Milky Way Photo Help

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
I am wanting to try my first Milky Way shot this month on 8/21 in Colorado. The moon phase should be perfect.

I have a Sony a5100 with a Sony 50mm f1.8 and a Sony 18-105mm f4.0 lenses. From what I read, the 50 1.8 is the lens I should use for this.

I am thinking ISO 1600 - 2000

500/50 = 10 second exposure

I have the PhotoPills Plan screenshot below.

Any suggestions on where I should set up? I wouldn't mind having the tent in the foreground too.

Should I shoot it in time lapse?

V36xYw9.jpg

oL5d5zw.png

KHNC

WKR
I think your ISO Is MUCH too high. With a full moon, the ambient light is very bright. I normally use 600-800 ISO. I use a Canon 50 f1.8 lens to shoot astro lapse. I always setup for a 2 hr TL and take a few test shots to start. Make sure the moon is up and you can see if the ISO is too high or low. 10 secs doesnt seem like enough delay. I use 20-25 usually , but 15-20 may work with the bright sky. Alway s shoot with the widest angle you can get.

Edit, i just saw your moon phase chart. lol. With a dark night, you will get a better photo. You will need ISO of 1000-1200 and a 20-25 sec delay for sure. Sorry about that .

OP
mylsuhat

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I plan to start after the moon goes down (which is likely much earlier than shown since it's going down behind Mt. Evans lol

for the 10 seconds, I meant shutter speed, not gap between pictures. Any insight on that?

I shoot a crop sensor Canon at 1600 ISO / F2.8 / 11mm and exposures in the 10 to 15 second range. You just gotta play with it. I have more luck shooting dark and opening up in Lightroom than the other way around, but YMMV.

I get star streak with exposures longer than 20 seconds or so.

The 50mm seems too tight to me but use what you have. Take a lot of pics and keep playing. Night photography is one of my favorites. I wish I were better at Lightroom, that's probably where I could improve most.