Mining for bitcoin?

Good morning! Any members here set up for mining bitcoin? This is something I have been looking into and I am looking for pros, cons, information resources, etc. I have been looking on Google but it would be nice to hear some from some actual people who are mining bitcoin. Thanks!

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
A friend of mine mines for crypto but not bitcoin. The different miners have different computing power. Like you'd expect, the more powerful the miner the more it will cost. They also use a lot of electricity. The other factor in the cost of the miner is the value of the crypto it can mine. The miners are in hi demand so like ammo they are selling for higher prices than normal. You need to find out the crypto the particular miner can mine (there are many) and the value of what they can mine a day/week/month. Subtract the expected electrical costs and you can get a net number based on the current value of the crypto you want to mine. Remember the value fluctuates. So if the value goes up so does your earnings but it can go down as well. The miners are pretty expensive. I've seen them from $1,000 to $70,000. Check out this link for more info.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I personally know absolutely nothing about computers, but from numerous people I've talked to that are very knowledgeable in the space, it would be very hard to get to break even with BTC mining. You gotta remember you are going up against literally warehouses full of thousands of miners spread around the world. And from what I understand, an ASIC miner is the bare minimum just to break even on energy.

Now you may be able to mine other things with that miner, so hopefully you can get some feedback on that. I have a couple helium miners. They are great IF you can put them in an area with high traffic. So it would be useless at my house, but it's awesome at my downtown office. Akash miners are another good project to look into. I'm still waiting on my Akash supermini, but it's worth looking into.

Another option is just buying yield processing nodes. I purchased a Gala node last spring and that was one of the smartest things I've done. https://app.gala.games/nodes/founders-node/buy That thing is a money making machine. I purchased a RING node a week or two ago and it's already paid for itself. I've taken out my initial investment and now I will use the rewards to keep buying more nodes. It's currently making about $85 per day, last week it was making me closer to $250 per day. https://www.ring.financial/ There are several more projects to be involved in, but those are just the ones I'm in for now that have been outstanding.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Yes but first why did you pick bitcoin? At this point imo you would be better off mining either ethereum or other alt coin.

I don’t have time at the moment to elaborate but can later.
I know miners. The trend is to Proof of Stake rather than Proof of Work. Proof of Work is very energy intensive. Proof of Stake is where a transaction is taking place and you are asked if you think that transaction is valid. If you say yes and is valid then you get a slice of that coin. If you are wrong, you lose the coins you staked as incorrectly said was valid. One wrong declaration can erase many, many slices.

Most Proof of Work miners with a handful of machines in the home did not make money from mining once calculated energy paid for (one guy turned off his heater in winter due to the heat created from the machines churning 24/7), how fast the machines go obsolete, you pay tax as mine not when sell, etc. Now, I know miners that made money with bitcoin and etherum but was from holding the coins post-mining then seeing the value of the coin go up as held. No need to mine a coin to hold in hopes goes up in value.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
VERY SMART engineer friend has done it for more than a decade (lucky!).
He has ALWAYS advocated joining <what I would call> a Co-op, where you join with a whole bunch of folks and pool your resources online, somehow. If 1 co-op member hits, everyone shares in that, albeit small amounts. The chances of you hitting anything at all alone with your own extremely limited resources is very slim to none. Expect your electrici.ty costs to skyrocket.

OP
180splitg3
Yes but first why did you pick bitcoin? At this point imo you would be better off mining either ethereum or other alt coin.

I don’t have time at the moment to elaborate but can later.
I am just starting to look at options and I am open to any other suggestions. Crypto currency in general is something I am interested in learning more about...

IdahoElk

WKR
I have a question, what are these computers actually computing that you need a warehouse full of them?

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
There is so much I could write here but I'll touch on a few things for now. If you have specific questions, ask or PM me.

So as has been said, mining is very energy intensive. Bitcoin is the worst and you can expect a significant portion of what you "earn" to go to your electric bill. Any ASIC actually doing anything is using 3000W per hour. For me that's $8.00 per day in electricity. Adds up quick. The ASIC machines are pricey (but what isnt?) When calculating the ROI its likely going to be around 200-300 days with whatever you mine with. Obviously that's at a consistent price and crypto has wild swings. So mine something you think will continue to increase in price long term or mine some lottery tickets. I do both. Again risky, so don't use your mortgage payment to buy computer parts.

You generally are not going to mine solo (coin depending) but rather join a pool. This will give you a consistent payout rather than mining for a lottery ticket by yourself.

If it was me just starting out, I'd start watching eBay for deals on GPU's.

Are you looking to hold what you mine long term or plan to cash it in immediately?

Digital currency is the future. Whether its bitcoin, eth, or something else is still to be determined,

fmyth

WKR
Good morning! Any members here set up for mining bitcoin? This is something I have been looking into and I am looking for pros, cons, information resources, etc. I have been looking on Google but it would be nice to hear some from some actual people who are mining bitcoin. Thanks!
Here's a good resource to learn about BTC mining:

My son is in the industry and after much research I decided to invest in crypto instead of mine.

Reddit and youtube have a lot of good resources but it's very easy to get lost in the weeds. I built a rig last month and have been mining raven coin with a gpu mining rig. Sebs fintech channel is a good source on YouTube

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a question, what are these computers actually computing that you need a warehouse full of them?
I'm clearly no expert but at a high level I believe that the number crunching the complicated algorithms have to do take a tremendous amount of computing power and electricity.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
They are mining money. You don't "need" a warehouse full of them. Each miner consumes electricity, produces a lot of heat that must be mitigated and produces a small daily revenue. Here are some rough numbers but remember they vary depending upon many factors including the cost of electricity and the current value of the "coin" you are mining. These numbers are from Compass Mining. They sell miners and miner hosting where you buy the machine and they set it up and run it for you. The newest ASICS Ant Miners are going for around $10,000 to15,000 if you can find one. The price of miners moves with the value of Bitcoin. The newest Antminer will typically earn just under $30 a day. Subtract your $8 (depends on how much you pay for electricity) of direct power consumption and your left with $22 a day. That means if your miner is up and running 24/7 it could take you up to 681 days to recoup your investment. Miners do need maintenance, cleaning and repairs and down time can be significant. The reason you hear about warehouses full of miners is that it is a scalable business. Several of these mega miners are in Texas because of its cheap cost of electricity. The less you pay per KW the more profit you make. There are over a dozen publicly traded bitcoin mining companies. One has a market cap of 791M. These companies raise money, buy miners, run the mining operation but aren't selling their BTC. They instead hold them and borrow against them to run their businesses. Riot, for instance, spent $651 million to acquire mining assets in Rockdale and plans to spend $160 million on the infrastructure build out. Marathon recently raised $650 million. The big players are dominating the market and make it hard for an individual to make money. Last year Marathon ordered 70,000 new miners. That kind of makes it hard for an individual to buy one.

Copy/pasted from Compass:

"Bitcoin mining is the process of recording transactions on the Bitcoin network. To do this, miners compete against each other to solve a difficult puzzle that resets every 10 minutes. Winning miners are awarded a predetermined amount of bitcoin for their success after each interval.

Miners provide a service.​

Miners add batches of transactions to the blockchain, which is akin to making entries in an accounting ledger anyone can look at. These transactions have been verified by other network participants and sit in a holding depot of sorts called a memory pool (or “mempool”). From the mempool, miners take transactions and package them in blocks.
Mining is the process of adding those blocks to the chain. For this service, miners are paid a fee for each transaction and a set reward for creating the next block in the chain.
Read: How do miners make money?

Mining is a hashing race.​

The technical details of bitcoin mining are extensive, but at its most basic elements, mining is a race to reveal encrypted data. The data hidden in the puzzle miners need to learn is a randomly generated string of numbers called a nonce.
Each block’s nonce is encrypted as a hash, or an algorithmically generated string of letters and numbers that is impossible to decode. Mining is a game built around guessing what the unknown nonce is, and the rules are simple: be the first miner to guess correctly.
Learn more about nonces.
Because miners cannot simply “unlock” the hash to learn the nonce, they must generate random nonces of their own, hash them, and compare their hashes to the unknown nonce’s hash.
Finding a matching hash to a block’s public one means the miner has also generated an identical hash. When matching hashes are generated, the new block is added to the blockchain and the winning miner claims their reward. So, to earn bitcoins, miners make new guesses at the encrypted nonce over and over as fast as possible.
Bitcoin’s hashrate serves as an estimate of how much computational activity is spent on this game."

But to what end? What purpose does it serve? That’s what I struggle with understanding.
Miners serve the purpose of facilitating transactions. By way of (imperfect) analogy, miners play the cryptocurrency-equivalent role of dollar-denominated transfer services and payment processors like ACH, wire transfer, credit card, PayPal, etc.