Minus33 vs First lite merino

I am looking for a pair of zip off merino bottoms. Both minus33 and First lite make what I'm looking for in a weight and style I'm looking for. I currently use minus33 base layers and am happy with the durability and feel of the wool. Anyone used both and can tell me if one is drastically better than the other? Price is pretty much the same. Welcome to suggestions of other brands too if they make a heavy merino zip off bottom in 3/4 length.

Drenalin

WKR
I've used both and prefer the Minus33, even though it makes my nipples itch. I've had better durability out of it than the First Lite I've used. The differences aren't huge between the two, but the small advantages go to Minus33 in my opinion.

Another vote for minus33. My first lite zip offs and a puffy for my wife are the only FL pieces i have and both had issues within 2 weeks of just wearing around town. Main zipper broke on the puffy and some crotch stiching came undone on the zip offs, they replaced them when i called but still not ideal. I really baby the FL zip offs now and i absolutely HATE that the zippers ends on the bottom(irritating if your socks arent tall enough and zipper is touching skin sometimes)and they never stays shut all the way cause i dont have scrawny calves. Just wish minus33 made some lighter weight ones too

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I strongly prefer minus 33. Have tried most and It is the best I have found as far as durability and comfort. Even their really thin woolverino shirts have lasted me a while. I do think it helps durability for merino in general to hang dry it and not put it in the dryer regardless of brand.

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone post up some American made merino wool? I already have duckwworth.

Attachments

• ECC0C746-3653-494C-B2D9-F1D8E0DC2DBF.jpeg
    ECC0C746-3653-494C-B2D9-F1D8E0DC2DBF.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 44
Can anyone comment on how the Minus33 Expedition weight (400 grams) compares to the First Lite Furnace (350 grams)? I'm thinking about adding one or the other for the very cold =<mid-20s sits in a tree stand next year.

I switched from FL to M33 about a year ago. For now it’s just base layer tops, no bottoms. They seem to be holding up better through extended use and washings. I have some mid and heavier weight tops coming and I am looking forward to trying those pieces out as well.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and really like the feel fit of the FL but Minus33 seems to do a better job at keeping me warm and dry. One thing is the FL will handle the dryer on low heat but the M33 definitely shrunk a size so be careful with any heat.

Hondo

WKR
First Lite is better in my experience. I've had 2 Minus33 base layers that have mysteriously developed holes. I carefully store and maintain my gear and do not believe the holes were from moths or brush punctures. They were very comfortable but so are my First Lite merino without the holes issue. Had the same thing happen with Terramar before. My Minus33 socks, beanie and gloves are still holding up fine.