Minimum size for a grinder

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its mostly about efficiency.
But I've gone thru a couple of the little $75 dollar ones.
It took 2 grinders and like 3-4 hours just to do the grind of a spike bull.
Imo it's like glass buy the most expensive you can afford. You'll never wish you had less.
In the cabelas ones I'd probably buy the one with the next bigger throat/plate.
You'll know what I'm taking about when you see them.
Is Kristy still with cabelas? Maybe she could scoop one up for a deal for ya???

Great to know, thanks. Hopefully they have them on display.

Haha well actually we’re with Cabelas as well so we do get a little price break on their products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sewall

Lil-Rokslider
I would get as big as you can afford. You will still probably wish you went with a bigger one after that. The faster you can get through the grind the better as everything will stay cooler and that is key when it comes to meat processing. If you spend some extra on a good quality grinder it will definitely pay for itself quick because as you know meat processors definitely don’t do that shit for free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Benge

FNG
I have a 1 hp Cabela's meat grinder and the on/off switch went out...anyone know where I can get replacement parts?

I have a 1 hp Cabela's meat grinder and the on/off switch went out...anyone know where I can get replacement parts?

Kill the switch out and see if theres any numbers on it. And Google.
I did this for a gas fireplace that was acting up and found it rite away. Basically there only a few different appliance rocker switches. And home depot had it.

manitou1

WKR
A footswitch is the ticket. You have MUCH more control, especially if grindi g by yourself. I keeps the neck/auger from heating up too... which is an inherent problem with grinders running continuously.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm the odd guy out but I've had this grinder for 15 years and it seen it's share of meat. Was less than a $100 and just keeps going. It's ground a elk deer antelope and buffalo just this year. Other than having to cut chunks small enough to fit in it's plenty fast enough for me. I've even used it to stuff brats.
4a5d24367bf25f6f4a268d442b614388.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 3/4 hp Cabelas Carnivore that I bought on an incredible deal on last year, if the deal would have been for the 1hp I would have chosen the bigger of the two. I process 6-8 whitetails every year and the 3/4 is more than enough for needs. As others have said, the biggest limiting factor in the larger grinders is that you cannot feed them fast enough. I would get the biggest one you can afford / move around your home easily, the 3/4 weighs in at 50+ lbs.

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the 1/2 HP from Cabelas and yes I wish it was 1 HP or larger at times BUT it is so easy to clean that I find myself using a lot for other grinds not just game. Not sure I would use the bigger models near as much.

Ray Benge

FNG
the switch itself does not have a number on it. We live in rural WY and could not find anyone who carried it. It is now with an electrician friend who is going to try and bypass it and we'll get the foot petal. Thanks for the help

tdot

WKR
I have a big LEM.... I think 1hp.

My brother bought a Stainless grinder for his Kitchenaid.

Both systems have merit, but I like his a lot more then I expected, Freeze everything in chunks, and grind what you need that day. Simple, fast, easier to mix on different ingredients to play with new recipes. If I had to do it again, I'm not sure what I would choose.

I just bought a grinder that only comes with a 3/8" and 3/16" plates. Has anyone found that they are wanting the medium grind 1/4" plate too or are those first two enough?

DroptineDC18

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t had a need for 1/4 plate. I think you’ll be fine. Grind course then fine if you need to.

MHB

FNG
Generally for venison (elk deer, etc.) I use the 3/16 for all my burger. If I am making chicken or pork sausage I like a meater bite and use the 3/8. I really haven't found the need to double grind any of the products I make yet.

<edit> To answer the OP questions . I have a 3/4 grinder and wish I had purchased the 1HP grinder. As mentioned above you will have a little more waste on the larger grinder but you will cut your processing time because you don't have to cut the chunks as small.