Milsurp Arc'tyrex pack make a good beginner back country pack? Milsurp gear?

TauPhi111

WKR
Hello everyone. I'm brand new on here as I was referred here by my friend for my first back country hunt. I'm just hunting on a general elk tag in Colorado. I've hunted all my life in the east for deer and bear, but the most I've ever needed is a day pack. I've spent a lot of money on gear already and am looking for my first frame pack. I know the stuff from Kifaru, Kuiu, Stone Galcier, etc stuff is all top notch, but it is pricey! I'll likely get one in the next couple years, but for now I just need something to get me through my first couple hunts.

I'm wondering what the collective opinion is on military surplus gear as back country hunting gear. I found a pack at the a milsurp store here in Dayton that seems to provide everything you'd want in a back country pack: internal frame, 4500 cu in, carries 120 lbs, compression straps, and many other nice features. It is the USMC improved Load Bearing Equipment main pack manufactured by Proper International and designed by Arc'Tyrex. For $170 bucks it looks like a good deal. Please let me know what you think about this for a starter back country pack. The link is below

ILBE Main Pack (MARPAT) by Propper International | Thunderhead Outfitters

Do people generally think milsurp gear is a great deal for back country hunting, or cheap, outdated junk to avoid? I'm thinking about getting a milsurp sleep system too since it is priced right and is rated to very cold temps.

Thanks everyone

You might not get much interest here in discussing that pack but I bought and have used it for several backpacking trips and hunts and I think it's great. It comes in heavy but you could trim it up if you want. Built like a tank. If you are tall it won't be a great pack for you. But if money is tight it is great. I've got 60 lbs of sand in it and have been hiking it into a canyon and out for several weeks to prep for upcoming hunt. I've made a few mods but nothing major. One thing I will tell you is that if you post in classified on this forum that you are looking for this pack you can get it cheaper here. Paid 125 shipped and the pack was in amazing shape.

oenanthe

WKR
The ILBE is a pretty good pack; it is based on the Arcteryx Bora design which is a fine pack. I used to own an ILBE. There are two main issues: 1) it has fairly short stays, so tall guys will not get a good angle on the load lifters, and 2) it is pretty heavy compared to the high-tech options.

$170 seems pretty high; I haven't checked lately but I think you could get one for about half that on ebay. They are definitely a bargain if you are on a budget.

I don't know anything about the sleeping bags - can't help you there. But if you're looking for clothing the ECWCS system has some good pieces that are quite inexpensive on ebay, like Level 1 light base layer, Level 2 thick base layer, Level 4 windshirt, and Level 5 softshell.

2ski

WKR
I've seen them for a hundred in pawn shops. No experience with them but I think they look decent from handling in the pawn shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

adamm88

WKR
I had one, I gutted the straps and changed out the pulls to para cord, Empty it was around 6 1/2 pounds on my scale. Definitely heavy duty, and there are ways to get one cheaper than $170. I think i paid around $100 for mine off of ebay.

I never felt like i could get mine adjusted right, The length of the shoulder straps i dont feel like i got a good balance of how a pack should fit(like kifaru). The wast belt was pretty disappointing and i could never get my to feel like it was snug enough. Overall for $100 its a good pack that will carry alot of weight and you can beat the crap out of it, but i feel there are better options out there for the money.

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
I had one also that I trimmed off the extras and agree with everything adamm88 posted. One added bonus is that the Kifaru duplex belt seemed to fit the pack fairly well. The pack stays slid into the stay pockets on the belt. Kifaru's belt is a night and day better option from the ILBE belt. Its a great pack for a beginner just getting into backpacking. Search for a cheaper one, definitely well built for a $100 pack.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Packed out an elk 2 years ago with a ILBE from Arcteryx My kifaru wasn't done. I put the Kifaru Belt on it and cut a lot of the excess straps off to get the weight down. It wasn't to bad but definitely not a Kifaru or Stone Glacier for Comfort. You can get 125-150$ out of one if its in decent shape and you are patient.

freshta

WKR
I use that pack to train with and then switch to my Kifaru about a month before I head west. I do this to save wear and tear on the Kifaru. I paid way too much money to be tearing it up carrying sandbags and doing some of the other exercises I use the pack for. I've had as much as 80 lbs in it and it carries pretty well for the most part. I'm 5'8 and it fits perfectly. Like others have said, it's heavy, but it's bomb proof. I've had mine for 4 years, I believe and despite all the times its been dropped, thrown, sat on and dragged, it's still in great shape. I paid $120 on ebay. I wouldn't be afraid to use the ILBE to hunt the back country.

LBFowler

WKR
I wouldn't pay more then $80 for one, eBay is pretty well flooded and it is easy to grab one even cheaper if you get just the bag and add straps and belt to taste, the Hill people Gear suspension is pretty much plug and play.

If you are over 5'10" or so I'd recommend getting some longer stays for it if you plan on carrying much weight, carbon fiber arrows or 7075 stays off of eBay work, I think I have 25" ones in mine right now.

You'll have to cut a ton of junk off of one to get it down to a reasonable weight, I think fully kitted they are close to 10lbs empty, I got mine down to 5lbs but most people won't cut that much stuff off.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Thanks for all the help everyone! From what I see here I'll definitely be considering this pack, but I'll definitely be looking for less than $170. I had originally found a combo deal on the IBLE, the matching assault pack, modular sleep system, and an E-tool for $150 or the pack itself for $75, but that website doesn't seem to do business anymore, which is disappointing.

I work within the DoD, and there is a gear site where police, military, DoD can get discounted gear. I found an Alps Outdoors Commander + Pack bag for $160. Can anyone say how this compare to the IBLE? How does Alps Outdoors compare with Kifaru/Kuiu/SG? Please excuse my ignorance because I am relatively new to frame packs. Is the IBLE an internal frame and the Alps Outdoors an external frame?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a stripped down bag and shoulder harness, no belt, I'd let loose cheap if you wanted one. Its not a bad bag for hauling meat in general but the bigger name packs are more comfortable in my opinion (having hauled elk in both). Personally I'd look for a used frame on the classifieds and you'll be in much better shape going forward. First its going to be more comfortable. Second all the frames most of us use you can change the bags/load slings/etc. around while keeping the core system setup that fits you well. If you get an ILBE you'd have a freighter pack and that's it, not much adaptability.

Yes the ILBE is internal frame.

Wrongside

WKR
On a tight budget I'd go with an old Arcteryx BORA long before a ILBE. I've used both, the Bora for many years and the ILBE for a season. The BORA is a much more comfortable load hauler.

Last edited:
The ILBE Marine pack does good. But, a Gen IV Army Ruck is far superior in every way. I own and have carried heavy loads for many miles on both. IF the frame on the Gen IV Army ruck was more narrow, I'd never bought a Kifaru. They are that good.

You can get a ILBE pack for $75 or so. An Army ruck for about $40. Good luck and God Bless

I have an ilbe and it is my first pack. I paid $80 and got the source hydration bladder ( which is awesome it came with pack straps to carry independent ic I want) and I got the assault pack. I am just over 6' tall and I can't seem to get it to fit right. I'm glad this thread came up as I was gonna ask if a Kifaru belt would fit. Also I never even thought about getting longer stays. I am a welder/machinist and can order some 7075 aluminum probably pretty cheaply compared to what most would have to spend. if anyone has an old Kifaru belt or something similar that would work hit me up please I will probuy it. I am gonna run this pack and see how much backpacking I really do then decide if I want to dump coin into a new one.

I also have the 4pc modular sleep system (mss) I like it and have slept down in the teens with no problem on a fit in a tent. And also on a plywood bed in my van. The only complaint I have is if you pull the bivy over your face there is no hooped pole to keep it off you. I also assume it's heavier then the more expensive ones but I never weighed it I just assumed it was. I gotta say the shit seems heavy duty to me.

Owenst7

WKR
The sleeping bag systems aren't a bad deal for truck camping. The bivy shell isn't a bad setup for backpacking if you're comfortable using it instead of a shelter. I would never plan to backpack with the bag though. It's way too bulky and heavy. Used, your $100 would put you in a really nice down bag. I just picked up a Marmot 5" thick 775 down goretex bag for $70 shipped to have as a loaner. It weighs 4 lbs and packs to about the size of a football. The bag I backpack with when it's cold is a Western Mountaineering Antelope that is 7" thick...It's way warmer than the military setup. It's a goretex shell and under 3 lbs...packs to about the size of my heavy down jacket.

tommy

FNG
Hello everyone. I'm brand new on here as I was referred here by my friend for my first back country hunt. I'm just hunting on a general elk tag in Colorado. I've hunted all my life in the east for deer and bear, but the most I've ever needed is a day pack. I've spent a lot of money on gear already and am looking for my first frame pack. I know the stuff from Kifaru, Kuiu, Stone Galcier, etc stuff is all top notch, but it is pricey! I'll likely get one in the next couple years, but for now I just need something to get me through my first couple hunts.

I'm wondering what the collective opinion is on military surplus gear as back country hunting gear. I found a pack at the a milsurp store here in Dayton that seems to provide everything you'd want in a back country pack: internal frame, 4500 cu in, carries 120 lbs, compression straps, and many other nice features. It is the USMC improved Load Bearing Equipment main pack manufactured by Proper International and designed by Arc'Tyrex. For $170 bucks it looks like a good deal. Please let me know what you think about this for a starter back country pack. The link is below

ILBE Main Pack (MARPAT) by Propper International | Thunderhead Outfitters

Do people generally think milsurp gear is a great deal for back country hunting, or cheap, outdated junk to avoid? I'm thinking about getting a milsurp sleep system too since it is priced right and is rated to very cold temps.

Thanks everyone
the sleep system is way to to heavy to backpack with i have used the patrol{green}bag and the bivy sack down to about 38degrees and was ok

Inspired by this thread I took the stays out of my ILBE which are 22". I don't have 7075 but plenty of 6061. Made some 3/8 " thick stays to replace the originals. Made 24" and 25" stays. Both fit and will report back as to their effectiveness. Weight seemed fairly negligible. Btw I'm 6' tall. And for those that don't know, the originals are 1/8" thick. The stiffness seemed comparable with the 3/8" feeling a bit stiffer.

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread I took the stays out of my ILBE which are 22". I don't have 7075 but plenty of 6061. Made some 3/8 " thick stays to replace the originals. Made 24" and 25" stays. Both fit and will report back as to their effectiveness. Weight seemed fairly negligible. Btw I'm 6' tall. And for those that don't know, the originals are 1/8" thick. The stiffness seemed comparable with the 3/8" feeling a bit stiffer.

Good to know. I need to look around the he shop I know we got something laying around. I don't want to buy 7075 if I don't have to.

3d1add32b4878589c52b16148d10d23f.png

Here is the pack as well adjusted as I believe possible. This is with the 25" stays. I can't imagine why I would bother with the 24s. Like I said I'm 6' tall. Don't know my torso length. The stay angle is a vast improvement from the 22s. I would say 60-70 degree improvement. Oh and the pack has 60# in it. I've been training with this pack and 60# for a month or so with the 22s. Didn't get out today but will tomorrow. I imagine it will only be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I honestly wouldn't be afraid to grab an ILBE for a budget pack. There is scads of info out there on how to modify them and lighten them up. I have a couple laying around. One I cut the bag completely off, leaving some strategically placed buckles, with the idea of making it a frame to attach another bag. I never finished, but it's still a workable option I think. The other I have considered trimming and resewing the bag to lighten and make it a bit smaller. Haven't even started that one. My point is for $80ish you can get 80-90% of what you want, as opposed to $500-700 for 100% of what you want. There are very good reasons that extra 10-20% costs what it does for a company to make, but it doesn't always pencil out for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk