Mini split heat

kipper09

WKR
Off topic here but looking for some help. We built a cabin/tiny house on some property we have. We put a Mitsubishi mini split in it for air and heat. I have some worries about colder weather and having a heat source for it. I read a mini split doesn’t do well when it’s really cold. Cabin is 24x16 with a loft. I been considering a gas wall heater or cove heater. Anybody have any input? I don’t want to spend a fortune but I want heat if it gets cold for obvious reasons but also if it gets cold so water doesn’t freeze and bust when I’m not there. Vented or ventless wall heater? Just throwing it out for some help and discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wags

WKR
Following....

I'll be building something similar next year in Colorado and am interested in the same. I was looking at a ventless propane heater but if the mini will do the work I may buy a unit that has heat as well as AC.

Rich M

WKR
We had a place on the canadian border and would disconnect the water lines in the winter so the pipes wouldnt get damaged. Had a house type kerosene heater.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Following....

I'll be building something similar next year in Colorado and am interested in the same. I was looking at a ventless propane heater but if the mini will do the work I may buy a unit that has heat as well as AC.

We have the mini split in. As I understand as it gets colder and colder it’s works less and less. From like 40 on down to zero it declines in efficiency. Under 0 it doesn’t work and it gets under 0 here some times. It’s easy to put a gas ventless heater in and pretty cheap. For what I would use I’m leaning that way. But they say moisture problems with ventless. Vented is considerably more money.

BBob

WKR
Depends on the unit you chose. Mitsubishi offers mini splits specifically designed for small homes and cold weather (like 0°F give or take depending on the unit). When you chose your unit did you spec it for cold weather use?

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Depends on the unit you chose. Mitsubishi offers mini splits specifically designed for small homes and cold weather (like 0°F give or take depending on the unit). When you chose your unit did you spec it for cold weather use?

Mitsubishi 16 seer

(1) Mitsubishi WR Outdoor Unit 18,000 BTU
(1) Mitsubishi WR Indoor Wall Unit 18,000 BTU (1) Mitsubishi Remote Controller
(1) Mitsubishi 15' Lineset

That’s from the quote. They said it was good to 0

There was an option for hyper something or the other that was -13. But it was quite a bit more money.

BBob

WKR
Looks like a standard 18K BTU unit at 0° is going to operate at ~55-65% capacity depending on specific model. Some Hyper units would operate at 100% capacity down to -5°, some 100% at 5°.

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
I built an entire apartment complex with min splits. They were 800 sq ft 1 bedroom, 1 bath, kitchen and living. We have never had a problem.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I do heating and air-conditioning for a living and have installed multiple mini splits, I recommend a supplemental source of heat. I would never put one in a house as the sole source of heat. Multiunit dwellings are a different animal then standalone structures

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I do heating and air-conditioning for a living and have installed multiple mini splits, I recommend a supplemental source of heat. I would never put one in a house as the sole source of heat. Multiunit dwellings are a different animal then standalone structures

What supplement would you suggest?

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
@Truaxdw i will ad that everything we build is spray foamed.

However, apartments, offices, barndominiums and small living spaces. I’ve put mini splits in all of them without any supplemental heat. I’ve never had anybody call and say anything. I’m not trying to argue because I’m not an expert in the field by any means, but I know what has been working for us.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
anything from electrical baseboard, woodstove, propane or gas heater. Spray foam makes a huge difference, there’s usually going to be a larger heating requirement than a cooling requirement for most structures I’m in Virginia for a reference

bobr1

WKR
I have a Mitsubishi hyper heat with a single head that heats most of the house. It can and does work below zero. Though it begins to struggle when it’s like -5. So I have baseboards that kick in when it gets below like 65 in the house. We did only have r19 in the attic which I just got blown in to r49. So i expect it to work better this winter.

Mt Al

WKR
Have a friend with a lodge in Montana and he put mini splits in some cabins that, by design, have high ceilings and one wall that's mostly glass. They did fine when the temps were mild and then failed miserably when it got below (I'm guessing here) 10 degrees F. He had to add supplemental heat in the form of smaller propane forced air units. All worked out fine after that.

Wags

WKR
We have the mini split in. As I understand as it gets colder and colder it’s works less and less. From like 40 on down to zero it declines in efficiency. Under 0 it doesn’t work and it gets under 0 here some times. It’s easy to put a gas ventless heater in and pretty cheap. For what I would use I’m leaning that way. But they say moisture problems with ventless. Vented is considerably more money.

Would adding a dehumidifier negate the moisture issue?

I'm also going to have a wood burning stove as well.

CajunNavy337

Lil-Rokslider
Send me the model number of both the indoor and outdoor units. From that, I can tell you how it will handle temps below freezing. Otherwise we are just guessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Send me the model number of both the indoor and outdoor units. From that, I can tell you how it will handle temps below freezing. Otherwise we are just guessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Appreciate that. I’ll get them next time I’m there. I’m really just wondering what the best backup is. I’m going to do something for backup. Just kinda curious what everybody thinks is best.

tuffcity

WKR
FWIW I heat primarily with propane and it functions well to -40 (where C and F meet) After that it can struggle if the tank doesn't have a bit of heat or insulation. We hit -50C last winter (-58F) but we had so much frickin' snow that the tanks were buried and the gas never stopped flowing.

Why don't you look at plumbing in propane for aux heat (vented), stove/oven (even fridge if you have no power) on demand hot water and an outdoor grill?