Minimalists--What clothes central ID, mid Oct.

freshta

WKR
Hey guys...I'm trying to pare down how much clothing I take with me this year. All my experience has been in Sept for elk. Headed out in mid Oct, central ID and wanna shave some weight. I know there are plenty of ounce counting experts on this forum. Can you help me out with some advice? I will be sleeping on a 5+R rated pad with a 20 degree quilt also.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Not creeping, but what do you mean when you say Central Idaho? What elevation and region are you talking about? Central Idaho in October could be uncomfortably hot in Riggins, snowing in the Frank, or lots of rain in the Clearwater.

Talked to some folks in a bar in Riggins when I was up there this spring about October weather and they told me at lower elevations(in town) it’s warm and beautiful, while up high it’s anyones guess. Could go from cold and wet/snowy to sunny and 70. I’m hoping to be fine with a medium base layer, heavy fleece, synthetic puffy, and a shell. Debating on whether I should pack a stove for the supertarp or not.

87TT

WKR
I've been in snow and howling wind above Riggins in October. So take it all and decide based on the forecast for the near future when you get there.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Two years ago in the Selway wilderness we got snowed out and left 6 days early. Barely made it out the 26 miles and as we dropped down from 7000 feet to 4000 feet we went from a blizzard snows, to heavy rain, to sunny skies and T shirt weather. This was September 20th.

There was also still snow on the cornices of the Seven Devils above Riggins two weekends ago.

Boardmstr

FNG
It can be tough to say. Last year mid to late Oct was unusually warm where I was in the Frank Church with daytime temps reaching mid 70’s a few times. More commonly the high has been in the 60’s and down to the 20’s and occasionally teens at night. I hunt 5,000-10,000’ and generally experience most days in the mid 50’s-mid 60’s, 1-2 days of rain/ snow falling throughout the last 2 weeks of Oct. There can be some nasty storms that rip through and 6-18” of snow accumulation sometimes sticks on the ground for quite a while up in the higher end of that range even a week after a storm passes through.

I sweat like crazy so I wear very light/breathable pants and T-shirt. Merino wool base layer bottoms and top to go under for early mornings. I carry a down jacket, fleece pajama pants and rain jacket/pants. Those fleece PJ pants are cheap, light and work awesome for quick added insulation if I’m glassing. I’ll wear the merino base layer top and bottoms with fleece PJ pants and beanie in my sleeping bag and have the option of throwing on the down jacket if needed to stay warm. The down is a northface summit L3 hoody. Expensive but worth every penny in my book.