Minimalist day pack that holds bow and has bladder pouch

fwafwow

WKR
Many thanks to those who responded to my prior backpack question (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/approach-to-a-day-pack-hunt.178595/). We just secured rental of eBikes, so there is less need for me to take a pack with a frame to haul meat - as I can go back to camp to get that setup (MR Pintler).

Now I'm looking into a minimalist backpack to hold what I've figured out to be a pretty material amount of stuff (please - make cut suggestions to https://lighterpack.com/r/3tcnlz) - bow, 3L Hydrapak, glass (some still TBD), kill kit, trauma and emergency items, and some warmer clothing. I have a Horn Hunter G3 *Treestand* backpack that probably will do in a pinch, but it doesn't have a bladder pouch.

Open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Sharpsman

FNG
Just got a Alaskan Guide Creations Scout pack that would fit the bill nicely. They are also currently on sale with free shipping

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Just got a Alaskan Guide Creations Scout pack that would fit the bill nicely. They are also currently on sale with free shipping

Wow - looks pretty close to what I'm after. Just need to figure out (a) what I'm taking for glass, and (b) whether my final list of stuff will all fit in there! I've got a Marsupial bino pack, and it appears that the AGC Scout would integrate, but I'm not 100% sure from the picture. Thanks @Sharpsman !

Many thanks to those who responded to my prior backpack question (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/approach-to-a-day-pack-hunt.178595/). We just secured rental of eBikes, so there is less need for me to take a pack with a frame to haul meat - as I can go back to camp to get that setup (MR Pintler).

Now I'm looking into a minimalist backpack to hold what I've figured out to be a pretty material amount of stuff (please - make cut suggestions to https://lighterpack.com/r/3tcnlz) - bow, 3L Hydrapak, glass (some still TBD), kill kit, trauma and emergency items, and some warmer clothing. I have a Horn Hunter G3 *Treestand* backpack that probably will do in a pinch, but it doesn't have a bladder pouch.

Open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

If you can find an Easton Bowhunter 2000 pack somewhere. It would be perfect for this.

While looking at the Kifaru 44 mag the inside storage compartments are almost identical. But there is a main bag and then another on the outside that has all of the individual storage with two water bottle pockets on the sides. It comes with a bow and gun holder and a rain cover.

I bought it from Cabelas about 3 years ago and discovered the next year when I wanted to get one for my son it was discontinued. It’s unfortunate because it is the best day pack I have used. I even packed out a quartered whitetail buck with it last winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
@Sharpsman pointed me to AGC. It would be pretty sweet if I could cut my list down and fit everything into the Stalker Hydration pack. Sent AGC a question about the capacity, and I know that I can add stuff to it as needed. Anyone use that pack?

Does anyone know if the AGC packs will clip into a Marsupial bino pouch?

mdf21

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find an Easton Bowhunter 2000 pack somewhere. It would be perfect for this.

While looking at the Kifaru 44 mag the inside storage compartments are almost identical. But there is a main bag and then another on the outside that has all of the individual storage with two water bottle pockets on the sides. It comes with a bow and gun holder and a rain cover.

I bought it from Cabelas about 3 years ago and discovered the next year when I wanted to get one for my son it was discontinued. It’s unfortunate because it is the best day pack I have used. I even packed out a quartered whitetail buck with it last winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually think I have one of those eastons laying around somewhere

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I actually think I have one of those eastons laying around somewhere

Awesome - let me get back to you. Think I may have an answer on whether the clips of the AGC Scout pack will fit on my existing Marsupial pouch. If so, I am very likely going that route. But thanks!

Awesome - let me get back to you. Think I may have an answer on whether the clips of the AGC Scout pack will fit on my existing Marsupial pouch. If so, I am very likely going that route. But thanks!

This is what the pack looks like.

I just picked up a Stone Glacier Serrac its 1700 ci has 2 compression straps , a light frame stay set and in the store I had it packed full of jackets and gear then strapped a 33" PSE to it and walked around it worked very good.
I am going to fill it up and try it with trek poles and My bow next couple days. it weighs only 2 lbs empty
and the shoulder straps adjust easy,

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I just picked up a Stone Glacier Serrac its 1700 ci has 2 compression straps , a light frame stay set and in the store I had it packed full of jackets and gear then strapped a 33" PSE to it and walked around it worked very good.
I am going to fill it up and try it with trek poles and My bow next couple days. it weighs only 2 lbs empty
and the shoulder straps adjust easy,

I received my AGC Scout pack (blazing speed on the delivery!) and plan to do the same this weekend - set out my stuff, take the obligatory "knolling" picture, and then see if it all fits. Fingers crossed.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I packed the following items inside the AGC Scout Backpack (see picture):
  • full 3L bladder (that came with the pack)
  • Ovis XL Kill Kit
  • Vortex 18x56 Kaibab binos
  • XL Puffy jacket
  • Sunglasses in hard case
  • Possibles in small Kifaru bag
  • Thermarest Z seat
There was still room at the top and in the front pocket for some snacks, etc. I was also able to tie my Summit SS-P Tripod to one side, a large bugle to the other, and my bow to the back. I'm trying out the Pintler tomorrow for comparison. The gut is exaggerated - I was pushing it out on purpose. :cool:
1596426364716.jpeg145E2752-1D3B-4CEB-8CC8-45C9D5949624_1_201_a.jpegA398C338-DA75-4ABA-82E1-704E3681CA43_1_201_a.jpegFB7BA88F-3191-41B3-AAE4-021E88B770C8_1_201_a.jpeg

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Ok - not sure if anyone is following, but wanted to complete this in case someone down the road is in a similar boat.

I packed the same items above into the MR Pintler - see pictures.

This is obviously not an apples-to-apples comparison, but here are my personal observations:
  1. The AGC Scout:
    • is just about right for what I *need*, with just a bit of room to spare in the top of the pack, and in the "drop down pouch".
    • is lighter - although I didn't weigh them (and the AGC quotes its weight as 2.8 lbs. including the bladder and attachments, while the Pintler is quoted as being 2.2 lbs. for just the bag, and not including the frame, which I think is another couple of pounds).
  2. The Pintler is:
    • too big for what I "need" - as there is a ton of leftover room in side the pack. I could have easily put the bugle and tripod inside the pack and still had room inside and outside. (No surprise here - the Pintler holds 41L and the Scout holds about 23L.)
    • heavier than what I really need
  3. HOWEVER -
    • I think if I had to pick, I'd go with carrying the Pintler with some extra room, especially because the frame lifts the pack up, putting the weight onto my hips. More importantly, it takes the back of the pack off of my back enough to allow more airflow. Wearing the Scout, even just in my basement, made me sweat because the pack is close to my body.
    • Best news: I think I can have my cake and eat it too. I'm going to see if I can pack both the Pintler and the Scout in my luggage, with the plan to use the Pintler and then when I inevitably shed gear (maybe we won't need the 18x binos and tripod, or I can make one of my buddies carry for a few days), I can switch to the Scout.
More than probably anyone wanted to know, but since so many chimed in, I wanted to close the loop. And I wanted to show off how much of my spare tire I've lost in a few days.... not.

DE489CAB-BD2B-4FCF-B3A4-18F1CB8CBE80_1_201_a.jpegF55C1948-F26A-4823-A781-F8B711FF4CBF_1_201_a.jpeg8E7D42DA-5589-400B-9E85-E9B1D163AD4D_1_201_a.jpeg7933ED3F-091F-4AEA-A8A0-4D2F570F3BA6_1_201_a.jpeg