minimum post count for classifieds

littlebuf

Banned
this tends to keep free classifieds forums from being abused. ive seen a few guys on here with 1 post throw adds up and then never come back. one guy i pm'd and didint here back from for a week and a half, he didnt log on for the whole time and i havnt seen a second post. just a idea, helps keep the web site tidy

Shrek

WKR
I think it's a terrible idea. I've have run into this on other sites and I can tell you for certain that the members missed an opportunity to sell me an item I'm sure that some had left over from a rifle build and I couldn't sell them some parts I know they would want. I buy and sell on several sites that I have no interest in the main subject so my post count is in the single digits. What is the interest in prior restraint. There are always going to be a few bad apples . If someone is slow to get back with you it's no big deal to not do business with them and if you get ripped off then report it and file a postal fruad claim and move on. If you pay by PayPal gift then all I can say is " stupid is as stupid does".

trk3263

WKR
I have noticed the best way is to make sure you post in the thread that you sent a PM. Depending on how their settings are they may only get an email notification about the thread post and not the actual pm you sent.
I also am not a fan of the minimum count.

Sorry

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I do know that most of the people that post with an item to sell and only have a couple of posts often don't respond back or don't follow through. Rather than setting a limit, I think it is just prudent to PM them enough to gauge whether they are going to follow through. I drop out if a person selling takes forever to answer questions or gives one word or short answers. Been burnt a few times and this is a pattern with them. I don't favor post limits. But I do favor mods shutting people down that seem suspicious immediately and us as a team warning everyone when a deal goes bad.

• Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
for the record this has nothing to do with a personal vendeta against any one i tried to buy from. its just an observation ive made that if you set some standards on classifieds forums you end up with a little better forum. it weeds out the trolls (if you will) and venders. it was just a suggestion.

shaun

WKR
Agree with davenjax on this when I was offing a ton of stuff I ran into that at a few other sites and so I wrote those off. Yes it is somewat a safety measure but if you just do standard PayPal you are covered with purchases. Maybe put a cap on what people can sell till they are verified and keep a close eye on first post sales. To be honest I normally overlook first post sellers. Even first post buyers worry me as I had one on here with 2 posts try to question my credibility on an item I had up for sale I ended up ignoring him after 2nd or 3rd pm.

Hardstalk

WKR
The forum world isnt as large as the entire hunting spectrum. I have had buddies trying to sell an item and ill tell them "log on to such and such forum and post it there" some people just arent intrigued by forums. So they create an account just to sell something. If everyone keeps an eye out and kindly asks if they please post a phone number or personal email so the interested buyer can contact without hesitation it will make transactions alot smoother. I know of people in the stix who only use a computer when they "head into town"

Either way its usually a screamin deal for the buyer but there are ways to make the purchase confidently without the seller having 50 posts prior to selling an item.

Shrek

WKR
My personal policy is never send off more money than I can stand to lose. You can get some great deals but there is risk.