Misfire in Kimber 84M

JOC Fan

FNG
I have had two Kimber 84M that have misfired on the bench and in the field. I believe the firing spring is too weak. Anyone else faced the same issue?

To fix it, I had my gunsmith insert a small ring behind the spring which compressed it and made it shorter, hence stiffer.

I am not sure why Kimber has not acknowledged this issue.

mmac

WKR
Not sure what year your Kimbers are, but I had one do the same thing. It was purchased around 2012. I sent it to them and they were great about it and said it was the firing pin. Rifle shoots great though and solved the problem.

mmac

WKR
I understood the model, mine was as well. Was saying the manufacturing year as the older ones, around the time I got mine, seemed to have more of these issues than the current ones.

OP
JOC Fan

JOC Fan

FNG
I understood the model, mine was as well. Was saying the manufacturing year as the older ones, around the time I got mine, seemed to have more of these issues than the current ones.
Have to look up the SN and call Kimber but mid 2000's for sure.

ldmay375

FNG
I have had two Kimber 84M that have misfired on the bench and in the field. I believe the firing spring is too weak. Anyone else faced the same issue?

To fix it, I had my gunsmith insert a small ring behind the spring which compressed it and made it shorter, hence stiffer.

I am not sure why Kimber has not acknowledged this issue.
Luckily, I have not had that issue on 2ea 8400 and 1ea 84M. They are pretty early models.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes I feel old around here...

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used 84l that ftf more often then not. I pulled the firing pin out and it was bent. Kimber replaced it and I haven’t had an issue since. Wolf makes aftermarket springs for those rifles as well.

I had this issue with one of my 84M Montanas just this past spring. I called Kimber. They act dumb, like it's the first time they're hearing about this issue. Funny enough, they offer to send out a stiffer spring to correct your problem for about 10 or 12 bucks. They will not send it free of charge to correct their manufacturing issue.

It's easy enough to replace yourself if you're fairly handy. There's a procedure to relax the bolt. Youtube is your friend here. You can PM me and I'll try to help you as much as I can with what I remember.