns I use the same Ferro Slingster used on a recce. Difference is 2 of my bolt stocks have flush cups on the left side of the front and rear. Even so, I don't carry like I do an AR carbine. Your idea might be tricky if a stock has typical sling studs.

I like this guy.

Use it on my ars and tried it and liked it on a hunting gun. It slides for easy adjustability and you can swap it for barrel up or barrel down carry. As mentioned above the issue with carrying most hunting rifles “at the ready” is the placement of the swivels. Most are found on the bottom of the stock unless you are shooting a chassis.

To be honest, my bolt guns don’t usually have a round in the chamber until I see an animal and start my shot prep. The only exception is when I am stand hunting back East. White tails are sneaky little buggers so I will chamber a round when I settle into my stand or ambush site. I unchamber when I move on.

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I like this guy.

Use it on my ars and tried it and liked it on a hunting gun. It slides for easy adjustability and you can swap it for barrel up or barrel down carry. As mentioned above the issue with carrying most hunting rifles “at the ready” is the placement of the swivels. Most are found on the bottom of the stock unless you are shooting a chassis.

To be honest, my bolt guns don’t usually have a round in the chamber until I see an animal and start my shot prep. The only exception is when I am stand hunting back East. White tails are sneaky little buggers so I will chamber a round when I settle into my stand or ambush site. I unchamber when I move on.
Can you show me a pic of it on a bolt gun?

Here's a photo of a GAP Manners stock similar to my MCS-T. Flush cups are in the same locations. Also have a McM Classic with cups. Having cups on left side carries much better than bottom sling attachments, but I still don't carry in front.

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 7.34.16 PM.png

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a boonie safari sling for years. Have one on every rifle. They keep the rifle at the ready and very comfortable
So how does the sling keep the rifle from rolling over and being upside down?

I can't say this will help your question to Randle but the photo shows a Ferro on a carbine with mid-side flush cups. It works the same on a bolt stock with side cups. The advantage to back or shoulder carry is the rifle weight no longer wants to rotate back and counter to your forward travel. Fit is much more comfortable and snug against your back and shoulder cuz the weight turns the rifle 90 degrees to lean toward your body center.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 8.11.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 8.11.32 PM.png
    520.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
This is pretty much what I have on my AR. Not really seeing how it keeps a. Lot gun from rolling over.

For bolt guns I use the same Ferro Slingster used on a recce. Difference is 2 of my bolt stocks have flush cups on the left side of the front and rear. Even so, I don't carry like I do an AR carbine. Your idea might be tricky if a stock has typical sling studs.

MLGrace: I think we all agree. Need side cups to keep top of rifle up if you want to carry in front.

duchhntr seems to have it right.

duchntr

WKR
This is pretty much what I have on my AR. Not really seeing how it keeps a. Lot gun from rolling over.

Well the firearm is held against your chest, which keeps it from flipping, shifting etc. Heres a good primer on how 2 point slings work, no matter the weapon platform.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I’m a muzzle-down myself. I run TAB gear slings on my hunting rifles. If I can’t go hands free at any moment, I don’t want the sling.
Grove-Tec cups, the right size drill bit and tap, and some Devcon 10110 will put flush cups anywhere you want on any stock, and all my AR based rifles have them already. I’ve put them in McMillans, Manners, A2 buttstocks, everything I’ve got.

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
Just to make sure we are all on the same page, you mean muzzle down? The flush cup setup is what your after if so.
Yes it would appear so.muzzle down. Right handed shooter, I do not have cups on my Bergara.

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
Well the firearm is held against your chest, which keeps it from flipping, shifting etc. Heres a good primer on how 2 point slings work, no matter the weapon platform.
Thanks, got that part down.. I do not see how my mil style sling works without cups in the stock.

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a muzzle-down myself. I run TAB gear slings on my hunting rifles. If I can’t go hands free at any moment, I don’t want the sling.
Grove-Tec cups, the right size drill bit and tap, and some Devcon 10110 will put flush cups anywhere you want on any stock, and all my AR based rifles have them already. I’ve put them in McMillans, Manners, A2 buttstocks, everything I’ve got.
Agreed.

Sobrbiker

WKR

OP
MLGrace

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
This may be the answer. Just hate drilling the stock. But it will give me the desired carry position. Thanks

Sobrbiker

WKR
Don’t be skeered, its what any gunsmith would charge you a bunch of money to do.
1/2 inch drill bit, 9/16 NF tap-put some devcon or grey Marine Tex in bottom of hole and where threads are cut in stock. Wipe release agent (neutral shoe polish works) on inside of cup so any stray epoxy doesn’t FUBAR the operation, thread it in til flush, clean up exterior. Voila-a solid flush cup.