Mirrorless VS Point n shoot

gobears16

FNG
Hi everyone, I am really wanting to capture more of my hunting trips by taking better still photos. I have an iPhone X, which does okay, but after following a lot of hunting photographers on Instagram and seeing their high quality I want to upgrade.

after doing research for the better part of a week I’m finding myself even more confused at all the options. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

I do a lot of western big game and waterfowl hunting. Looking to take pictures of scenery and my hunting partners. I don’t believe I’ll need super zoom as I can attach my phone to my spotting scope for wildlife and kill shots.

the cameras I’ve been looking at are the Olympus edm 10 mark ii for Mirrorless (which lenses would you go with) and then the Sony RX100 IV. Are there others that would s

my budget is 500-800.

The mirrorless will always give you a better picture then a point and shoot in this price range. The camera you chose is on it's way out, replaced by the E-M10 Mark 3, with 4k, mike jack, newer processor with improved low light shooting, faster af and an even better 5 axis image stabilization built in.
Normally the camera with the 14-42 and the 40-150 would be $699.99. For members here we will do it for $649.99. The best bet would be, slightly above your budget, the E-M5 Mark 2. The camera and the 14-150 lens that comes with it are both weatherproof. Normally $999.99, would be $929.99. With 1 lens that does it all, 35mm equivelant of 28-300, plus weatherproof it is our #1 option under $1000 for the outdoorsman.
I am in m-f 9-6 and Saturday 10-5:30. Feel free to call me with any questions

The Mark III is one of the best cameras ever made. If you need any glass call me and mention Rokslide. Always will hook you up

OP
G

gobears16

FNG
thank you for clarifying. it sounds like the Olympus OM-5 ii with the 14-150 is the way to go to get started. what's another lens I should pick up for using around camp or duck blind?

The 14-150 has wide thru telephoto. Why don't you give me a call tomorrow at the store to discuss. I am in from 8-6 at 516-217-1000

Thanks
Joel

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I’d get a point and shoot. I have a DSLR that I wanted to bring on my hunts, and I quickly found that it’s much bigger than I want to carry. Fortunately that wasn’t the driving factor in buying it. I now only carry point and shoots. I’m happy with the pics I get.

OP
G

gobears16

FNG
The 14-150 has wide thru telephoto. Why don't you give me a call tomorrow at the store to discuss. I am in from 8-6 at 516-217-1000

Thanks
Joel

I’ll give you a call and discuss!! Thank you for all the advice

I am also in the market for a nice backpacking hunting camera. I am wondering what the degree of weatherproofing these cameras have. I also do a lot of kayak fishing and would like to use the camera for that too. Is there any waterproofing cases for the mirrorless cameras?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to look at the whole picture. Both the lens and the camera need to be weatherproof. The Olympus E-m5 and E-M1 Mk 2, 3 and 1X are all weatherproof and the majority of their lenses. The E-M5 kits are all weatherproof kits. Sony full frame A73, A7R4 and A9 are weatherproof and most of their full frame lenses are.
Olympus also makes the compact TG6 point and shoot that can go 50' underwater, crush proof, drop proof and can work down to 14 degrees

Stalker69

WKR
Wow for fishing ( boat, kayak) that TG6 looks great. I wish I had one of those when we went snorkeling in Mexico. I didn’t realize they made an affordable camera that would work under water.

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I ran across this article a while back and switched to P&S's. They sometimes are bit heavier but honestly they are more compact and I don't have to carry a camera bag full of lenses, etc. The only downside I am having now is how to get one of these puppies to work with a scope adapter. Due to the collapsing nature of the lens structure I can't seem to find one. I may revert to my phone for recording video through a scope.

Stalker69

WKR
With the super zooms I can’t see a reason to mount it to a scope. More magnification then many scopes offer.