Milky Hazy prisms in binoculars

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve got a pair of Leica BN7x42’s, I’ve noticed recently they had sort of haze to them so I sent them in to be inspected. A few days later a tech emailed back and agreed they were hazy due to the prisms/glass. Said they couldn’t fix due to parts availability but could clean them up as best they can. My question is could this possibly be considered manufacturing defects under the warranty.

Last edited:
Imo if they were willing to replace them they would of offered already.
But email back asking them.
Or ask about credit for an upgrade.
Or see if you don't like them when they come back sell them and get something different.

AGPank

WKR
How old is the BN model? It could be up to 20 years old, released 2001. It does sound like a defect. Are you the original owner?

Did they give a number you could call and discuss solutions? If they can’t make it right with a repair discuss reasonable options.

If you are the original owner and the warranty was lifetime (lifetime of product, not yours) they should consider upgrading to a new Trinovid. If not the original owner maybe they would do the same for a reasonable upgrade fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
X

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
I’m just kinda curious as to what causes this, old age I guess. And yeah I agree with BRTreedogs, the best thing is just to sell them probably.

I’m just kinda curious as to what causes this, old age I guess. And yeah I agree with BRTreedogs, the best thing is just to sell them probably.
I'm not sure what causes it.
But im sure manufacturering had come along ways since 2001.

The
Think about it we were just transitioning from pagers and brick phones to a Nokia w T9 texting.
Britney spears was 18
And barb wire & tribal tattoos were cool.

Think about how long ago that was

My understanding is that hazed prisms are a chemical reaction between the glass, its coatings, and lubricants inside the optic.

Depending on their warranty/policies, they may tell you that prisms hazing 20 years after you bought the bino doesn't constitute a manufacturing defect. /shrug

fatrascal

WKR
I feel like they should of offered to change out the glass. Especially if its inside the binocular. If its outside the binocular then cleaning the lenses may be part of the problem. Or as stated above it may be natural fading of the fluorite coatings. All in my opinion should be covered or partially covered. If they do not honor the warranty in some shape or form then I would change name brand of bino and get a name brand that has a reputation of truley honoring the warranty. Fatrascal

OP
X

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah as per Leica’s email it’s considered normal wear and tear, even under the passport warranty, granted they are from 2003/04 I believe. Parts and prisms are no longer available so nothing they can/will do.

Nothing against Leica as they make an incredible product, but their warranty has always been very sketchy, add to that when compared to Swarovski they’re far behind in most instances with innovation and especially warranty.

Last edited: