Minimalist boots

I have switched to all zero-drop shoes for daily living, summer hiking, and athletics, and it has helped with knee pain etc. I am wondering if anyone knows of a decent waterproof minimalist boot for hunting. I have tried vivobarefoot FG trackers but they are too cold for late season.
Its a long shot but I figured I would check.

FLAK

WKR
Bought my son some Altama maritime shoes that
look interesting.
And Ironically, they're not waterproof.

Last edited:

frosty_1

FNG
I tried the Inov-8 Roclites but found they run super narrow. I'm currently running the Altra RSM Mid and they are super comfy...so far so good, though I can't attest to long term durability.

Ercas

FNG
I wear minimalist shoes everyday for everything. I've had a hard time finding a flat boot that's also wide.

Mbirn277

FNG
Belleville makes two boots that might fit your bill. The Minimil and the Minimil Transition. The Minimil boots are my favorite but keep some shoe goo with you as they aren’t the most durable. The transition boots aren’t completely flat but they are more durable and cushioned.

Mbirn277

FNG
Joe Nimble and Kuuva are two other names worth googling. A few years ago, the Kuuva Feelmax were the only minimalist boots to go with and the first two gens were supposedly amazing. I’ve heard less than positive things about the new ones but maybe they’re worth a look-see.

I tried the Inov-8 Roclites but found they run super narrow. I'm currently running the Altra RSM Mid and they are super comfy...so far so good, though I can't attest to long term durability.
Look up Altra LonePeak mids.......they have a water proof membrane, zero drop and great traction.

Which Roclite a do you have? I’m currently trying to decide between the 335&345 or the Altra lone peak mid rsm. What do you think of them?

TreyPound

FNG
I have always hunted in boots that are light and lack ankle support. I hate stiff soles, and I like light boots that I can feel the ground through.

I usually go the route of light goretex boots, or light boots made of full leather and keep them well oiled. the only ankle problems I have ever had were from boots you described with more of a robust sole. a light, short, goretex hiker with light duty gaiters like Sitka flash gaiters is the perfect setup for me early archery season....or like right now, spring bear.

Lems came out with a waterproof Boulder Boot, I have a pair I will probably be hunting in, I like how you can feel the ground with them a bit more. I dont think they would be what I choose to wear in some snow though, hard to be both minimalist and insulated well.

sargent

WKR
I'm not sure if they are zero drop, but I've had good luck with Crispi Lapponias. They are lightweight and flexible and have been 100% waterproof for the 4 months I've owned them.

i wear Altra every day,,, only shoes i will wear anymore..
i do own the lone peak 3 mid waterproof as well, I've worn them for hunting and hiking with weight,
the good,,
lots of miles on them, fairly durable surprisingly,they keep my feet dry, all day comfortable even with weight heavy or light, I've been very impressed with them I've had them for 2 hunting seasons now

the bad

sidehilling for long distances(miles) is not comfortable, they wont slip, but your foot flexes so much it gets fatigued after a 3-5 miles,,,,not a few hundred yards,, MILES

the sole is so soft the bottoms of your feet will get tender as well. after many miles of rocky terrain

now this is from archery ek hunting this year, averaging 8 miles a day, mostly off trails, when on trails this is the most comfortable hiker with or without weight......

the sole has great traction as well.

you wont find a more comfortable hiker IMO,, awesome, but the sidehilling long distances and soft sole on the rocky and sharp ground can fatigue feet...

i had several days over 12 miles this year in them,, when mostly on trail my feet were not fatigued at all

if i know I'm not going to sidehill really steep terrain for long, and walk through miles of boulder fields it is my choice of boot,, very light, very comfortable,, but if i know i have to sidehill steep terrain for more than 3-4 miles i may think about wearing my lowa boots this is my opinion and i would have weight on my back for all this 20lbs+

I, too have gone minimalistic with my shoes. Prios for working out. Vivos for dress and Xero has come out with some interesting waterproof boots.

swiftni

FNG
I used Altra Lone Peaks this year and loved them. Need to figure out a cold weather solution still.