Mini Mules for Packing

gunnar_17

FNG
While stage one of my mini pack mule program has commenced.
Purchased 2 brothers 1.5 yrs and 2.5yrs old. They came totally unbroken in any way and with in a week we have halters on and they are leading pretty well.
Time to start working on their feet and and manners.
Has any one else went down this path? Any secrets or advice?
I think I'll build my own saw-bucks to start and hopefully be able to get some light packing in this fall.
b0644e3905a7ce47b6118cdb455e35bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

EastMont

FNG
Heck yeah man! Congrats on giving it a shot. I don't have a ton of sage advice but we do have quite a few mini mule packers/drivers in my local Mule and Donkey Association. Where do you live?

Remember that mules and donkeys live extremely long. You essentailly bought toddlers, and they will be in that stage for a couple more years. Be patient with them and they will be exceptional loyal and hard working for you. Some days it'll feel like you take twos steps back but just do you best to be consistent.

I recently did a blog on where to find donkey/mule gear- https://www.nmpackburros.com/burro-blog
I personally always wondered how llama gear (Sopris Brand) would do on a mini mule, I've seen pictures with them on. But mountain ridge gear makes some really nice mini pack saddles, the budget option is Bantaam Saddle Tack

Post your progress and let us know how it goes.

Also don't make them obese, buy cheap grass hay, and limit pasture time. That will kill them faster than anything, and cause a ton of vet bills in 10 years.

OP
gunnar_17

gunnar_17

FNG
Hey thanks for the advice on the Mules. It's been pretty satisfying so far the young one (Remi) is letting me handle his feet and the older one (Moe) is coming around.
Luckily I grew up ranching and have always owned horses so the commitment and general animal husbandry doesn't bother me it's more understanding how to train a mule I'm interested in.
Everything I've read leads to lots of patience and trust and far less "breaking".
I live and Guide Outfit in Northern B.C. if the mules go well I'm hoping to use them on our Mountain Goat hunts to help haul camp/meat

Jordan Budd and I were talking about using donkeys last night.
I'm working on moving to a place with some land where I'll be able to get backcountry stock.
Horses and mules seem like a huge pain but being able to ride would be nice.
Goats seem like a giant cluster fluck.
Llamas are spendy AF.
Donkeys though seem very economical and simple.

We're these BLM adoptions? One blog I read last night a feller in CO got two donkeys and a trailer tack and everything for just over 2k. They were blm rescues that his friend trained. That's my kind of price.

What about feed in the backcountry? How much do you need to haul in per animal? Are they better on how much water they need? Can they be left in camp during the day then at night walk them to the stream?

Plus the benefit of a doneky I can see is anytime I took them to the mountians I'd get there a lot faster because I'd be hauling ass!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Brooks

WKR
I had a friend who had a little mule like you have he turned out to be more like a dog in the mountains . He would put a halter on him at the cabin and lead him up a trail for a little ways then turn him loose. That little mule would stay with us free range all day, mile after mile. He had a little britchen made and the mule would haul our packs when we were riding horses, stand tied when we were hunting, pack out small meat loads. He got so used to following the horses you could hardly leave him home because he would raise so much cain until you let him come along. He died
last year but he sure was a good little mule. Good luck with yours.

OP
gunnar_17

gunnar_17

FNG
Jordan Budd and I were talking about using donkeys last night.
I'm working on moving to a place with some land where I'll be able to get backcountry stock.
Horses and mules seem like a huge pain but being able to ride would be nice.
Goats seem like a giant cluster fluck.
Llamas are spendy AF.
Donkeys though seem very economical and simple.

We're these BLM adoptions? One blog I read last night a feller in CO got two donkeys and a trailer tack and everything for just over 2k. They were blm rescues that his friend trained. That's my kind of price.

What about feed in the backcountry? How much do you need to haul in per animal? Are they better on how much water they need? Can they be left in camp during the day then at night walk them to the stream?

Plus the benefit of a doneky I can see is anytime I took them to the mountians I'd get there a lot faster because I'd be hauling ass!

I'm just starting on this journey with the mini-mules, they were basically freebies at $100 a piece however they were totally unbroken.
I have been very impressed with the way they are coming around, I had halters on with in the first week and by the end of the month I could work on their feet.
They seem to have very different personalities than either horses or donkeys from what I can tell, they are very deliberate in their decision making process (stubborn) yet almost dog like in the sense that they seem to bond quickly.
From what I can see they are very easy on water and food. This is not a big concern up in B.C. where I hunt because both food and water are plentiful wherever we camp. We will not be packing food for them. I plan on using a single hot wire and solar electric fencer to keep them near camp.

I'm just starting on this journey with the mini-mules, they were basically freebies at $100 a piece however they were totally unbroken.
I have been very impressed with the way they are coming around, I had halters on with in the first week and by the end of the month I could work on their feet.
They seem to have very different personalities than either horses or donkeys from what I can tell, they are very deliberate in their decision making process (stubborn) yet almost dog like in the sense that they seem to bond quickly.
From what I can see they are very easy on water and food. This is not a big concern up in B.C. where I hunt because both food and water are plentiful wherever we camp. We will not be packing food for them. I plan on using a single hot wire and solar electric fencer to keep them near camp.

Shoot so if they're good on what's available like llamas thats a huge plus!
They don't need to be shawed either, right?

OP
gunnar_17

gunnar_17

FNG
Correct no shoes in general. I know in really tough conditions guys will shoe the front on full size mules but I have no plans to do so.

rayporter

WKR
the good ones are great and tougher than nails

the bad ones aint worth a bullet.

dont feed them much. dont give grain. they founder easily.

they might need some serious training to stay in a hot wire. the little buggers can go under one so fast they dont get the buzz.

EastMont

FNG
I used a battery powered fence charger in the backcountry. Patriot brand available at Big R which is the cheaper verision of the gallagher brand.

They run on 4 D batteries and will be lighter than a solar charger. I've been running the same batteries for about a year of intermitten use.

OP
gunnar_17

gunnar_17

FNG
I used a battery powered fence charger in the backcountry. Patriot brand available at Big R which is the cheaper verision of the gallagher brand.

They run on 4 D batteries and will be lighter than a solar charger. I've been running the same batteries for about a year of intermitten use.
Thanks I have one similar to that we use around the yard.
I live your blog lots of great info.
I think I'm going to build my own sawbuck if I get a really good design I'm planning on getting a friend to roto-mold poly fully adjustable ones.
Have you ever built one?

Huntnnw

WKR
why would goats be a cluster ****? I have heard 10x the horror storys about llamas. Hell I have 17 of them and have been nothing but great on the trail. I wouldnt even consider owning stock that I couldn't ride that couldn't go where I walk. Reason I have goats