Minnesota wolf tracking

WCB

WKR
View attachment 435449
The success rate is kind of BS beings this was a quota hunt and you had to monitor the daily harvest to see if the season was still open or not and there were a lot of anti-wolf hunting advocates that were successful drawing licenses.
Yep...and all the guys that got a tag that would just "shoot one if I see one deer hunting" Avg MN deer hunter hunts what 1.5 days more than likely 9 or 10 hours total. Since the factor that in on quota type hunts or even limited draw hunts...I'm fine with the skewed success rate. Means they will allow more tags than if 50% were successful and they killed way above quota.

I would say that the 2 years we had a season the largest percentage of the harvest was from "opportunistic " deer hunters with few actually targeting wolves vs trappers who were

What did the guys in Wisconsin get? Over 200 in 3 days? That tells the story.
Its interesting that they finally have to acknowledge the impact the wolves have had on the Moose population, they've been trying to blame that on brainworm and climate change for years. You'd think you should be able to prosecute state game agency's for manipulating the "Science" they're getting paid to do. And by manipulating I mean omitting the data that's been collected that might undermine the narrative they're trying to establish.
The part in this "fact sheet" that talks about reducing hunter opportunity in order to take pressure off of moose and deer populations is pretty concerning.

Interesting story: 1981 I was doing winter combat/survival training at Camp Ripley in MN. We were on cross country ski patrol pulling a loaded down Akio and it was my turn to be point man on the harness. All of a sudden, half a dozen deer came bounding out of the forrest about 20 yards ahead and ran across the road in front of us and into the forrest and never even looked at us. We stopped to look at the deer and I knew something was not right. Within 30 seconds a pack of wolves came bounding out of the same forrest hot on the trail of the deer and didn't look at us either. I can see visualize that moment and consider myself lucky to have witnessed it.

Thats a pretty cool study though, my cabin is right there on Kabetogama, although I've seen a few wolves over the years, I didnt think there were so many around that area, figured they were more east.

Yeah when we think of wolves its of a woods of boreal appearance ( far northeastern mn) , but I would guess there are more wolves moving west where there are higher numbers of deer with moose numbers decimated. Go where the groceries are at. I have friends who regularly see them on trail cameras who live where Prarie meets pines in western mn

Scottyboy

WKR
Yeah when we think of wolves its of a woods of boreal appearance ( far northeastern mn) , but I would guess there are more wolves moving west where there are higher numbers of deer with moose numbers decimated. Go where the groceries are at. I have friends who regularly see them on trail cameras who live where Prarie meets pines in western mn
I have a buddy who caught them on a trail camera near Parkers Prarie (a little north of Alex)

WCB

WKR
I have a buddy who caught them on a trail camera near Parkers Prarie (a little north of Alex)
There is a small pack that has been hanging around between Long Prairie and Osakis for a couple years now in the late fall through winter. From trail cam pictures it appears to be 4 or 5. We have a cabin on Osakis and hunting land 1/2 way to Long Prairie.

What did the guys in Wisconsin get? Over 200 in 3 days? That tells the story.
Its interesting that they finally have to acknowledge the impact the wolves have had on the Moose population, they've been trying to blame that on brainworm and climate change for years. You'd think you should be able to prosecute state game agency's for manipulating the "Science" they're getting paid to do. And by manipulating I mean omitting the data that's been collected that might undermine the narrative they're trying to establish.
The part in this "fact sheet" that talks about reducing hunter opportunity in order to take pressure off of moose and deer populations is pretty concerning.

They occasionally admit it but frequently downplay it. The new wolf management plan released sure as **** downplays wolf impacts on moose and that will be part of my comments (due 8/8/22 BTW so be sure to contribute!) to them.

Its interesting that they finally have to acknowledge the impact the wolves have had on the Moose population
The moose situation is another can of worms that has been completely botched by the MN DNR. No season since 2013 for residents and tribal members but since 2016 the three Ojibwe tribes have been able to harvest 30-50 bulls each year for cultural reasons all while the MN DNR says this tribal hunt does NOT affect the population. These tribal hunts wouldn't piss me off so much but the tribes blast state officials every time a wolf hunting/trapping season is brought up because the wolf is considered their ancient brother. They want to continue hunting Moose all while advocating against wolf management and the #1 cause of moose calf mortality is wolf predation.

Another interesting topic was the Island Royale National Park relocating wolves from Minnesota, Michigan & Ontario to help contain the growing moose population. Pretty interesting considering the MN DNR regularly denies that wolves affect the moose population.

49ereric

WKR

The moose situation is another can of worms that has been completely botched by the MN DNR. No season since 2013 for residents and tribal members but since 2016 the three Ojibwe tribes have been able to harvest 30-50 bulls each year for cultural reasons all while the MN DNR says this tribal hunt does NOT affect the population. These tribal hunts wouldn't piss me off so much but the tribes blast state officials every time a wolf hunting/trapping season is brought up because the wolf is considered their ancient brother. They want to continue hunting Moose all while advocating against wolf management and the #1 cause of moose calf mortality is wolf predation.

Another interesting topic was the Island Royale National Park relocating wolves from Minnesota, Michigan & Ontario to help contain the growing moose population. Pretty interesting considering the MN DNR regularly denies that wolves affect the moose population.
Understanding the Anishinabe Ojibwa culture is difficult when you were not raised with it.
I would not ask you to do things against any cultural belief you have.
Tribes-Ojibwa Bans have sovereignty and treaty rights so they will act accordingly despite what non tribal members think.
you don’t have to agree with the bans cultural beliefs but they have the right.

WCB

WKR
Understanding the Anishinabe Ojibwa culture is difficult when you were not raised with it.
I would not ask you to do things against any cultural belief you have.
Tribes-Ojibwa Bans have sovereignty and treaty rights so they will act accordingly despite what non tribal members think.
you don’t have to agree with the bans cultural beliefs but they have the right.
Nobody is asking them to shoot wolves...he is pointing out the hypocrisy (which is done to all religions/beliefs and is his right)

Where they have control (on reservation) don't have a season and don't kill wolves...fine by me. Off of the reservation where and when the state is in charge of wildlife management it should not be the tribes say and they should understand that they could be cutting off their noses. And again nobody is asking them to participate in the hunt.

49ereric

WKR
Nobody is asking them to shoot wolves...he is pointing out the hypocrisy (which is done to all religions/beliefs and is his right)

Where they have control (on reservation) don't have a season and don't kill wolves...fine by me. Off of the reservation where and when the state is in charge of wildlife management it should not be the tribes say and they should understand that they could be cutting off their noses. And again nobody is asking them to participate in the hunt.
Tribes do have some say in the 1837 treaty area and the other treaties areas as well. They never relinquished their rights despite relocating to Reservations.
To understanding the situation you need facts.

WCB

WKR
Tribes do have some say in the 1837 treaty area and the other treaties areas as well. They never relinquished their rights despite relocating to Reservations.
To understanding the situation you need facts.
Not sure where in the single sentence of the 1837 treaty regarding hunting, fishing, and Wild Rice harvest it says anything that they have a say in the overall management of the game and laws/restriction of non-tribe members.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen triple digit wolves while in the woods near this mapped area. There is wolves established all over the state, even had one in my back yard in Detroit Lakes (technically in city limits).

I’ve seen triple digit wolves while in the woods near this mapped area. There is wolves established all over the state, even had one in my back yard in Detroit Lakes (technically in city limits).
I've also heard there's been a massive uptick in cougar sightings around the soo pass ranch this week