Minimalist Camp Chair

Voyageur

WKR
Somewhere awhile back I saw a picture of a minimalist camp chair that was basically just a fabric backrest supported by 2 or 3 short light weight aluminum kickstand type poles. Search as I might I can't find any such thing.
Anyone have any help?

Last edited:

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure what you're specifically talking about, but I really like this chair. I bring it on hunts that I plan to do a lot glassing and/or ambush hunting. It takes less than a minute to assemble and its very nice to get off the ground when at camp or even while hunting. It's also my favorite piece of fishing gear 😆

Rokbar

WKR
Check out the Moon Lence outdoor ultralight folding chairs on amazon. I ordered 2 for $60. 2lb on the dot. Worth their weight to carry.

bpurtz

WKR
Please report back.

Received the MountainSmith Slingback Chair that I ordered. I've previously packed an Alite Monarch Butterfly Chair which comes in at 1lb 5 oz.

My first impression is my Alite is far more comfortable, however the decreased weight might very well be worth the slight loss in comfort.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Received the MountainSmith Slingback Chair that I ordered. I've previously packed an Alite Monarch Butterfly Chair which comes in at 1lb 5 oz.

My first impression is my Alite is far more comfortable, however the decreased weight might very well be worth the slight loss in comfort.
Thanks for the update. Please let us know more after you've had some time in the field with it. Mine should arrive later this week.

mikey1299

FNG
Does the Slingback chair provide enough back support with just the trekking poles? Part of me feels like the poles would break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Haven't used one yet, but I'm pretty sure the trekking poles won't break. My big question is whether or not the chair will be comfortable and only in field use will answer that question.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Received my Slingback chair and took it outside for a quick test. It seems perfect for what I want....a lightweight back rest when out in the sticks. I was surprised at how sturdy it sets up with the trekking poles. I didn't envision it being that stable. Granted, it is not nearly as comfortable as a framed chair, but I need this for those times I'm not able to afford the weight of a regular chair. I could also easily see finding a couple sticks to serve the same purpose as your trekking poles if they were already employed as shelter supports.
Actual field use will give a truer picture, but right now I'm happy with my purchase.