minimum for BTX platform

Porkchop

FNG
I just ordered a BTX with 95mm objective. I am hoping to get it up into the mountains soon, but since I don't have it yet, I can only talk about it. I am a backpack hunter and hoped to get the BTX's into some of my favorite mountain spots but they may turn out to be too heavy. I do have a stubborn streak but time will tell cuz suffering has it's limits. I have a giant Bogen tripod that will work from the truck. I primarily use a outdoorsman tripod with the mini head that I use with swarovski 15x56 and Kowa 95mm spotter. I always sit when glassing.
So the big question... will I be able to use the outdoorsman tripod with the BTX?

Thanks

BBob

WKR
will I be able to use the outdoorsman tripod with the BTX?
I say yes. I use my OD tripod and OD pan head when I really want or need to save weight for longer hauls. I much prefer my RRS with an OD fluid head but hey sometimes you need to save some weight. I tried using the lighter Slik and Promaster with various heads but they weren’t stable enough for my tastes. I do know some that use those with BTX and are okay with it.

Oh, I have doubts on the mini head. My OD pan does fine and a VA-5 did a bit better. I haven’t used the mini so can’t say for sure but I’m skeptical it’ll handle it.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry, that was a yes an Outdoorsmans tripod will handle the BTX. The Jim White 2.0 head they have is not up to it though. That VA-5 handles my 95mm BTX perfect.

bpurtz

WKR
I have an OD fluid head on an OD standard tripod - the combo works great! I have the BTX balance trail, but imo it's not necessary for the combo.

The Outdoorsmans tripod will work just fine. When I had my BTX with the 95 it was stable as you'd expect. My tripod was the medium tripod and the Outdoorsmans panhead.

OP
Porkchop

Porkchop

FNG
I will know soon enough, I guess. I'll mount it up and see which tripod I have works. Maybe I get to spend more money on another toy. I'm single handedly holding off the Biden depression. hahaha