Minimum Requirements for Mechanicals

Couldnt find any prior posts, but is their a minimum poundage/speed/arrow weigh/draw length etc highly recommended before considering mechanical broad heads?

i am shooting 60#s currently at 29.5”draw. My hunting arrows come in +- 500 grs (29.25” arrows). Havent gotten to chrono that setup yet so unsure of speed.

For better accuracy was wanting to entertain trying mechanicals as i shoot a 1” four blade broad head currently. Ive also shot magnus stingers but i have had tuning issues (or i shoot shittier) with fixed broadheads past 50.

update: hunting whitetail and black bear

Somewhere there's a limit, I don't know where, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a quality mech with that setup. I have seen that poundage with shorter draw and lighter arrows run spitfires clean thru elk. Not saying that as a recommendation on an elk setup, just that for our whitetail and bear you will be fine.

I'd still recommend you try to figure out your issues with the fixed heads, even if ultimately you decide to go mechanical.

OP
540-Virginian
Somewhere there's a limit, I don't know where, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a quality mech with that setup. I have seen that poundage with shorter draw and lighter arrows run spitfires clean thru elk. Not saying that as a recommendation on an elk setup, just that for our whitetail and bear you will be fine.

I'd still recommend you try to figure out your issues with the fixed heads, even if ultimately you decide to go mechanical.

i think it was my form, ive had some coaching recently and am working on it. But i havent shot BH since last fall so it may be better this year.

i was putting a lot of face pressure on my string so getting muscle memory updated and conditioned in my shot cycle through practice now.

Northpark

WKR
That setup will drive most any quality mechanical through a deer or bear. I’m shooting 70lbs 29” draw with a 490gr arrow. I use 125gr sevr 2.0s and they’ve shot completely through a large like 350lb hog at 20 yards like he wasn’t even there. I consider hogs a pretty tough broadhead test.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
You’re draw length should be adequate for it to be a non issue. Most 30 inch plus guys with 65lbs or more could probably get a pass through with a field tip in reality. When I look at mechanicals I also try to choose them based on ability to penetrate if for some reason it fails to deploy.

Personally, strongly prefer shooting a fixed blade out of my compound. When I get a QAD Exodus tuned-in, they are boringly consistent. I’ve shot some mechanicals over the years and mostly they work fine and cut big holes, until one doesn’t and something goes wrong — then it usually goes dramatically wrong. Had very poor penetration using a Thorn on a Desert Muley a little over a year ago - certain it would have been a pass through with a fixed head. I’ve also had failures with Rocket, Rage, etc.

If set on using a mechanical, would recommend something with a tool steel or titanium ferrule and fairly thick blades. Deployment of a mechanical does have a minor impact on terminal penetration but if they work as designed your setup should be fine.

I have limited experience with mechs. I will recommend spitfire over rage or sevr. Those are the 3 I have shot.

I would also look at the grim reaper fatal steel, but I don't have personal experience with it.

Northpark

WKR
I’m a SEVR guy. Have also used rage but the sevrs were more accurate and I’m becoming convinced they are about as tough as a mechanical can be.

nphunter

WKR
I agree with the previous posts, you will be fine with that setup. I shoot a 70lb RX4 with a 28" draw and 500gr arrows and have zero issues blowing through elk with mechanicals. I personally like rear deploying heads like rage, g5, sevr to name a few. I've killed elk with dead meat and trypan in the last couple of years and both worked well. I think I will stick to the dead meat due to the rages breaking collars while dragging them through the brush and the fact that they will stay in the animal much better if I don't get a pass through.

I also have spitfires, grim reapers and some other G5 heads. I really feel like the flip-open design has the potential to contribute to more to deflections and loss of energy more than the blades that just slip backward on entry. I also agree with figuring out your tune or form issues, you want all the energy you can get to be transferred to the animal through the tip of the arrow and that happens with good arrow flight.

Dead Meats destroy targets pulling them, that is one advantage of the flip forward design, easy to pull and no sharp blades exposed when handling them. One negative to the blades that easily flip or slide forward is that if you don't get a pass through they can easily fall back out or be pulled out of the entrance hole in the animal. The Sevr and Dead Meat defiantly have an advantage in that department and the longer the arrow can stay in an animal the better, it will cause damage and keep the wound open as long as it is in the hole.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use NAP Spitfires, GR Fatal Steel's, and QAD Exodus heads.......all 125gr. I prefer 3-blade heads regardless whether fixed or mechanical.

OP
540-Virginian
I agree with the previous posts, you will be fine with that setup. I shoot a 70lb RX4 with a 28" draw and 500gr arrows and have zero issues blowing through elk with mechanicals. I personally like rear deploying heads like rage, g5, sevr to name a few. I've killed elk with dead meat and trypan in the last couple of years and both worked well. I think I will stick to the dead meat due to the rages breaking collars while dragging them through the brush and the fact that they will stay in the animal much better if I don't get a pass through.

I also have spitfires, grim reapers and some other G5 heads. I really feel like the flip-open design has the potential to contribute to more to deflections and loss of energy more than the blades that just slip backward on entry. I also agree with figuring out your tune or form issues, you want all the energy you can get to be transferred to the animal through the tip of the arrow and that happens with good arrow flight.

Dead Meats destroy targets pulling them, that is one advantage of the flip forward design, easy to pull and no sharp blades exposed when handling them. One negative to the blades that easily flip or slide forward is that if you don't get a pass through they can easily fall back out or be pulled out of the entrance hole in the animal. The Sevr and Dead Meat defiantly have an advantage in that department and the longer the arrow can stay in an animal the better, it will cause damage and keep the wound open as long as it is in the hole.
Thanks for that info... also interesting on wanting the arrow to stay in if it doesnt pass through. On saddlehunter forum (aka ranch fairy fanboy forum) they are arguing an arrow staying lodged in animal causes less blood loss as it applies pressure to wound. I dont buy that just calling out the difference as its funny.

Thanks for that info... also interesting on wanting the arrow to stay in if it doesnt pass through. On saddlehunter forum (aka ranch fairy fanboy forum) they are arguing an arrow staying lodged in animal causes less blood loss as it applies pressure to wound. I dont buy that just calling out the difference as its funny.
A pass through is almost always best. That way there is no guessing about penetration and both entry/exit wounds leave better blood trails. If I’ve made a good shot it is usually either a pass through or it is buried deep and stuck in the off-side shoulder bone.

Now there is always the exception of an arrow that didn’t pass through but buries deep. This can sometimes cause lethal damage on a marginal shot with the broadhead still cutting inside the animal as it moves, but don’t count on it.

i think youll like something like a sevr 1.5 or rage trypan or nap killzone (rear deploying with a swept back blade angle). imo the rear deplying gives you a giant entry meaning bigger bloodtrail and dead critters faster.

Beendare

WKR
There is no cutoff line where the less efficient BHs work or don’t work.
I’ve personally seen small rocket steel head broadheads on a 380 gr arrow kill multiple elk.... and I’ve seen the same arrow set up fail miserably.

We are shooting at a multiple density target (animals) So results will always vary.

There are general guidelines;

A heavier Arrow makes an inefficient Brodhead design perform better....in fact more arrow weight makes every BH perform better. The balance is always trajectory versus Arrow performance.

A very efficient Broadhead design, like a two blade, we will give you good Brodhead performance even with a low energy set up.

A Broadhead tipped arrow with a tiny wobble in flight decreases its performance significantly. Brodhead tuning your set up is a crucial factor no matter what Broadhead design you choose. An argument could be made that Brodhead tuning is even more important with the less efficient mechanical BH designs.

Then there is the fact that an arrow shot from a bow is an incredibly efficient killer If placed in the right spot

Last edited: