Minimalist set up

I'm new to western style hunting, only being on a one week semi DIY blacktail hunt on Kodiak. Before the hunt I purchased a Cabela's multi-day pack to carry day to day items (change of clothes, water, food, and a few misc items) with minimal investment... After hiking from camp to near the top of the surrounding mountains, I ended up ditching my pack and continuing with a dry pouch strapped to my bino harness. Needless to say it was heavy and started wearing me out even though i'm 26 and regularly work out. The real kicker was after I ditched the pack, I punched my tag about 1/2 mile away... you know where this is going..

If I were to purchase a frame from a premium pack brand, do I need a bag to have a meat shelf? Also, do you have any suggestions to keep things light yet have hauling power if meat needs to be packed out?

I was think a kifaru frame that can hold water, day hunting items, and meat if I am so lucky.

Thanks,

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a MR Selway 60 off BlackOvis for $325 and I took it out this morning for a hike and so far I really like it not a ton of pockets which I like and a big bag which will allow multiple days if need be and it has the meat shelf. Might be worth looking at since you can get the bag and frame for just about what your going to pay for a frame.

OP
MichHunter
Hmm Thank for your reply! It sounds like a good option. Im going to take a look online now

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We (Seek Outside) have a lot of packs in the minimalist category. We've got guys using Divide's (2 lbs 12 oz) to elk hunt with. A Revolution suspension paired with a Merlin is a great day rig that still has the easy ability to carry full quarters.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
I think alot depends on what style hunting you plan on doing? Are you thinking just day hunts with the possibility of a overnight? 3-5 days at a time? Or even 5-10? Do you have a budget in mind? I know when I bought mine I spent alot of time trying to figure out what worked best. I found Kifaru to be the most comfortable. I needed somthing for day hunts and extended trips. For me I prefer a meat shelf. Only because I feel more comfortable with the load as close to the frame as possible. This still gives me room to get most of my camp out at the same time.

As far as keeping your gear light when hauling meat that's alot of trial and error. Take what you think need to be comfortable and successful! Things can always be lighter but also sometimes weight is worth it. If you dont use somthing for a couple trips mabey you dont need it.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I could not be happier with my Seek Outside pack (peregrine with lid). It is light and comfortable and compresses down to nothing when unloaded, but will handle as much weight as I’m willing to haul.

Don’t forget about Stone Glacier’s offerings. Great light wt. frames with built in load shelves, many bags to choose from, very durable and well thought out, and second to non in customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes we have a lot of light options. I've had the GIla on packouts a few times and it's sub 3 lbs. If you really want I think you can get just the breakaway setup to be a functional pack out platform at under 2.5 lbs.

Drenalin

WKR
I strongly considered Initial Ascent's Day Pack for about what you're describing, but ultimately ended up with an EXO 3200. I added their crib load panel to my order with the intention of using it and the lid for quick day hunts, leaving the bag itself at home. With the crib load panel on an EXO, you don't need the bag to have a meat shelf, and I think most pack companies have something similar now so it becomes a personal preference and fit issue.

I've done several whitetail hunts and some hiking with the EXO so far, and haven't bothered to take the bag off yet because it compresses so well and is fairly tidy as-is. The bag weighs a little under 2 pounds, so I think with just the frame, crib load panel, and lid I'd be right at 3 pounds. I really like this setup, but haven't tried any of the other big pack manufacturers (Kifaru, SG, SO, MR) so can't make any informed comparisons. They each offer something that is worth taking a look at, IMO.

Mt Al

WKR
The options are mind boggling and you can't go wrong with any of them listed above. I also have the MR Selway with the guide light frame and really like it. However, I bet you can find lighter options if that's your priority. We're all spoiled rotten with all the awesome packs we get to choose from! Love it.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried several, and ended up with the Seek Outside. It is by far the best pack I have used for heavy loads. I have the Peregrine which is great for minimalist trips up to 4 days (bivy/tarp/quilt) or day hunts during cold weather. I still find myself wanting something slimmer at times and I think the Merlin/ Revolution might be ideal for warm weather day hunts. I find the load shelf very useful for pack outs.

2 thoughts: Focus on your gear selection but also consider mixing up your training / prep.

Lots of options on packs. I have experience with mystery ranch and a bit with kifaru. Have some seek outside stuff, not packs, but their gear is very impressive and their packs intrigue me. Stated weights are impressive for their hauling capability. I almost pulled the trigger on one last year.

In general, I would look at getting a meat hauler. MR nice frame or guide light are cheap now. You can pair that with a pack bag like a selway or Metcalf for $300 or so right now. They have a built in load sling and compact down well for daypack use. You could also go with a daypack size bag like the cabinet and use a dry bag to haul in your camp gear. Cabinet and frame is a very cheap option to buy in. They have a line called the pop up but they are better used for day hunters IMO.

Kifaru has similar offerings. Their packs are awesome and built like tanks. Their packs are a bit heavy and You pay a bit higher price for US made but they are worth it based on many who use them. I had a couple of their packs and frames but just find the MR frame fits me better. In fairness, I probably could have improved the kifaru fit by bending stays and tweaking it a bit but I got a deal on MR and went in another direction.

If you want to got cheap, their are some great options like a USMC Filbe on a mystery ranch NICE frame. I have one I keep as a loaner pack and it is a hell of a rig for less than $200 ($120 for frame and $60 for pack). It isn’t my first choice but I have carried heavy loads with far worse packs.

A quick note on training, you mentioned discomfort carrying your pack. This will happen, even if you are in good shape. There is no way to really train those specific pack hauling muscles (traps, back, hips, legs) in a way that duplicates hauling a load. You can improve overall fitness for sure, but to really hit those areas in the best way you have to train for packing. I don’t do monster miles but I will load up a pack between 40-70# and do some training hikes of 2-5 miles. I will do flat land close to the house or some mild to moderate terrain / trails if I can. If I had mountains nearby, I would use those too but again with modest mileage. Short hikes 1-2x per week for 4-8 weeks before your next trip will make all the difference in the world when you get on the trail.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Pretty happy with my Kuiu with meat hauler and hydration rig. I haven’t weighed yet but it should be well under 4 lbs (guessing closer to 3). Wanting to put an accessory pouch on bottom (like dry bag shown). Will haul meat and feels great. Only cost $300 too.

Attachments

• 271ECA05-1F43-468F-BDE4-3AC708744C72.jpeg
    271ECA05-1F43-468F-BDE4-3AC708744C72.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 15