Military Surplus Rain Gear Experienes

Has/does anybody use mil surplus rain gear for mountain hunts? Going back to BC this year and am wanting to upgrade my rain jacket, possibly to mil surplus. I used one in my time in the service but nothing that I experienced holds a candle to a BC rain. I'd love to only pay $100 for a rain coat.

Any experiences with this gen jacket?

No experience with that exact product.
But in general Mil stuff is baggy to accommodate armor.
And its usually load as all heck, velcro and on and on.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
Back in the day when I didn't know any better I used to love the ECWCS. Then I deployed a few times with it and saw some of the arc'teryx systems that some of the operators were running. Once I had a really good lightweight breathable system on, there was no comparison, and no turning back.

I still have mine from when it was issued to me. I would not recommend it. As others have said, it is heavy and does not breath well.

duchntr

WKR
I used that stuff a fair amount, wasn't the worst, wasn't the best, at the time I was happy to have it. Im pretty sure its just 2 layer gore paclite, so yea durability and waterproofness isn't great when compared to a quality 3 layer shell. Not sure if your on a tight budget or whatnot but if I was moving to BC and planning on spending time outside, Id be saving up for some quality 3 layer rain gear, buy once cry once.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Edited to remove blah.

I have recently heard modern Goretex shell manufacturers teach the importance of proper washing and I can’t help but wonder if the bad rap some of this surplus stuff gets is a result of bad maintenance.

The Gen III level 6 looks like a good option at a low cost. For the amount of mixed reviews on high-dollar Goretex shells it seams like mil surplus may not be a bad choice if it’s not too heavy like a Gen I or Gen II ECWCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
If you’re on a shoe string budget, it’ll work. As others have said, it’s heavy, loud, baggy, wets out rather quickly and doesn’t breathe. It’s ok when you don’t know how much better top tier stuff is. The first time you wear the good stuff, all those differences are apparent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a pair of gen II pants for 60 bucks. They are basic over pants, and a little baggy, but 3/4 of the leg has a double panel so I think durability will be good. I was looking for a rain pant that can hold up to wet laurel on the sidehills in Pa and I think this will do the trick nicely. The ECWS size guide is spot on, with the understanding that the legs are baggy. I also believe the pants fold are rather compact when folded compared to some of the reviews.

I use mine for tree stand hunting.. would never want to have to try and hike in it.. like others have said. Zero breathability.. its heavy.. but will keep you bone dry.

Homer

FNG
I’m sure your hunt is over by now but for $100 just go with the helly hansen impertech or grunden neptunes. They don’t really breath but they are fairly light weight and completely waterproof.

22lr

WKR
How its cared for will absolutely affect it. I have 4 sets in the different patterns I've been issued over the years. You can tell the ones that I didnt bother to read the instructions vs the ones I did. But, even if you have a set that gets soaked through, you can use a waterproof spray to get it back up to speed and it will last for a season of use.

Its a bit heavy and loud, but it does work. The Gen III stuff is covered in vents and zippers so you can really air it out if needed. Its not worth $300, but used/surplus in the $100 range its a real gem!