Milsurp Arc'tyrex pack make a good beginner back country pack? Milsurp gear?

3d1add32b4878589c52b16148d10d23f.png

Here is the pack as well adjusted as I believe possible. This is with the 25" stays. I can't imagine why I would bother with the 24s. Like I said I'm 6' tall. Don't know my torso length. The stay angle is a vast improvement from the 22s. I would say 60-70 degree improvement. Oh and the pack has 60# in it. I've been training with this pack and 60# for a month or so with the 22s. Didn't get out today but will tomorrow. I imagine it will only be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that. For me, the 25 inch stays would really get the angle up there.

I asked about what pack to get a few weeks back, thinking I could probably get an ILBE and be just fine. What I found out from my thread and various others through reading on here as that they are heavy but solid. Not a great choice for the serious back pack hunter, but acceptable for the guy hunting and camping from the truck that wants to be able to haul meat but isnt concerned too much about ounces.

I have a fair amount of miles with an ILBE on my back and while it wasn't terribly comfortable all the time, I knew it would likely be acceptable for me with what I'd use it for nowadays.

One popped up locally for $50 Today. It's not in the greatest of shape, but solid where it counts. I plan on lightening it up and using it locally and maybe for 1 trip out west. I will eventually drop the coin on a kifaru, but for now this will work.

I guess my point is you may need to look at your intended uses and see if a $100 solid but heavy pack will work or will you need the lighter, likely better designed pack that has scores of people that can attest to it's servicability.

Not a great choice for the serious back pack hunter, but acceptable for the guy hunting and camping from the truck that wants to be able to haul meat but isnt concerned too much about ounces.

I couldn't agree less.
That's ok. I respect your opinion because I can guarantee you have more miles hunting with one than I have, as well as I haven't used anything "better".

I have an ilbe. Bought it on eBay for about $100. I wouldn't buy one new but I think it is a fine starter pack. If you want a cheap upgrade then buy a used mystery ranch nice frame off eBay and mount it up. You would have a hell of a rig for around $200.

Like a lot of .mil gear it is a bit overbuilt to handle a different job but it will work and without much of a weight penalty.

The sleep system is another story. Way, way to heavy. I have one of the old school fart sacks that I actually used to add weight to my ruck for marches back in the day. I also have one of the ecwcs sets that you can get for $50 bucks now. The goretex bivy is ok but weighs over 2 pounds. The patrol bag is heavy for its warmth and the black cold bag is stupid heavy. With the compression bag I think the hole set is 10 pounds. A light weight tent and good zero degree bag could be half that weight and far more comfortable.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I have the ILBE and used it for hiking 30lbs in it.
It's heavy for someone "not fit" like these new Soldiers and Marines who runs and trains every week.

I'm an occasional hiker and with 30lbs only, it gave my hips a bit of a problem...I echo what folks say about the hip belt and its padding.
If use my Mystery Ranch Rush with same 30lbs, no hip problem at all.

Is it bomb proof? Sure feels like it. I'd keep mine for vehicle camping for sure. Or hammock camping because everything inside the pack is light.

Hauling meat on it? I guess if you're fit to carry. 6lbs empty is 6lbs....ounces to pounds...pounds to pain.

I've yet to go on a hunt, but, I can only imagine what frustration and adult profanity one may come out from someone who's been glassing some deer or elk for 3-5 days, then to finally take down a heavy meat. Then make 2-3 trips to haul that meat back to your truck, hoping, praying those stitches are not ripping apart because it wasn't up to spec. Or curse and moan, because that meat won't fit right on your pack and you've already exhausted 3-6 days of your 7-day vacation.

Why gamble?
Leave the military surplus for military purposes.
Unless you're smuggling a hot little-people stripper:cool:

Kudos to these members btw with resourceful attitude with modding the ILBE. I did read about using Kirafu belts working miracles in improving the load on this pack. The belts a hefty price, good luck finding a used one.

Last edited:
Your knees will buckle long before that pack gives. There are very few men around that can put 130# in a pack and walk out of the mountains. They exist but there aren't many.

I will tell you this, the ilbe pack will not tear up. It will not fail as the sceneries above proposes. It's built like a tank therefore, it is a tank. I will gaurantee you aftermarket packs will fail before it does.

These packs are good enough that most everyone here has them but, can't bring themselves to do away with them. Keep that in mind when people talk negatively about them.

God Bless

LimaBravo

FNG
I know this thread is old and I'm not necessarily on topic but I have had great success using a Milsurp Marine Corps FILBE pack. What got my attention was the design. I liked that it's narrow and has a sleep compartment that can be separated internally from the main pack. While it's not 100% segregated it's enough to keep my sleeping bag dry when everything else is wet (Pacific NW is beautiful but WET). The design was helped by Dana Gleason from my understanding and you can see some of the design elements from Mystery Ranch. The plastic frame sucks but I have it mounted to a NICE frame and it provided me a viable option until I saved the coin to buy my Crewcab. I found the FILBE for about $30 without frame or straps on Ebay. Look carefully because some of these packs have been beat to death but some are completely surplus and used very little. Just a little different view on the subject.

Mt Al

WKR
I know this thread is old and I'm not necessarily on topic but I have had great success using a Milsurp Marine Corps FILBE pack. What got my attention was the design. I liked that it's narrow and has a sleep compartment that can be separated internally from the main pack. While it's not 100% segregated it's enough to keep my sleeping bag dry when everything else is wet (Pacific NW is beautiful but WET). The design was helped by Dana Gleason from my understanding and you can see some of the design elements from Mystery Ranch. The plastic frame sucks but I have it mounted to a NICE frame and it provided me a viable option until I saved the coin to buy my Crewcab. I found the FILBE for about $30 without frame or straps on Ebay. Look carefully because some of these packs have been beat to death but some are completely surplus and used very little. Just a little different view on the subject.

Dana did help on the design and the plastic frame and waistbelt SUCK. Your FILBE/NICE frame option is wise! Others haven't called the pack narrow, but it holds a ton.

LimaBravo

FNG
Thanks for catching my error...it should read, I liked that it's not narrow.
I changed from the older Arc'teryx Altra pack and while I liked that pack I didn't like how narrow it was. This made it difficult to load up especially if you were in a hurry and didn't organize and pack meticulously. The FILBE is like a large hefty bag for reference.

Last edited:

frankrb3

WKR
I used the ILBE in the Marine Corps for my first deployment. I think it will serve your purpose well but I believe you can find them for cheaper than $170. Check Ebay.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I did an entire Post on the ILBE last year, I picked one up and cut it down and added a HPG belt to it so it held better on the hips. Turned out great and I used it for 1 5 day hunt but unfortunately as others have said if your over 5'10" you dont get much lift out of it. I packed out 50 lbs of Elk meat with it also my buddy put down. Here are the photos for the post I did. Post is gone from Jungletraining website now unfortunately.

ILBE Slideshow by sky3555 | Photobucket