Missed a big one. Hard to swallow.

Last night I missed what would have been my biggest whitetail ever. Public land, nothing special about the conditions and mostly hoping to shoot a doe from this spot. 10 minutes after sunset out steps Mr Big. He looked like a heavy, clean 8pt around 19-20in wide. Steps into my shooing lane at 12 or so yards, about to hit ground scent...shot feels perfect. He reacts like a hit, but then stops 30 yards away and starts walking like nothing happened. I go check the arrow, no blood or meat. Some shaved off hair on the ground. Must have grazed him under the chest. This is the lowest hunting low I’ve ever experienced. I loved hunting with a stickbow but this time I would much rather that buck be dead...the struggle is real with the struggle stick ☹️

Pepe55

FNG
That's hunting, the good thing about it is you didn't really spook him. Let the site rest then when the wind is right, go get him!

KHNC

WKR
Sorry man. I am shocked i dont read these type posts every single today from stick bow users. Me and my compound will die together. lol

Got nothing but sympathy for how you feel today. Missing a big one will do that to a guy....but especially when there are so many easier ways to get the kill. All I can say is that I truthfully know exactly how you feel at this moment. I've been there a bunch of times. Take this for what it's worth:

On a morning hunt I once missed the largest deer I'd ever taken a shot at....a true B&C candidate with room to spare. My friend told me to clear my head of all the trash and self-doubt, which would only erode my confidence and skills. That evening I hunted, and I killed the biggest whitetail I've ever taken. It was a perfect (yes I said the P word) shot with a cedar arrow and 65# recurve. I wasn't thinking about anything but getting a clean shot. 5 drop times and a 27" outside spread....a true freak.

My advice....throw off the doubts. Get determined and keep hunting. Lightning does strike twice.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's a consequence of the decision that was made when you picked up that weapon. You have to be able to accept that when making that decision. If you aren't willing to accept these outcomes, then it's probably time to change. That's one reason why I haven't even tried traditional yet, I'm not willing to sacrifice accuracy, consistency, or pass up opportunities that are chip shots with the compound. But we live and die with our decisions........press on.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
That's a consequence of the decision that was made when you picked up that weapon. You have to be able to accept that when making that decision. If you aren't willing to accept these outcomes, then it's probably time to change. That's one reason why I haven't even tried traditional yet, I'm not willing to sacrifice accuracy, consistency, or pass up opportunities that are chip shots with the compound. But we live and die with our decisions........press on.
Not sure he was after the lecture. But "Press On" seems like a good reply, sorry just my 2.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I still feel the sting of misses on big deer from 25 years ago. The only upside, I truly believe these misses make us better shots. They make us really focus in the moment and make sure everything is right before we pull the trigger the next time. At least it did for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the OP I shot under the biggest 10 point I've shot at with my recurve three years ago. It came after killing some big 8s and smaller 10s at similar ranges with the same recurve.

It just happens. It happens with compounds and rifles too.

Practice harder and find the determination within you. You chose to become a bowhunter because of the challenge. You chose to become a traditional bowhunter because you wanted the additional challenge. You'll succeed eventually and the reward will be that much sweeter.

I'm reminded of a friend who once missed a really big buck at 28 yards with his recurve. It tormented him so much that he reverted to his compound the next season. Then we met for lunch one day in November. That morning he missed a 15 yard dunk shot on a whopper buck he rattled in. Talk about depressed....all I remember him saying was how he wished he'd had his recurve for that shot.

It's not the weapon that misses a shot.

Kevin makes a good point. The biggest buck that I've ever killed popped out unexpectedly at 12 yards and quickly quartered away. I had a small window. I had an arrow nocked and the bow sat on my lap. From the time I saw him until the time my arrow entered his chest was probably 4-5 seconds. That buck would have gotten away if I had been using a compound.

OP
willfrye027
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Misery loves company. Headed out tonight with the wife, hoping she gets a chance at her first archery deer. Tomorrow is closer for archery, great conditions, gonna sit all day and hopefully get a second crack at him!

I knew when I picked up the stickbow that something like this would probably happen. I told myself the risk is worth the reward of using this equipment. It’s very easy to think that way before it actually happens!!

Good luck to all this fine Halloween day. Happy rut hunting 👍🏻

Beendare

WKR
5Miles is right. We have to know going in that our choice of a stick bow has its ups and downs. Its a difficult close range weapon to master.

That said, there are times when a compound or rifle is so effective...it takes the fun out of it...for me anyways.

My first year with a stick bow....I missed a 140 class buck on a layup shot at about 25 yds. I was shooting "Instinctive" at the time and had no clue how I missed.

That was when I decided I needed another aiming system that worked a little better.....grin

OP
willfrye027
This is most likely my last season living in whitetail country, but for next year here is how I could have prepped better.

Practice shooting more from treestand, especially steep angles.

Shoot more in low light. Need to get more comfortable with my sight picture in low light.

Don’t climb so dang high in the tree. Makes the easy shots harder.

The question for next year is do I buy a work of art from South Cox, or do I buy a fancy new compound shooting lasers of death at 300fps? We will see..

Missing is better than wounding. I have never missed a deer with a trad bow but I wounded one last year. I looked for two days for that deer and never found him. 2 weeks later I saw him still alive chasing does. I never filled my tag. Sometimes I wish there was an in between, some days the compound seems too easy and the stick bow seems impossible! I have been fortunate to have earned several kills with my longbows and recurves. Keep after it and don't skip a day of practice. Practice and build back your confidence.