Minimalist waist pack for tree stand

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Horn Hunter G3 Treestand backpack that is pretty good - for the right setup in the tree. But there isn't always a good place to hang that pack, and I also suffer from the law of capacity (if it can be stuffed in the pack, I will use all of the capacity). Yesterday I borrowed a buddy's Badlands small waist pack, and it was pretty close to perfect. I don't think they make it anymore, but the closest I could find is their Nano pack (I believe also discontinued) - which has a padding on the back that I may not need.

1. I want something to hold what I *need* that won't fit in my pants - water bottle, Thermacell (when needed), maybe my Descender descent device (until I get to the tree) and both a hand held flashlight and headlamp (although I might be able to stuff one or two of those into my bino pouch). I could possibly also put a knife, gloves and drag rope in there (there I go again with using up capacity).
  2. I don't want to use a smaller backpack, as I like the functionality of having the items available in my lap when I'm seated.
  3. I've thought of a simple non-hunting fanny pack, but I don't really want all of that stuff in a single zippered compartment. Plus - it can't be cool if it's not camo.
  4. I don't really want a harness or shoulder straps, as I've already got competing space (and opportunities for tangling) with my safety harness and Marsupial bino and RF chest rig. I have a duck hunting Cabela's belt/fanny pack, but it's designed to be worn with most of the pouches on the back, and I think it's overkill for what I'm seeking.

What are you all using that fits the above?

OXN939

WKR
I have a Horn Hunter G3 Treestand backpack that is pretty good - for the right setup in the tree. But there isn't always a good place to hang that pack, and I also suffer from the law of capacity (if it can be stuffed in the pack, I will use all of the capacity). Yesterday I borrowed a buddy's Badlands small waist pack, and it was pretty close to perfect. I don't think they make it anymore, but the closest I could find is their Nano pack (I believe also discontinued) - which has a padding on the back that I may not need.

1. I want something to hold what I *need* that won't fit in my pants - water bottle, Thermacell (when needed), maybe my Descender descent device (until I get to the tree) and both a hand held flashlight and headlamp (although I might be able to stuff one or two of those into my bino pouch). I could possibly also put a knife, gloves and drag rope in there (there I go again with using up capacity).
  2. I don't want to use a smaller backpack, as I like the functionality of having the items available in my lap when I'm seated.
  3. I've thought of a simple non-hunting fanny pack, but I don't really want all of that stuff in a single zippered compartment. Plus - it can't be cool if it's not camo.
  4. I don't really want a harness or shoulder straps, as I've already got competing space (and opportunities for tangling) with my safety harness and Marsupial bino and RF chest rig. I have a duck hunting Cabela's belt/fanny pack, but it's designed to be worn with most of the pouches on the back, and I think it's overkill for what I'm seeking.

What are you all using that fits the above?

Know you said no backpacks, but I use a forest green Osprey daylite. Its big enough for a water bottle, a snack or two, a layer and has a small pocket for items such as releases, charge tubes, primers etc. Clips right on to the upper half of my stand where everything is easily accessible and none of the ~15 highly pressured east coast whitetails I've killed while it's been there has noticed it.

Have you looked at the Push Quiver? Might be a little small, but it's designed to be used in a stand, except for actually holding broadhead equipped arrows.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Have you looked at the Push Quiver? Might be a little small, but it's designed to be used in a stand, except for actually holding broadhead equipped arrows.
Interesting. I had been thinking of more of a centered/crotch orientation, but maybe that works. A bit spendy ($125, belt extra), but I will look into it. Thanks

metau

FNG
I've been using a cheap, no frills one from BPS for a decade now. Bought some HD suspenders for it when chasing elk, but it's perfect without them for getting to and sitting in a treestand.

woodswise

FNG
Kifaru makes the Rogan, a relatively small fanny pack that can be worn across your waist in the front. Has three zippered compartments to separate gear. 2 inch belt holds it in place. Worth a look.

woodswise

FNG
By the way, a battle belt can be added to the Rogan for more support and capacity. And it's on sale now.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the continued input and replies. I recently started wearing a Dryden Killdeer in lieu of my HSS harness and the Killdeer is set up to make adding pouches convenient (within reason) for more than just the climbing and saddle needs.

woodswise

FNG
Do you find a need for the fanny pack functions while wearing the killdeer? The killdeer seems like a size and weight savings compared to other harnesses. How do you keep the items that won't go in your pants pockets?

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Do you find a need for the fanny pack functions while wearing the killdeer?
I’m still relatively new in switching from the HSS to the Killdeer. The most recent sit was in my Sitka Incinerator jacket and Fanatic bibs, so there were more pockets than I could fill. But I do have an extra pouch that would function as a fanny pack.
The killdeer seems like a size and weight savings compared to other harnesses.
I think you are right, but I’ve not compared weights. And I’m in the process of adding a rope climbing method, so comparing the two weights isn’t as relevant to me.
How do you keep the items that won't go in your pants pockets?
In the pouches, but I’m also trying to cut back on what I carry. This last sit I skipped binos, even my small Kowas. It was nice not to have the bino pack on my chest.

tracker12

WKR

What are you all using that fits the above?II
I have been using a Mountain Smith Tour Lumbar pack for 25 years now. Works great and carries everything I need. It don't need to be camo and come with a high price tag be effective.

Bbrinks

FNG
I’ve been using the Alpz Little Bear pack for turkey hunting, but it should work pretty well for what you’re looking for. It’s got pretty decent capacity and has shoulder straps that can be unclipped if you don’t need them as well

K_Wells

FNG
I have been using a Mountain Smith Tour Lumbar pack for 25 years now. Works great and carries everything I need. It don't need to be camo and come with a high price tag be effective.

I second the Mountainsmith Tour. You can add straps to it if you want and it has two water bottle holders. I use mine for hiking and fishing as sell. Sometimes it is also a diaper bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk