Minimalist pack with rifle carry

Hi all,
First post, so I hope this ground has not been covered elsewhere. I am looking for a day pack with a reliable hands-free rifle and shotgun carry option, for relatively short (5-10 mile) day hunts for turkeys, deer, and elk in steep and brushy country with lots of logging slash (North Idaho). I sometimes use treking poles, and they just do not work with a rifle sling. Capacity should be 1000-1500 ci. Ability to pack out quarters not needed, but I would like to be able to strap on waders and boots or sheds on occasion. This is to replace an Eberlestock mini-me with a backscabbard, which is too short for my torso and does not carry well. The new pack needs to have at least a minimal frame, and a padded hip belt. Candidates so far are the Kifaru Door Gunner with a sherman pocket and the gun bearer, the Mystery Ranch pop-up 28, or possibly the Eberlestock X1A3. Any advice or suggestions welcomed.

I would vote for the Pop Up 28. I've had one for a couple of years now and it's a very capable little pack. It checks all your boxes and with it's slim, short profile, it won't be getting snagged on all the slash and brush you'll be moving through.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Had an Eberlestock X1 and X1A3. Both went down the road in favor of a Kuiu Ultra suspension and Pro 2300 pack and an MR Pintler. Have the Kuiu rifle carry attachment and a Kifaru gun bearer to mount on the MR. I found the pack sheet, even with the "frame" setup, didn't do much more than conform to my back and for the weight, provided no advantage over the other two I use.

Brendan

WKR
Definitely expensive, but a Kifaru 22" frame, Stryker, and gun bearer would work awesome. I use the 22 Mag instead of the Stryker, but that's what I use for my day hunts out west, all my whitetail hunting, tree stand bag, etc. If you're a bigger guy, 24 or 26" frame as needed and you have something that'd work for pretty much everything.

brsnow

WKR
I run a seek outside revolution frame with Merlin daypack. Just over 3lbs, but allows me to add universal gun bearer to carry rifle and pack out meat as well. Can change out to larger bag for longer trips. I would shy away from the pop up or at least wear one for a bit before purchase. Most uncomfortable pack I have owned.

Last edited:
As stated many times, peoples' bodies are all different. And when it comes to packs, what fits one person well, might be a horrible fit on another. You need to try them for yourself to see what works for you. My Pop Up is very comfortable,(maybe not as comfortable as my Guidelite MT frame), but the point is, don't make a decision based on that, or another user's unsatisfactory fitment experience.

It's a pain in the ass I know, but if you can't try them on locally, order online. Send back what doesn't fit and keep what you like.

I would vote for the Pop Up 28. I've had one for a couple of years now and it's a very capable little pack. It checks all your boxes and with it's slim, short profile, it won't be getting snagged on all the slash and brush you'll be moving through.
I was wondering about this. The pop up is at the top of my list in looking for a pack but I didn't know if the rifle carry was on par being it is not in the center of the pack.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the Doorgunner. Very high quality. I didnt like the shoulder straps, or the lack of a frame sheet. Thought it was too tall and skinny for a top loader. Kind of hard to root around inside of it. The composite stays were ok, but without a frame sheet, it didnt seem to hold its shape when practically empty.

Got a good price on a used HPG Umlindi. Shoulder harness is very comfy. Frame sheet with aluminum stay, that I bent to fit my back. 2 inches shorter, and a little wider than the Doorgunner, making rooting around inside that much easier. The compression strap system is the best I have seen for strapping stuff to the outside.

Hondo

WKR
Ditto on the Hill People Gear Umlindi. With the Prairie belt and Pack Bucket for rifle carry it should check all your boxes. Very comfortable and well built.

Here is a photo from the HPG website although the pack is sucked down.
f66938d7-d213-49ad-86f7-c892ec55686d_280.jpg

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to run the gunbearer on my Umlindi and prairie belt. Tried it around the house, and think I am going to like it.

OP
J
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. The HPG Umlindi and Stone Glacier Avail look way better for my application than the Kifaru Door Gunner.
Since I posted, I've been getting my gear ready for a 2-3 day backpack fishing trip, and I had a rethink about the hunting pack. My backpack is a huge old Dana Designs Arcflex Terraplane (5800 ci), made by the design team that turned into Mystery Ranch, and my go-to daypack for non-hunting hikes is a MR Coulee 25 (1500 ci). These are comfortable packs that fit me well, but I need something inbetween. MR has a bag-only option for the Mule (1400 ci), which fits on the Guide Light MT frame. Thinking of getting a MR Selway or Metcalf, and the Mule for day hunts to go onto the same frame. Anyone have experience using he Mule on the Guide Light MT frame for day hunts?

jmav58

WKR
I use the Nomad 2 from kifaru on a 26" frame I believe and a gun bearer. Like the heck out of it. With that Nomad, I can cinch it down so's theres not so much as hardly a bulge on that pack but if I were so inclined, I can put a camp bag between the wings and make it a multiday pack. I use it from antelope in early season to elk for general season in MT.